Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Firebrand_kh

Vavoom 1.31 released

After a long year of work, the Vavoom engine has been updated to version 1.31. Among the list of new features are the following:

• Added support for writing screenshots in PNG and JPG formats.
  • Auto-aim can be turned off.
  • Implemented saving of the game into a single file.
  • Added basic model frame interpolation.
  • Support for basic parsing of GLDEFS variants.
  • Implemented multiple missing DECORATE features.
  • Many bug fixes and improvements for all supported games.
  • A load of improvements to the launcher.
You can download the latest version at the Vavoom engine site.

About half of these "new features" sound like things that really should have been in from the very beginning. Some of them actually were in from the very beginning - saved games into a single file? What was the author doing before then?

Firebrand_kh said:

• Implemented multiple missing DECORATE features.

Could you give an equivalent ZDoom revision number for the level of DECORATE support? E.g., "DECORATE features compatible with ZDoom r1337" or something.

Gez said:

Could you give an equivalent ZDoom revision number for the level of DECORATE support? E.g., "DECORATE features compatible with ZDoom r1337" or something.

I can't give a revision number, but things like this work now. There are some specific ZDoom and derivative engine flags that aren't supported (for obvious reasons).

Well, I've tested around with this new version, and almost none of my Decorate-based weapon mods work. The only one I got working at all was WW-XM.wad - the rest spat out an error that I don't recall the text from.

Though in retrospect, perhaps it's due to the LOADACS that I was using to start the player with weapons (prior to the implementation of ZDoom's custom player class support).

Is there a way to get Vavoom to better respect a widescreen setup? When I run it on my 1920x1200 monitor the closest resolution I can get is 1600x1200. Most games that do this would run in the middle and have a 160 pixel wide black bar down either side of the screen (or stretch to the whole screen - which is not too pretty to be fair) or have widescreen resolutions as options. However, Vavoom just seems to paste its 1600x1200 screen on top of my screen, aligned to the left. So, there is no gap at the left, but there is a 320x1200 strip at the right where I can see whatver was underneath Vavooom (usually just any desktop icons that I have there). ie, Vavoom runs in an off-centre position on my screen and anything that isn't covered by the 1600x1200 area is visible to the right. This is not windowed BTW and there are no window borders visible.

Vista64 GeForce 285GTX

[edit]

See:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2wrdzrk.jpg

You'll also notice that you can see the Windows start button which flickers on and off during a game.