Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BilboHicks

ScoreDoomST 97c2R3

The beta has been discontinued, until I remove all the skulltag related content out of the base wad. The skulltag team have a download link to the correct skulltag.wad for players to use for extra skins etc... for SDST.

I currently have all the add-on pack and boss-rush code ported over, and after initial testing (and some reverse engineering of the decorate to get the pack to load), there were some quirks with the add-on pack content, but by and large many of the monsters looked to work ok. So a lot of tweaking with the code and decorate is left for add-on pack support.
The core gameplay seems to be working fine though. Phew, Now to catch up with real life ;P

Beta 2 is out.
It comes included with it's own add-on pack. (SDST-ADDONPACK.wad)
The add-on pack gives

* Over 250 monsters.
* Over 15 artifacts
* alt-fire modes: double-speed/double inaccuracy for chaingun,
grenade launcher for the rocket launcher,
rail gun for the plasma rifle
mini-nuke for the bfg.
* Points Bunny (Daisy) & Zombie Scientist Bonuses
* Boss-Rush modes for E1M8, E2M8, E3M8 type levels :-)

The SDST add-on pack is similar to the regular ScoreDoom add-on pack.

The master server address is the same.There is a server running on the same address (port 10666).

The point of the game: : Score as many points as possible across how many levels you want to play across vs other players. Games can be reset/restarted with the 'MAP' vote, or reaching a finale like MAP30, or a finale like map E1M8, E2M8, E3M8, E4M8.

Basically its like a Smash-TV version of Doom: Arcade-Coop.
In the future I hope to support Skulltag time-limit, point-limit and map-lists.
download & read-me @:
http://www.scoredoom.com/scoredoomSTBeta-README.html

There is a Master Server for ScoreDoomST up at: 99.67.224.186:15300 which you can use for Idese

Or the ScoreDoomST client internal browser, via the ini:
cl_masterip=99.67.224.186
sv_masteroverrideip=99.67.224.186
sv_masterip=99.67.224.186

any feedback is appreciated.

Btw: The beta 2 add-on pack support is totally fubared, in terms of network synching. I should of called it alpha 2 :P

There were huge differences in what the clients were spawning vs the server and other clients. That has been fixed now, thankfully a quick & easy fix once I got my head around what was going on. So a ton of the quirkiness apparent when playing with the add-on pack has gone, its a lot more solid now.
There are still a few minor problems, oddly related to lost soul replacement sprites hanging around after death sometimes, like the rictus, but this should be quick decorate fixes.
Next step is to implement skulltag-esque point-limit, time-limit & proper maplist support. So games can be played across levels but with set total-time limits & points limits to decide the winner, and at the end of map-lists rather than just finales.
Then I should have a veritable beta out.

Why isn't there any more interest in this than there is? I find it fantastic that someone is making good use of the Skulltag Source release.

A few questions:

1. Have you talked to bond and Blzut3 about getting ScoreDoomST added to IDE/Doomseeker?
2. Do you need server hosting? I would be willing to host a few.

I am not noticing the "ouchface" when the player takes 20 or more damage nor am I seeing the X/Y sprite billboard option in the options page.

@ AlexMax: Thanks man.
No I haven't talked to them yet about adding it, but yeah, a good idea, even to get more beta testers.
As far as hosting, yes, I would be cool with that.

Since its a one-man show atm, I am still working through some 'technicalities' hehe... like I had a server running but it crashed (and 'kicked' all the players out obviously ) due to a superfluous assertion, since I forgot to update my debug server with the release version :P ...but I'm still very conscious of real bugs.

I will PM you, and contact bond and Blzut3 this week to get this sorted. Fortunately GhostlyDeath's http://gstmaster.sourceforge.net/ is compatible with the version of ST I'm using, so I'm using that, and I think having a reliable master server is paramount too.

@ Mr Chris:
Thanks for the feedback. The ouchface sounds like is a 0.97c2 skulltag issue. What would help me is that if you could tell me if it happens with/without playing with the SDST-ADDONPACK? Since 0.97c2 does have problems with compensating for DECORATE changes like player health defaults.
X/Y Billboard? Hmmn, This may not of been a feature with ST 0.97c2. Since I havent made a point of removing it.

Btw, I am not using the addon pack while playing so I doubt it's the pack's fault.

If Skulltag is based off ZDoom, it should happen because ZDoom fixed the ouchface bug. If you look at http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Ouch_face , it also shows the correct code to show it so it should be easy to fix if it's the old code in st_stuff.c present in the current version of ScoreDoom.

