Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MSPaintR0cks

Idea for a community wad

Let me hear what you think about this one. I think it has quite some potential. (=

Everyone who wants to participate downloads a provided wad, containing an unfinished and half-baked level with lots of empty spaces and only fractions of rooms, areas, things and buildings here and there. And your goal would be to use your imagination, complete the level and make it as different and interesting as possible, while using and connecting all the given sectors. Rules could be that you can fill the sectors with as much stuff as you like, as long as you keep them recognizable and don`t change their shape. Also, you could add as much sectors as you like to conncect them and to create new areas around them.

So it's basically a tune up challenge? Just we'd be give less map to work with?

Sounds cool, I'd do it. In fact, If enough people want to do this. I'll make the half-baked level to be worked on.

Yes, you are right, even if it would be less about tuning up.

For example, just imagine E1M1 would look like this:

You would have familiar places, but also unlimited possibilites to expand on it. In this form, E1M1 could be made as a spaceship, a castle, temple or even maybe a village in a forest.
A challenge here would be that you have to integrate the pool of acid and the little fragments of the rooms on the right believably into the surrounding you create.

I think making it Boom compatible would be the best idea (most of the other community projects do that too). This way you can use your own textures, skies, music and so on. We should see what others think about that.

I think this is a cool idea but I don't think it will get many mappers atm as there are a lot of other community projrcts going atm

I agree with darkreaver, it should be doom 2, and a texture pack would be cool. You've got me as a mapper though, I'm not in any other projects except my solo stuff right now.

We discussed something similar in the 1994 tune-up thread.

My take was: "Someone makes a 'base' layout, not too basic/boring but only uses 128 high sectors, no height variance, no monsters etc. Then mappers take that map, keep to the general shape/form but build their own map in it. They could put doors, monsters, keys, secrets, exit etc anywhere they like but the idea is that the player coming into the map would expect it to be similar to the map they just played... but different, kind like a map pack of parallel dimensions ;)"

You could perhaps even allow mappers to change where the player starts in the map (and where the exit is) as well.

I'd love to get in on this except I've more or less resolved to get a couple of my 8 million unfinished solo projects done first. It's a great idea though.

Sounds cool. If anything comes of this, I will take one of the maps, as I have no projects of real importance right now.

I just brought this thread back to live to see if anyone is still interested in that idea. =D

traversd said:

We discussed something similar in the 1994 tune-up thread.

My take was: "Someone makes a 'base' layout, not too basic/boring but only uses 128 high sectors, no height variance, no monsters etc. Then mappers take that map, keep to the general shape/form but build their own map in it. They could put doors, monsters, keys, secrets, exit etc anywhere they like but the idea is that the player coming into the map would expect it to be similar to the map they just played... but different, kind like a map pack of parallel dimensions ;)"

You could perhaps even allow mappers to change where the player starts in the map (and where the exit is) as well.

This is actually very similiar to what I had in mind.

StupidBunny said:

I'd love to get in on this except I've more or less resolved to get a couple of my 8 million unfinished solo projects done first. It's a great idea though.

Why don't you just pool those wads in the list that people can finish?

This is tailor made for new mappers like myself, who have tons of ideas but lack the ability to string them into a proper map at the moment. If this is a serious project I'll submit something.

I'd love to help on this (Doom 2 though please ;) )! Good Idea though! Custom entities would be thrilling as well.

I think that is a decent idea, considering how many people are interested, by I personally am not interested - I prefer to make my maps from scratch, from my own own ideas.

Your idea made me wonder if there has even been something like a "Chainmapping" event here as there was for Quake: everybody creates a small (portion of a) map, like a speedmap, and then another person, or better yet, all participants try to glue them together in different ways to make a full map.

I know there was a proyect with "largest map" I only played once without finishing. Although I can't remember how it was called...

So. As I'm currently reading this, someone eliminates most of the contents of the Doom II maps, and sends one or more maps to each participant. Put me down for MAP28, please.

I'd be interested in participating in this. All we really need to do is get a map up by someone and get going. I'm assuming MSPaintR0cks will be organizing stuff? Also, would we be using a texture pack or just straight Doom II? If it's going to be a single wad I'd imagine we'd want as few user textures as possible.

I suggest you start by having submissions of empty maps first, then chose the best (say 5?) and do an ep of chain-mapping (for 5 large maps) or 'versions' of the map from each mapper (probably at most 3 empty maps would be used, just to keep within vanilla map# limits). Give like 2 weeks for the empty map submissions and 1-2 months for the other bit.