Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DESPIS3D

I got a few questions

Hi Doom world! I'm still kinda new at this wad editor thing but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm using Doom Builder 2 btw. I just have a few issues. I've seen a video where a person made a map with high quality textures before. So I try it out using XWE to import the texture into the wad and the texture came out horrible.

Also In 3D Mode/Visual mode The highlight isn't working like it should be. I have highlights on and when I come over a object I could only highlight a "THING" such as player, objects, ect. I can't highlight walls nor floor or ceiling. Which makes it more difficult to do things in visual mode. Well not as difficult but it still a pain.

Here is a video of my textures coming out horrible:(Ignore the sprites question, I resolved that yesterday)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGfs0Slv75I

And here the video of the person who made textures with high quality. Especially pay attention at 1:45 when he get close up to the cat girl picture. It's not pixelated at all! I would love to do that. Since I see it in the video I know its possible but I don't know how.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aOn_YT8F-g

Also here are the texture I'm trying to use.
http://yfrog.com/eseridonthp
http://yfrog.com/eseridontp

One big and the other one is small like the textures that are in doom 2. Also does anybody know where this doom builder Manuel is located? I can not seem to find it. Even though doom builder 2 Manuel would be appreciated because I already found things that are not in doom builder 2 that are in doom builder while following some video tutorials . Also I'm sorry for blabbing on but if anybody knows a good site for tutorials I already check all youtube. I just love learning new things about this program it get me excited. Btw sorry for my poor grammar, sometimes I make too many mistakes without noticing. Well hope you people can help. ^_^

Don't know what's causing your 3D Mode problem though you could try pressing T once or twice to make things disappear and see if that makes highlighting easier.

Try using the Load (raw data) option in XWE, that'll prevent your textures from being automagically converted to the Doom graphics format.

There's currently no written manual for DB2, we're probably waiting for Dr. Sleep to be paroled.

Sadly it didn't work. When I loaded(Raw file)it wouldn't let me to send it to textures for some reason and then when I just loaded a regular file and then replaced (raw file) I got it to work but it still turn out horrible. Even with the big files. And yea I knew about turning the things off with T but it doesn't show the highlight still sadly. Thank for the reply ^_^

DESPIS3D said:

Hi Doom world! I'm still kinda new at this wad editor thing but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm using Doom Builder 2 btw. I just have a few issues. I've seen a video where a person made a map with high quality textures before. So I try it out using XWE to import the texture into the wad and the texture came out horrible.

High quality textures require a port that supports additional image formats than vanilla Doom, or at least a way to change the scale. In the video you posted, it's apparently Skulltag that's used, which is based on ZDoom. You can see here the various image formats supported by ZDoom and derivatives.

Okay, now this is important. You understand that Doom has only two native image formats: flats (used for floor and ceiling textures) and graphics (used for everything else, including sprites, wall texture patches, and interface/HUD elements). Everything else in unsupported.

Now you take XWE. XWE is a utility that knows what you want to do better than you. Obviously, if you're trying to put a trucolor PNG in a wad, it is because you want to convert it to 256-color graphics. You may think that you don't want that, but XWE knows better. So XWE does the conversion automatically. It's helpful that way. Great, isn't it?

That's (part of) why I prefer Slumped by far. Slumped only does what you tell it to do. If you want to import a picture, it imports it, period. It will not convert it unless you ask it to convert it.

That said, importing the picture without altering its format is not all you need. For something like picture, you've got to have hi-res as well, otherwise you still keep the 1 pixel = 1x1 map unit square thing. To put scaling information for your image, you need to create and use a TEXTURES lump.

THAT WORK! Ok but now I run into another problem in doom builder 2 I go into Visual mode/3d mode and I align the texture right and then when I test the game they line up all weird. Can't really explain it so I'll post a screen shot. The left one is in game test and the right one is in visual mode/3d mode

Does your texture has the WorldPanning keyword in its definition? If no, try adding it; if yes, try removing it.

Gez said:

Does your texture has the WorldPanning keyword in its definition? If no, try adding it; if yes, try removing it.

I really hate to ask, I don't want to annoy you but How do you do that? I'm confused and don't know the first step in doing this. Sorry I just started wad editing for a couples of day now.