And yes, the sprite billboard is only for the X axis and not both X and Y.

One last thing, you have the word "effecting" on the ScoreDoom Scoredoom settings page spelt with the wrong word..it should be "affecting". That's what at least I think and Meriam Webster think

Just an update: I'm now running 2 servers, a second one on port 10667 without the add-on pack. The add-on pack support will remain in beta (use at own risk) status until I sort out the remaining server crashes with it.( I've been able to play through all of E1 in UDoom with it for instance, but I noticed the server crashed on MAP13 of Doom2 with 2 people playing.)
The server on port 10667 should be just as stable as a regular ST 97c2 server.
There is also the 'unknown weapon type' bug in skulltag 97c2 which can kick you if you click fire during intermissions. I hope to resolve that for the final release, but for now don't click fire during intermissions :-) What sucks about this bug is that when you are kicked you lose all your accumulated points.

Mr. Chris said:

Btw, I am not using the addon pack while playing so I doubt it's the pack's fault.

If Skulltag is based off ZDoom, it should happen because ZDoom fixed the ouchface bug. If you look at http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Ouch_face , it also shows the correct code to show it so it should be easy to fix if it's the old code in st_stuff.c present in the current version of ScoreDoom.

And yes, the sprite billboard is only for the X axis and not both X and Y.

One last thing, you have the word "effecting" on the ScoreDoom Scoredoom settings page spelt with the wrong word..it should be "affecting". That's what at least I think and Meriam Webster think

I will look into fixing the ouchface. And yes, I think you are right it should be "affecting" in that context.

EDIT: Apologies for people trying to connect on port 10667. There was some chippiness with my firewall/idese and possibly my master server, which for some reason was reporting the game running on port 10667 as running on port 53672. Eitherway you should now be able to connect on port 53672 or 10667.

Beta, updated to v3b. grab from usual: http://www.scoredoom.com/scoredoomSTBeta-README.html
Major server stability fix ( hopefully).

It fixes a major bug with players disconnecting & monster infighting. The server would crash after a player would leave, when/before infighting happened and I thought it was add-on pack related (even though it made no technical sense) , since it would happen seemingly always with the add-on pack. Probably because there is more infighting with the add-on pack that I was seeing it more.
Regardless, this patch should fix server stability considerably, with or without add-on pack. My test server is running it now.
Still some polishing to do with aesthetics when using the add-on pack.

Yet another update to the 'final' beta :P, download & more info here: http://www.scoredoom.com/scoredoomSTBeta-README.html

The 'Using unknown weapon type' 97c2ST bug should be squashed now which sometimes caused players clicking on fire during intermissions to be kicked. (Thanks to Torr Samaho for the help!)

Other major bug fixes too.

I'm planning for this to be the last beta before the first full release late spring/early summer. Got the week off work, so I want to relax & play some catch up on the latest wad releases, as well as play some STALKER C.O.P. & L4D2 :P

@dljosef: Will also get those new wads on the hi-score server this week for real.

Was the ouchface not showing fixed in beta4? What about the wonky behavior occurring with my PK3 (I can email/megaupload a link to it if you wanna view it to see why) I've described?

Mr. Chris said:

Was the ouchface not showing fixed in beta4? What about the wonky behavior occurring with my PK3 (I can email/megaupload a link to it if you wanna view it to see why) I've described?

Sorry man, I was busy working on showstopper bugs for beta4, and forgot to add that fix. I am definitely adding the ouchface fix for the final release, since it is a cool feature.

As far as the wonky behavior, I thought Gez explained that in the other thread. SD & SDST are using older versions of the zdoom engine which will not tolerate actors having the same decorate name (as they may have completely different attributes). Newer versions of zdoom will throw up a warning, and most likely are simply using the last actor it finds for that decorate name. So you will need to rename at least 1 of the clashing actor names.
Are there other problems happening?

EDIT: The ouchface is fixed now. It was actually a bit of a pain to fix, as it was not working in my version of gzdoom/zdoom that I was using, and that code has pretty much changed a lot from the code snippet on the doom wiki. I noticed that Randy re-wrote all that code for the newer zdoom241. For some reason the SDST status bar is only showing ammo for me (nothing else, not even the mugshot). I just noticed this as I never play with it up, as the ST full screen mode I much prefer. Hopefully fixing that will be easy, as I can apply the exact same fix to it, as I did to SD.
I have to say, thanks for bringing this to my attention, even if I dont play much with the status bar, it is very cool, too bad the original doom exes never got the fix.

