Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Okuplok

Speed of Doom demos [-complevel 9]

Blah! Finally, Map 26 UV-Speed...x_x

I'll either better this time or move back to finishing the project on Map 24. >_>

Time is decent, but playing is sloppy as all hell. Decided to record this after watching kimo-xvirus's demo on the old version without the chaingunner. That chaingunner at the end is a HUGE pain the ass. If his fat ass wasn't blocking the exit switch, he was pumping me full of lead. Didn't feel like ramming head against the wall trying for a 29. 0:28 achievable with more effort/luck by a better player.

As an addendum, I originally started to casually record some easy demos earlier this week, but it has quickly degenerated into a timesink of gargantuan proportions once I wanted to challenge timetables. Yikes...

Edit: Demo recorded with hud for no reason other than forgetting to turn it off after watching other demos. Please note in the arhives.

sod01-030.zip

Map 33 UV "Max" in 6:36. I missed the last secret, as I somehow sidestepped the secret trigger but got all the items. As I noted in the txt, I love this level and the music, so I'll do it again soon.

Route credit goes to Okuplok with some slight modifications, but comparatively, I was much sloppier (his style is ridiculously clean and smooth).

Edit: @ Vdgg

Thanks and good to know. Added to text, changed to GlBoom+, and reuploaded.

sd33-636.zip

Qaatar said:
I switched the "Preferred Weapon Order" in PrBoom+ to SSG first (9) then Plasma (6) [...] I don't know if this counts as any form of cheating

Cheating? no. Providing info of such a change is nice and encouraged, see TimeOfDeath's UV Speed demos (and txt files) on eternal for reference.

I always use GlBoom+ instead of PrBoom+ to watch and record demos [...] Does this make any difference in the demo itself, and should I note that it was recorded in GlBoom+ instead of PrBoom+ in the text file?

This is meaningless for me. You may write it or skip it.

vdgg said:

Cheating? no. Providing info of such a change is nice and encouraged, see TimeOfDeath's UV Speed demos (and txt files) on eternal for reference.
This is meaningless for me. You may write it or skip it.

Edited my above post to reflect changes. My question related to GlBoom+/PrBoom+ was in essence wondering if there are actually any structural differences in demos recorded between the two formats, or if the differences are purely cosmetic for the player.

Can finally sleep after getting this exit. Map 33 UV Max in 6:24.

Sloppiness abound, but for my abilities, this is pretty much it. I noted in the text that a better Maxer with more effort and aggressiveness can reach 5:5x, which is probably the optimal time.

Due to this map being so luck-based in the first 3 minutes or so, it is a very favourable map for Maxing, as one can feel comfortable restarting for even the slightest mistake. The latter descending elevator area is cake if one just manages cells correctly, so even for me there were rarely any screwups at that point.

Route credit, like my previous attempt, goes to Okuplok, with even more changes this time. I really want to see this level done in under 6 minutes (Tatsurd, Anima, ToD, or GGG?), as it's one of my favorites. :)

Just a table filler. Map 17 UV Max in 5:40.

...and in the context of this route, the secret makes this map a veritable nightmare to UV Max. Absolutely ridiculously hard (for me), but very well designed. Second exit in around 9 total hours of playing.

Overall, a very fun map otherwise.

sd17-540.zip

Nice demo! But as soon as I read the txtfile, I knew it could be improved already.. :P

That secret has been misinterpreted so many times as a secret that can only be reached with an archie jump. Actually, you can access it without one. There is a button in one of the alcoves revealed after grabbing the red skull key. It will lower the soulsphere down. But I guess the irony was I did actually intended for the secret to be only accessed by an archie jump but I figured it was probably too irrational. :P

Joshy said:

Nice demo! But as soon as I read the txtfile, I knew it could be improved already.. :P

That secret has been misinterpreted so many times as a secret that can only be reached with an archie jump. Actually, you can access it without one. There is a button in one of the alcoves revealed after grabbing the red skull key. It will lower the soulsphere down. But I guess the irony was I did actually intended for the secret to be only accessed by an archie jump but I figured it was probably too irrational. :P

AGH!!! I knew it...something had to be wrong with that secret. :) I also just looked through this thread and found your comment on the caged arch-viles in Map 33. I feel like such a dunce now.

Nevan said:

Map33 in 6:35.

Tatsurd can't tell me off this time!

Nice! Better route than Okuplok's/mine!

Back with some more intensely luck-based shit. At least it plays back on sodfinal.wad, so it's pure table filler garbage for now. Route credit to Anima/Gusta.

sd14-049.zip

Lol nice megawad, it's been sitting in my doom2 dir but I must have never actually loaded it up to try it. I think I will do that now. :P

Map 33 UV Max in 6:03.

Great route from Nevan, and credit goes to him. :)

This is it from me on this map, I think. If I had used the Hud, it would have cut the time to under six minutes. A better player can almost certainly do 5:5x, if not 5:4x. Almost died from an arch-vile when I was going back to check for stragglers, which would have been excruciating.

sd33-603.zip

Qaatar said:

Basically a "FDA" past the megasphere point. Two minutes can be taken off easily.

Good stuff! Would like to see how optimised it can be. ;-)

Not doing much here after eating dinner so I took a stab at improving the UV-Max time for map 19. Got a time of 5:45 after ~30-40 attempts.

Last 1/3rd of the run needs work plus I was a bit slow at opening up the exit, but everything else went smoothly...well, almost everything. There's the matter of me having an oh hell moment after opening the way up so I could collect the RK.

Thinking another 10-20 seconds could come off this with enough work put into it.

Pretty fun map I must say.

sd19-545.zip

After much complaining and dying as per usual after a first exit demo, I scored a very nice UV-Max improvement for map 19. Time for this new run is 5:06. I'd say it's very possible to score a 4:xx time here if everything lines up perfectly.

sd19-506.zip

woah, that was awesome. so many arrogant moves. :) the way you utterly destroyed the first archie was epic.

dew said:

woah, that was awesome. so many arrogant moves. :) the way you utterly destroyed the first archie was epic.

yeah, he moves so freely through that map. monsters? what monsters?