Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ominuka

Doom story and the Doom Novels in Doom 4 or next Doom movie?

I've read all the novels on Doom from Daffyd ab Hugh. They are pretty decent books btw. I found the story very interesting and I thought they could really take some concepts from these novels and use them in the Doom series.

For those of you not familiar with these first novels (not the ones made after the Doom movie):

The main character is of course CPL Flynn Taggart (aka Fly) who's been sent to Mars because of his failure to obey orders. Afterwards of course, everything has already gone bad, but we have Imps, Pinkies, Cacademons, etc.

The movie doesn't touch on anything but Zombies, Pinkies (one), an Imp and a Hell Knight. I honestly think they could have done without the whole "genetics" thing as a reason why there were "monsters". It doens't make any sense for the mutations.

In the novels, however, it's explained that eventually the "demons" were really constructed by a race of aliens who wanted to cause further fear in humans and decided to make something of thier nightmares.

The novels are pretty lengthy and there are more concepts which I feel could be used in the next Doom series or movie.

What do some of you think?

Hi. The Doom novels are pretty well-known around these parts, and they've got their fans and those who dislike them. I merely bought them to add to my meager Doom-related collection.

There are new Doom 3 novels, I only have the first one, I guess it's alright but interestingly, I don't think flowed as well as the Doom novels.

The Doom books were okay until the aliens and hyperspace travel. Then things went downhill quick and stayed there.

Regarding Doom 3, Doom 4 and so on, the bummer is that they need to hire writers for the game stories. Why the fuck lazy bums can't imagine their own back stories to throw into the game, is beyond me. Instead, they're desperate that having a FPS means a no story cliche, so they hire a stranger to do the patchy, unnecessary work. It's like they really can't program something interesting, they're only interested on the 3d graphics tech, and can't bother having fun with the game itself any more, so they throw money around to have a finished, shippable product. Like what that Activision CEO said.

If I had a game, I'd rather keep the rights of the story to myself and my group, rather than a freelancer.

printz said:

Regarding Doom 3, Doom 4 and so on, the bummer is that they need to hire writers for the game stories. Why the fuck lazy bums can't imagine their own back stories to throw into the game, is beyond me. Instead, they're desperate that having a FPS means a no story cliche, so they hire a stranger to do the patchy, unnecessary work. It's like they really can't program something interesting, they're only interested on the 3d graphics tech, and can't bother having fun with the game itself any more, so they throw money around to have a finished, shippable product. Like what that Activision CEO said.

If I had a game, I'd rather keep the rights of the story to myself and my group, rather than a freelancer.

You are of course correct in what you say here. But in a lot of cases, the opposite can also be true. If you get the right writer, he can take a bunch of really good creative ideas and bring them together to give a game a really good backstory, keeping the story focused, driven and in perspective. Having good ideas is one thing, being able to turn those ideas into a watertight story that doesn't get in the way of a game is more of an art than it sounds.

Having total control over your ideas is good in theory, but very often it doesn't work. I hold up the three most recent star wars films as classic examples of this, where ol' Mr Lucas had complete and total control over every aspect of the films, and look at what a rambling, pointless pile of disjointed crap he made of them.

I heard a rumor that Steven Spielberg was going to have directed those three films. I don't know if this is true or not, but one can only wonder at the final result if this had been the case.

Kyka said:

I heard a rumor that Steven Spielberg was going to have directed those three films. I don't know if this is true or not, but one can only wonder at the final result if this had been the case.

Lots of laser whips and MacGuffins, that's for sure.