EDIT2: Lol. For me at least, the missing stats & face on the status bar happens when you are in OpenGL mode. Software mode works fine. I verified that this is happening in vanilla ST 97c2 as well. Weird, as it renders the ammo stat fine. It happens on my other computer as well, with different hardware, so it looks to be a bug with that version of skulltag and/or zdoomgl rendering code. I'm honestly not that bothered about it for now.

I updated the beta again to fix a critical bug whereby if a player left the server before a level ended, and another player finished the level, the server would crash (ouch)

Many other tweaks and enhancements, particularly:

* The SDST server now properly remembers the point count that a (non-kicked) disconnected player had. So players can rejoin the action with their previous score, even if the game has moved onto another level (unless a point limit, map-rotation limit or finale limit was met, and all points get reset).
* The server console has been pruned and modified to be SDST specifc.

Other changes in Beta5, other info and download here (if it says 'Beta4' clear your cache :P ): http://www.scoredoom.com/scoredoomSTBeta-README.html

In lieu of any other unforseen bugs, the last major thing to complete is a proper SDST launcher. Until I get around to developing an SDST plugin for Doomseeker, players will need to use the ST 97c2 Idese client for now, which basically works fine, except SDST has slightly different master server querying due to player points & point-limit fields being larger than standard ST launchers can handle, not a big deal really (just player points can look weird in the browser).

I also uploaded some media showcasing basic multiplayer gameplay & scoring in SDST, as well as the last half of a Boss Rush on E1M8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpJmrmKJPIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz16lrGzpD8

I have a full release candidate up. Download from usual:
http://www.scoredoom.com/scoredoomSTBeta-README.html

Summary of changes:
* SDST Add-on pack is now enforced on client authentication.
-Since ScoreDoomST is hardcoded to use the SDST-Add-on Pack, clients that try and connect to a
server will be audited to see if they should be playing with the add-on pack, and if so, if
they have the 'correct' version that the server is running. Clients will be kicked if (i) they
need to add the pack, (ii) they need to remove the pack, (iii) they need to get the correct version
that the server is using.

If nothing showstopping shows up, full release will be this weekend.

* Extra health drops lessened.

* Tweaks to SDST add-on pack, including making the Boss-Rush more challenging.

Full release planned for tomorrow/this weekend.

bond has very kindly provided a tailored version of IDE for ScoreDoomST.

The current pre-release had a major bug (introduced by my fix to check for the SDST-ADDONPACK.WAD), whereby the server would allow you to join, but kick you after level change.
Thats been fixed of course.

Other tweaks and minor fixes:
including...
general health and armor drops have been reduced some.
Boss Rush is much much harder now, like it should be -> No artifacts and health/armor drops, and the amount of ammo dropped by bosses is toned down a lot.
Also updated the website considerably to be less of a text-dump, and more user-friendly like a website :p http://www.scoredoom.com

hi score tables look better now.

The SDST 97c2 release has been patched to 97c2R3. This fixes the intermittent level-change crashes that were happening, with and w.o. the add-on pack being loaded.
R3 has it's own net-version, so you will need R3 clients to join R3 servers.

I also updated the SDST add-on pack to tone down the Inferno Demon's death sequence a-helluva-lot as some people were allegedly experiencing server crashes because of it. Download from http://www.scoredoom.com

I also have 2 'permanent' servers running at 99.67.224.186. Doom2 running w.o. the add-on pack and UDoom running with the pack.

I noticed that the website was updated, but are the new monsters in the addon pack of the single-player scoredoom yet?

The STScoredoom's looking good so far, btw.

I'm a little ashamed to use the older ScoreDoom since it's based on GZDoom and the rendering is a little slower, notably when picking up a heap of armor/health bonuses and a few other events. (And missing the ouchface)

My question was why not just have a single release that both single and multiplayer choices so you don't need two versions of ScoreDoom?

@gun_psycho:
Not sure what you mean by new monsters. Does Realm667 have some new content? I don't plan to add any more to the 'official' add-on pack supported by the hi score server, since that would invalidate the add-on pack hi score tables.

I may maintain an 'unofficial' add-on pack for ScoreDoom along with any new monsters I *may* add to the ScoreDoomST pack.

I do plan to upload a patched ScoreDoom which fixes a couple of minor bugs (including ouchface). The add-on pack will also be updated to fix the Incubus, since it does not have A_BossDeath in its death state, not good for map07 specials! And I will be adding those wads to the high scores tables too, of course.

