Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Six

Lit Walls

I have a weird light anomaly occurring in my custom map, i'm not really sure why it appears and how it can be resolved, but i've not really ever come across it before, at least i can't recall anyway.

The problem is here:

On the left you can see two textured walls 'lit' almost randomly, this also applies to the right screenshot, two textures also on the opposite side of the same room. These walls stay the same brightness at any angle, even from far distances, and i just can't figure out why this occurs or how to resolve it (if actually fixable).

I have a screenshot of my map in Doombuilder, if it's of any possible help:

I've circled the linedefs of which the light occurs on the texture, so what stupid thing have i done here for this to happen, or is it a case of it being some form of glitch?

Also, on something partially related, what's the recommended Node Builder to use when creating large scaled maps? ZenNode is beginning to struggle to build the map properly, it's causing all kinds of shit.

(I've switched to BSP but whether or not this is recommended i have no idea, but it works better than ZenNode).

Cheers!

The way Doom approximates lightning level on walls can be a bit wonky at times between walls of different angles. I noticed that only walls that are straight up-down in that area are lit, have you tried moving around one of the vertices making up the lines so that they wouldn't be straight and then checking out what it looks like?

If that's not it, the lines would probably be referring to a wrong sector, I guess.

That fixed it, strangely enough. Any ideas why this occurs in the first place? Pretty peculiar.

My only concern now is the Node Builder, if anyone has suggestions.

It's the internal logic Doom uses for shading walls. The only fix I know of is ZDoom's "smooth lighting" flag in MAPINFO.

It's a method used by Id Software to accentuate contrast on angles, because if the walls are all at the same brightness level they can seem "flat". However, given that the original engine only supports steps of 16 units for light levels, they restricted this effect to orthogonal walls. ZDoom introduces two options, evenlighting (all walls are at sector lighting level, which may make them seem flat) and smooth lighting (a gradual application of the fake contrast which looks quite nice IMO).

yea if u want to avoid it just don't use perfectly 90 degree walls. its a fake contrast thing programmed into the game engine to make rooms look a little more dynamic. but when you have a a circular room like yours then it looks messed up.

If you NEED the walls to be straight for whatever reason you can also use a light transfer special (in case you use Boom or something that supports it)

I made a little example wad to show what I mean.
http://ptoing.net/post/doom/lighttest.wad

From playing around I gathered that on North/South facing walls you need to make the sector to light the wall 16 units brighter (one step) and on East/West facing walls 16 units darker. And then just use the same ref sector or whatever to get the lighting of the ceiling and floor back to where it needs to be.