Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaylomaster

Opening Cutscenes?

Hey again guys, I just discovered how to make a cinematic thanks to town infection's scripting in doom builder, and I was wondering, how do you make an opening cinematic? i wanna make one of the game's storyline up to the point where you play and i don't get what I have to do.

for any town infection players out there, i wanna make an opening screen kinda like the town infection one but more like showing the storyline. Like i want people moving, being teleported and stuff like that, and to make it look good.

Thanks,

KayloMaster

OK I guess I could help a litte:

Look at the ZDoom tutorials to find out how to use things like cameras and patrol routes.

You will need ACS to have text appear and so forth.

EDIT: WAIT I am confused. You seem to know about scripting and whatnot...what is it you need to know?

the iron hitman said:

Do you mean a cutscene when you immediately load the wad up (instead of a normal still image?) Or making a cinematic when you start the mission?

Well im thinking of making a cutscene when you go new game (and only when you start a new game, not just when you load a level), and i kinda want it unskippable so people can see what the story is about, but i want it to only come up once, and that is when you make a new game.

thanks for replying to my post

KayloMaster

Kaylomaster said:

i kinda want it unskippable so people can get a dick up their ass for no reason at all

fixed

Sorry, dude, I think that's a seriously bad idea. First of all, what if I start a new game a second time? Then I want to skip it. Second of all, some people just won't give a shit, and you wouldn't want them skipping your whole project just because they can't skip the intro.

Not to mention, you should try to make good levels before making doom addons with a deep story. Everyone here is playing a game that had almost no story - it was told mostly in the abstract scenery of doom. So, I'd say as a group we care more about gameplay. I think cutscenes usually don't even fit the doom atmosphere and they usually aren't backed up by good gameplay. AND, they usually suck to begin with.

Sorry for the rant, the point is nobody will like your 5 minute unskippable cutscene especially if it doesn't follow with excellent gameplay. You should certainly learn about acs and doing stuff that is beyond vanilla doom. However, to gain respect as a mapper and to hone your skills in on what is really important in a wad, you might want to just make some vanilla doom maps. I'm searching the database and can't find your name, so I assume you haven't uploaded anything. If so - beware! A huge project is not easy to take on for veteran mappers, let alone for someone learning the ropes. You will probably become overwhelmed and feel shitty that your project is failing. It's cool if you want to work on it a little bit at a time, learn new things as you go, and so on. I would just like to see you make a few no-strings doom levels first.

magicsofa said:

fixed

Sorry, dude, I think that's a seriously bad idea. First of all, what if I start a new game a second time? Then I want to skip it. Second of all, some people just won't give a shit, and you wouldn't want them skipping your whole project just because they can't skip the intro.

Not to mention, you should try to make good levels before making doom addons with a deep story. Everyone here is playing a game that had almost no story - it was told mostly in the abstract scenery of doom. So, I'd say as a group we care more about gameplay. I think cutscenes usually don't even fit the doom atmosphere and they usually aren't backed up by good gameplay. AND, they usually suck to begin with.

Sorry for the rant, the point is nobody will like your 5 minute unskippable cutscene especially if it doesn't follow with excellent gameplay. You should certainly learn about acs and doing stuff that is beyond vanilla doom. However, to gain respect as a mapper and to hone your skills in on what is really important in a wad, you might want to just make some vanilla doom maps. I'm searching the database and can't find your name, so I assume you haven't uploaded anything. If so - beware! A huge project is not easy to take on for veteran mappers, let alone for someone learning the ropes. You will probably become overwhelmed and feel shitty that your project is failing. It's cool if you want to work on it a little bit at a time, learn new things as you go, and so on. I would just like to see you make a few no-strings doom levels first.

ah i see what you mean. yeah, maybe the opening cutscene isn't so good after all now you say. i've been trying to post my maps but some levels have snow textures and stuff and i need to find out how to get someone to play the game without error symbols and that shit. If you know how i greatly appreciate it and i will post youtube videos of my levels under the username "KayloMaster", so i will get them soon and i will tell you when i post them

thanks for pointing me in the right track

KayloMaster

I think signs with exclamation marks mean there's no thing defined (like thing # 97 is your new decorate monster, but you didn't load the decorate lump into the game/wad)

You can use free quick-upload websites to post your wad file for review. They expire or whatever but are good to share with people quickly if you don't have your own webspace.

magicsofa said:

I think signs with exclamation marks mean there's no thing defined (like thing # 97 is your new decorate monster, but you didn't load the decorate lump into the game/wad)

??? so if im importing enemies to my wad, i will need to open the wad the monster/textures are in, and then just chuck the enemy into the lumps folder in something like XWE?

Scripted cutscenes to show the story are good for one thing, and one thing only: the titlemap. See Enjay's Burghead mod.