@Mr. Chris:
By older ScoreDoom I take it you mean relative to ScoreDoomST? Actually the gzdoom renderer in ScoreDoom is supposedly faster and less buggy (I can attest to this) than the zdoomgl renderer in ScoreDoomST. That's why later versions of skulltag moved to the gzdoom renderer. As you may know, you can play multiplayer with regular ScoreDoom also.

The main reason that I have 2 versions, is expedience, as well as the fact that I was basically through with working on the SD engine in earnest (thus SDST was a conversion project). Furthermore, SDST was built from a familiar, but still significantly different codebase than SD was built from. Much of the single-player code I added to SD was not required for multiplayer (the only reason I worked on SDST). Also there were large differences in actual decorate support, let alone proper client-server support for the decorate functions, etc..., etc... It wasn't practical to merge both projects.

So I look at SD and SDST as 2 sides of the same coin. SD essentially for single-player hi scores, and SDST for proper multiplayer. There are some minor differences in the add-on pack content, as well as SDST requiring the add-on pack for alt-fire, but I think that these differences are kind of cool :-)

Will you be giving the single player version periodic updates (IE as previously mentioned by me and so forth)?

Mr. Chris said:

Will you be giving the single player version periodic updates (IE as previously mentioned by me and so forth)?

You mean ouchface? :-) That will be in the update, like I mentioned in the last post. But, no, I'm not going to be adding any more updates beyond that. Though like I mentioned in the previous post, I *may* 'unofficially' update the sd-addonpack with new monsters from Realm 667 if I feel up to it.

@Bilbohicks - Yes, there is new content in Realm667, which is what I meant by new monsters. By the way, one of the new monsters includes a marine with a nasty quad shotgun.

Edit: I don't mind the idea of there being an "unofficial" addon pack, so it'll be great to battle those new monsters.

You may want to edit the Fire Imp because his DECORATE is making him use his gib death instead of his normal death for non-gibbing death. Also, the Plasma Zombie I grabbed from R667 shows him with a plasma gun, not the player's rifle. :)

Since this is a SD as well as SDST topic now, I just wanted to FYI that I updated the 'Hi-Score Tables' page on scoredoom.com with some cool features.

It now lists Level & Wad Hi-Score Champions for each hi score table, as well as Supreme Level & Wad Hi-Score Champions.

For a hi-score table, a Wad Hi-Score Champion is the player with the most total cumulative wad hi scores for that table, similarly for the Level Hi-Score Champion.

The (Wad or Level) Supreme Champion is the player with the most total cumulative hi scores points across all 4 hi-score tables.

Heh, is anyone surprised that I'm the current supreme champion? Then again, I will try to fight my way through the rest of the nintendo hard megawads with the addon pack in "No Infighting" mode because I'm nuts like that. (Not masochistic enough for hardcore mode, though.)

I'll also be looking forward to that "unofficial" add-on pack as well.

gun_psycho said:

Heh, is anyone surprised that I'm the current supreme champion? Then again, I will try to fight my way through the rest of the nintendo hard megawads with the addon pack in "No Infighting" mode because I'm nuts like that. (Not masochistic enough for hardcore mode, though.)

I'll also be looking forward to that "unofficial" add-on pack as well.

Haha, Yeah the HR score in No-Infighting mode (which also means absolutely no monster<->monster damage either) is impressive.

I also added another section to the 'Hi Score Tables' page: 2 more leader-boards listing the top overall/supreme wad hi scorers and top overall/supreme level hi scorers.

Other than the SD (& add-on pack) patch, re-adding add-on pack checking to SDST, and getting those new wads on the hi score server, everything else is very low priority.
To be honest over the summer I can only see me just getting the SD patch out, and adding the new wads to the server you requested. I have a lot of stuff going on, and I'm frankly tired with working on the mod! Though like I mentioned *if* I end up adding more custom monsters & updates to the SDST add-on pack, I will make sure to update the sd add-on pack for 'unofficial' use ;-)

To wrap things up, before years end, I plan to release the SDST source as well as the latest hi score server php & mysql scripts. The hi score server source is a bit of a mess, but it works.

@Bilbohicks - I'll start working on a beastiary of the entire scoredoom custom monster lineup (of the official addon pack anyway), only I'll keep it simplified. (Just keep in mind that the danger ratings I give each custom monster and my comments on each of them are my personal opinions on them... though I won't forget to add specific hints on how to defeat each of them.)

Edit: On the hints part, I meant the particularly tough or annoying (or both) enemies.