Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReFracture

Vile Flesh - Legacy Edition

Ever since this came out I wanted to play it.. but the servers hosting it were always having problems.. so I'd say on average I've tried to find a download for this wad maybe once every year since then.. and now I come to find the only place it existed in had it all deleted..

All I did was email him and ask if he could send me it since the download links were all dead, and he just drops some big rant on me about how doom is evil and I should try to picture jesus playing it or whatever..I'm not religious so I really don't care.

Was this wad worth anybody's time at all? if so could anybody who perhaps still has it send me it?

Mike.Reiner said:

All I did was email him and ask if he could send me it since the download links were all dead, and he just drops some big rant on me about how doom is evil and I should try to picture jesus playing it or whatever..I'm not religious so I really don't care.

So the rumors that he completely went nuts are true indeed...

BTW - I hear Jesus is crap at deathmatch (insists on turning the other cheek) but almost godly when doing pacifist speedruns. ;-)

From what I've seen of Jive's Legacy edits of other wads, I think chances are pretty high that you'd be better off playing the original version unless you like sickly off-color, visibly mirrored skies, recolored sprites and texture replacements included for no reason, other modifications of often dubious quality, and intermission texts thanking you for downloading the wad from Jive's site.

Graf Zahl said:

Correction, he went even MORE nuts. :p

esselfortium said:

From what I've seen of Jive's Legacy edits of other wads, I think chances are pretty high that you'd be better off playing the original version unless you like sickly off-color, visibly mirrored skies, recolored sprites and texture replacements included for no reason, other modifications of often dubious quality, and intermission texts thanking you for downloading the wad from Jive's site.

I see, perhaps I was not missing much all these years.

Graf Zahl said:

kristus said:

Correction, he went even MORE nuts. :p

Based on his rationale for leaving Doom behind and the fact he pointlessly made a big deal about his wads only being available on his website, I'd have to concur.

esselfortium said:

Wow. I forgot how all over the place Jive's Legacy edits were. I wish I could forget them again. ):

Jive's edits sucked and he didn't even ask for permission from what I recall (he would get angry when people brought this up and would say it was not necessary). Good riddance to his "work". No idea why you'd want to play the edited WAD instead of the original.

"I have to say that I have deleted (destroyed) voluntarily my sites related to Doom, absolutely not compatible with my spiritual activity..."

What, playing a FUCKING VIDEO GAME? Christ...

myk said:

Jive's edits sucked and he didn't even ask for permission from what I recall (he would get angry when people brought this up and would say it was not necessary). Good riddance to his "work". No idea why you'd want to play the edited WAD instead of the original.

Indeed. I guess I should have asked about this years ago, because the original is indeed the one I should be playing.

Wow, Jive sure went off the deep end by actually disassociating himself with the Doom community..

Jive always made my brain hurt by a) using french words, with french spellings, in the place of english equivalents, b) using french idioms in english (didn't help that he used them constantly, turning his walls of text into a lin menjyu-style rant) and c) being a total dramaqueen when someone ever told him his edits were odd, un-needed and actually did more harm than good. He would also have odd behavior of "e-stalking" and lashing out with jivetext at anyone that dare mock his work. he did it at newdoom, he did it at drdteam forums, and when told to stop, he just started PMing nonsense instead.

Jive always claimed that his denouncers are those with black tongues: I believe that he himself had a careless tongue and didn't know when to stop using it.

I honestly believe that a single thread on zdoom forums was enough to create this "excuse" he has going of being a christian convert or whatever. However, it *could* be true because this same thing happened to Project DogWaffle, where the programmer suddenly deleted fucking everything and told his users to stop pursuing art to fill a jesus-shaped void. Apparently, He forgot to consider the groups who used his software for actual business purposes. Someone else now sells the software at a ridiculous price.