Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

FreeUDMX!

FreeDM has seen little attention for a long time. UDMX is licensed so that its maps can be used. Permission was given and credits go to UNIDOOM.

Most textures need replaced with Freedoom textures. Try to keep the theme as similar as possible to the original map. Do not alter the maps if possible, small unnoticeable edits will work if used to line up textures. Do not alter gameplay just textures.

Claim a map!
Use the daily build as your iwad in the editor

MAP01 = GreyGhost
MAP03 = Catoptromancy
MAP06 = Done!
MAP20 = Catoptromancy

Ill be stripping the maps to separate wads and putting them on the repo sometime soon. Ill edit my first post so I can layout a maplist and people can sign up and pick a map.

Retextureing UDMX in a FreeDoom environment?! Sounds fun and interesting so I'm claiming Map 24 & 32.

Remember TNT still has many placeholders for textures, fences too!
If you need a new texture it must be made from scratch and same dimensions as a blank TNT one. You may also edit a current Freedoom texture to make a new one.

A couple of the freedm maps have promise (I think) but the first one at least is poor.

Does UDMX work in Vanilla Doom? One thing I always planned to do was remove the dependency of the FreeDM levels on Boom line types, so that Chocolate Doom could run with the FreeDM IWAD (this would allow Chocolate Doom into Debian main :-)

fraggle said:

(this would allow Chocolate Doom into Debian main :-)

Yeah.

(assuming you can find somebody to package it)

fraggle said:

Does UDMX work in Vanilla Doom? One thing I always planned to do was remove the dependency of the FreeDM levels on Boom line types, so that Chocolate Doom could run with the FreeDM IWAD (this would allow Chocolate Doom into Debian main :-)

The maps are all compatible (except for the Sonic map) in that they don't use any Boom specials. However, most of these maps are going to VPO in vanilla.

By the way, map30 is actually a pretty decent DM layout and was designed as a normal map in the beginning.

I have converted a few maps to vanilla before. Should not be too hard on most maps. Some lighting and ultradetail will need to be toned down quite a bit. The maps are fairly small being DM so most detail can be trimmed a bit without much noticable difference.

I would like my names on the 2 map slots remove since I have lost interest of this as of now. I have retexture nearly half of map 24 so if anybody wants to finish the rest shot out and I will email you the wad file.

I'll add it to my short list of commitments, in part because I'd like to see what texture substitutions you've made. Most of my work with Map01 has been patch/texture replacements, though I probably haven't the talent, patience or willpower to do them for the entire wad.

KingofBabylon said:

Freedoom sucks ass, but that's because it's still not anywhere near completed yet.

Thanks for your valuable contribution.

I've locked some of the threads you have pointlessly bumped to the top of the page, and deleted at least one duplicate post of yours. Please try to be constructive and don't resurrect old threads just for the sake of it.

Its just going to be freedoom with udmx maps. So probably not.
No udmx textures, sounds, music, graphics and such. Only maps.

EDIT > I am also working on this again.

Ralphis said:

The maps are all compatible (except for the Sonic map) in that they don't use any Boom specials. However, most of these maps are going to VPO in vanilla.

Even without the VPO, some maps require the Boom behavior of zero tags affecting the back sector. Shafted Flashback requires this behavior or the plasma switch screws up the entire level. Miami manslaughter uses the translucent line special, but that's minor.

Besides the maps, most of the maps will have tutti-frutti somewhere in Vanilla Doom. Finally, any maps that use a flat that shares a name with a patch (Such as Gridlock) will confuse the flat loader and trigger a "cachelumpnum >= NUMLUMPS" error upon map load.

Wagi said:

Even without the VPO, some maps require the Boom behavior of zero tags affecting the back sector. Shafted Flashback requires this behavior or the plasma switch screws up the entire level.

I'm afraid "the Boom behavior of zero tags affecting the back sector" is nonsense. It's important to realise Boom has no such behaviour. Did you mean

• the Boom behavior of zero tags affecting no sector
• the ZDoom behavior of zero tags affecting the back sector