Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Karnizero

What's your oppinion about "Harmony"?

http://rabotik.nl/harmony.htm

If you played it, what do you think about it?

I found it somehow funny for spare times, although I didn't like the graphics much. The levels are quite big, but sometimes a bit linear and plain.
Anyway, I don't think it's a bad PWAD/MOD/TC/Game/Whatever, since it was developed basically by a single person.

What's your opinion about Harmony?

Liked it a lot, except for the tedious centaur level. I found that the rough, gritty, grainy sprites worked a lot better than I thought, before playing, they would.

I like the effort, and that the game got a consistent design. But I don't like the game play.

kristus said:

I like the effort, and that the game got a consistent design. But I don't like the game play.

To be honest, your Heretic episode was better than any of the stock episodes. Would be cool if you made a Harmony mappack, too. :P

I didn't care for it. That isn't to say it's bad or anything. I think I just wasn't the target audience.

Spleen said:

To be honest, your Heretic episode was better than any of the stock episodes. Would be cool if you made a Harmony mappack, too. :P

I laughed because I agree. I tried to finish it, but couldn't.

Spleen said:

The biggest issue I had with Harmony was that I really didn't enjoy any of the guns. They're really bland, shoddy and boring. Why TVR decided to use dehacked crap for them is beyond me really. He could have at least made them more polished using decorate. If he didn't know or want to learn decorate, he could have asked someone to do it for him.

So, thanks, but no thanks. I am though, considering if I should do my own game as well. But I dunno.

kristus said:

The biggest issue I had with Harmony was that I really didn't enjoy any of the guns. They're really bland, shoddy and boring. Why TVR decided to use dehacked crap for them is beyond me really. He could have at least made them more polished using decorate. If he didn't know or want to learn decorate, he could have asked someone to do it for him.

Now that I think about it, I think you're right. I don't think there was much wrong with the levels. I just wasn't having fun shooting stuff.

Okay, that does it - my next project is a Harmony weapon mod. =P

(Or a patch for wwhc-diaz that makes it work in Harmony. Maybe the former would be easier, knowing how hard it is to replace Dehacked-based actors with Decorate.)

I have to "defend" Harmony.
If we have into account that the whole game was developed by a single person, all from scratch (except for the music and some other minor things, I think), it's not a "bland and boring" game.

Yes, weapons look a bit crappy, and maps quite plain and repetitive. But after all, not a bad game, at least not so bad as many other TCs I saw somewhere, that have been announced as they were the "ultimate TC" but they are just the "ultimate shit".

I didn't like much the dog monsters (those brown-orange).
And those graphics ripped from photos, I hate them in any game. That remembered me those games from 85's - 95's that used photo-ripped sprites, but they had more brightness than the general game.

The textures: not bad at all. I don't know if he did them or borrow from internet. Whatever it be, they look good, and match the game quite good.

WildWeasel said:

Okay, that does it - my next project is a Harmony weapon mod. =P

(Or a patch for wwhc-diaz that makes it work in Harmony. Maybe the former would be easier, knowing how hard it is to replace Dehacked-based actors with Decorate.)

You mean to play Harmony with ww-diaz weapons or make ww-diaz to use Harmony weapons (enhanced)?

I liked Harmony, some extra levels would be more than welcome.

Agreed on that Centaur tower being gruesome though.

All the "hand made" graphics were rather nice, and the characters all looked rather gritty. The levels though I thought were rather boring, as all pointed out before.

I have the same opinion as the OP. Sure it's "new" and an impressive feat to be all done by one person, but the setting is a bit cliche'd and the levels are way too massive and linear.

If he made the levels more exploratory like doom/hexen style maps in the next installment my opinion might change.

The Good: Fantastic level design and beautiful artwork. Lots of hours of Gameplay

The Bad: Weapons were bland and useless, needed more ammo.

The Ugly: THAT CENTAUR LEVEL

The lack of musical variety is kind of annoying as well. I think I'm on map 9 or something, and all I remember is two different songs.

I would have to agree that the gameplay is too dry.

The mod is a staggering accomplishment for one person, though!

It's a good resource pack, but I got bored after 3 or 4 maps and never finished playing it.

I finished it. I enjoyed the novelty and the art. I found the weapons and gameplay to be good enough. Even the centaur level struck me more as an interesting challenge than as outright bad, but I would say that the project would be better off without such a severe roadblock.

It reminded me of Hacx a lot. Don't remember why.

The artwork was amazing and so were the clay figures used for sprites. I'd say this was eight years well spent.

I have to admit that I found this thing pretty bad.

Sure the map and graphics design was great but what does it help if the gameplay is utter shit. This was a chore to play. The reasons:

- The shotgunner equivalent as the main baddie was bumped up to 60 health points which made it twice as hard to kill as Doom's. (Bumping up the Chaingunner replacement's health to 150 was even worse and the final straw for me.)
- Shotgun ammo was too scarce.
- Health also.

These 3 points combined were enough to slow gameplay down to a crawl most of the time because at any time I was either fighting with lack of health points, lack of ammo or an opposition that was inflicting too much damage during the time it took to kill them.

Sorry, but I stopped playing after the fourth map because it was no fun.

I rather enjoyed my playthrough (except the centaur level), although it was one of those games where it took a bit too much effort to go through once for me to want to play through it again any time soon.

The graphics were neat but I didn't really like the weapons. They're so weak and the animations were really choppy. I also agree with the things that Graf has mentioned in his post.