Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
General Rainbow Bacon

Speed Maps for Speedruns

Okay I dunno I just play, but if you're trying to do some little "snack" maps maybe it's good idea to do smaller areas and more monsters. And less height variance. Something like most Scythe maps but less detailed if you want to do speedmapping.

Here's another, hopefully better map I made this morning for speedrunners. Again, I want to see some super fast stuff from this one. Also, I would like to see some UV-max speeds. I'd like some feedback on the map-design of this one too. Enjoy!

dhspd2.zip

I liked it ! Much better than your other map, in my opinion.

However... The switch secret is tagged as lowering floor rather than lift, so it's pointless. I used an AV jump instead to get to the megasphere.

There's also a stuck zombieman in the green outdoor area, and it's possible to get stuck around sector 44 due to its shape.

The sector 26 etc. walls were rather annoying, hard to move in.

I liked the flow and pacing, and health and ammo balance were spot on. Good work.

dh2-308.zip

gggmork said:

Cool map bro. I think I was close to getting a new world record but I died at the end. I like the part with the stuff best.

best display of skillz since skogsto's 30nm. the chainsaw part is breathtaking. you are the prima ballerina of doom!

doomhero> try spacing the level more appropriately to the monster challenge you put in. it's a bit early-90's-style to have highway wide empty hallways with just several demons and imps that pose no threat, because they can't even catch or block you. the manco in the narrow mouth or the blue key area was good, but e.g. the baron in the cage or the final room fight is naive. it's good you're trying to build maps for speedrunning, but nowaways they need to be more compact and challenging.

@Phml: The switch secret isn't supposed to lower the platform with the megasphere; it's supposed to lower the AV platform so you can do an AV jump + rocket boost up to the red key. But if it does lower the megasphere platform, oops on my part, I made the map in just over an hour. I'm glad you enjoyed the map though.

@dew: I'll keep that in mind. Get ready for more of these! At least one a day for a little while.

Thanks guys!

it's supposed to lower the AV platform so you can do an AV jump + rocket boost up to the red key

I didn't meant it was supposed to lower the megasphere, I meant I thought it was supposed to make the AV + imp platform a lift.

As for lowering the AV + imp platform, this isn't needed. The position of the AV itself is meaningless for an AV jump in this situation, so the secret is pointless. Not sure what would a rocket boost come to do into this either, esp. as you're at most at 105/100 at this time, AV blast + rocket should kill the player.

@ Phml: Here's a demo of what I meant to happen. But, you're right, the secret switch is pointless, I'll remove it. I guess I've been elected to make the next speedmap pack, so when I release that, any problems in the levels will be fixed, including those annoying walls in the blue key hall. Enjoy my demo!

dhspd2-dh.zip

I didn't like that one (03). It's cramped, meaning you have to either go slow or rely on luck, and it's pretty much just "move forward, shoot, repeat" without any interesting choice. Once again another secret requires an AV jump (which is bad in itself if you ask me), once again that secret is meaningless to get to the megasphere, and using the intended path makes things harder - and is *required* for max, otherwise 1 HK and 1 AV stay hidden. The other secret is indistinguishable from anything else, and once again I had to use DB2 to actually find it.

I sound pretty negative and it wasn't all that bad, but during the whole map I couldn't help but think "trying too hard". It's like you've thought since dew said it was too easy, randomly throwing an archvile in every fight would make it hard enough. I'm exaggerating a bit but yeah. The result isn't hard, just tedious.

As a normal map, I'd rate it "ok", as something made for speedrunning I'd rate it "meh" - the way stuff is set up, there's just too much stuff that depends on luck for me to have fun recording.

I agree with you Phml. I personally, don't enjoy playing this map myself too much, but since I've decided to make the contents of this thread an eventual megawad, I want to put something in that everyone will like, at least a little. I won't put any more AV jump secrets in subsequent levels though. I just thought it was kinda neat to require the player to take punishment to find a secret. Tomorrow's map will be lighter on the AV's, heavier on the fun. Thanks for the input. By the way, did you check out my demo with the AV + rocket jump?

If anyone's waiting for today's map, unfortunately I didn't get to it today. I did start it, but I'm a little too tired to finish it tonight. dhspd4 will be up tomorrow sometime.

Well, there are quite a lot of hitscanners in it. And every door you open and shot you fire seems to bring out more. Which can be fun, but with hitscanners it tends to be a matter of luck whether you get drilled in the back before you even manage to pick up some armour. I gave up in frustration within a few minutes trying to play it properly.

@dew: Glad you liked it, but I can't help thinking it could be done in half the time.

It's a well-known quirk that you can get through any 32-unit horizontal or vertical gap. It's called a glide. You can either just run at the gap and hope for the best, or use some very gentle forward movement of the mouse to sneak through.