Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom_Collector

Doom game for Facebook

Is there a way id software/ZeniMax to make money from Facebook Doom? If not - don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen.

You're all speaking as if you really expected a 3D Doom running in a browser with smooth controls, sound etc.

Get over it, it can't be done without resorting to specialized plugins, and Facebook is not using those for its applications -not even Java or Flash. Even Fish Isle takes up like 200 MB of RAM when running, FFS!

I think i'll port Doom to Javascript and Canvas. The minimum system requirements would be some version of Netscape and a 2GHz processor because Javascript is slow as hell.

GhostlyDeath said:

I think i'll port Doom to Javascript and Canvas. The minimum system requirements would be some version of Netscape and a 2GHz processor because Javascript is slow as hell.

You're really underestimating the performance hit here. Just check out how much CPU occupancy and RAM an apparently simple game like "Fish Isle" takes, and then we're talking. Let alone that development/debugging would be hell, especially without a C-free implementation of Doom to step on.

Just wait until Stroggos and me pop out some workable Java and C# implementation of Doom (yes, we're seriously considering it, and yes, I mean DOOM, not a Maze War engine with "Doom" slapped on it) and then others may follow, including Javascript, once the nasty C-isms are taken out. Jake2 is a good example of how such a transformation may be achieved.

But in the meantime, making a direct leap to Javascript would be near impossible (even one to Java requires a lot of redesign) and fruitless (in the sense that it couldn't be used as a "lesson learned" for other languages).

fraggle said:

I refer you to my original reply - I have nothing against a browser-based version of Doom, but there is no point in making it depend on Facebook. To do so would restrict the user base, or from another perspective, force people to use Facebook to play Doom.

What I don't understand is: why a "Facebook version" of Doom? What would be the point of that?

Well maybe they could make like a browser facebook multiplayer thing... Or maybe just a plain 'ol Doom Online.

Clonehunter said:

Well maybe they could make like a browser facebook multiplayer thing... Or maybe just a plain 'ol Doom Online.

If they want that, they should get the game from Steam and use a source port to play together..how hard can it be for users of Facebook? :|

Cjwright79 said:

I daresay anyone with functional sex organs and/or a history of liking other people will be on facebook. Prove me wrong!

I have neither and am on Fatbook.

Maes said:

You're really underestimating the performance hit here. Just check out how much CPU occupancy and RAM an apparently simple game like "Fish Isle" takes, and then we're talking. Let alone that development/debugging would be hell, especially without a C-free implementation of Doom to step on.

Which is why I set the minimum system requirements so high.

Maes said:

Just wait until Stroggos and me pop out some workable Java and C# implementation of Doom (yes, we're seriously considering it, and yes, I mean DOOM, not a Maze War engine with "Doom" slapped on it) and then others may follow, including Javascript, once the nasty C-isms are taken out. Jake2 is a good example of how such a transformation may be achieved.

Why wait when I can code it myself? I do have a Java Doom workspace in my directory tree. This post is the only mention of my work.

Maes said:

But in the meantime, making a direct leap to Javascript would be near impossible (even one to Java requires a lot of redesign) and fruitless (in the sense that it couldn't be used as a "lesson learned" for other languages).

Nothing is impossible, just very unlikely. You could port Doom to 16-bit systems with assistance (i.e. swap/unreal to escape the infamous 637KiB/652KB limit) and proper coding.

Half Eaten Carcass said:

Horrible idea

To post in an old thread? I agree.