DuckReconMajor

The new YouTube

Like the new YouTube?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Like the new YouTube?

• Yeah
    • No
    • I don\'t care

I was a little weirded out when I first saw it, but no big deal really.

Also, inb4REoL bitching about it

I guess the new rating system makes sense. Most people only ever rated things either a "5" or a "1", so I guess they decided to make that even easier on people.

I don't care for it, myself.

I miss being able to one-click to favorite a video, rather than being forced to bring up another god damn menu. Took me a while to figure out where they hid it.

I miss being able to scroll through related videos without losing focus on the actual video i'm watching. If I want to see the bottom of the list now, while watching a video, tough shit.

I miss related videos not taking 1/3rd-1/4th of the entire window, too. And, for that matter, more videos from the same person being completely relocated is a bit of a problem.

I miss the description in the right side and not below the video, with a teeny, barely noticable button being the way to expand it. :I

I miss youtube comments having their own boxes, rather than being lines of text in blank white emptiness. Looked better that way.

I don't care for the subscription button being above the video and in white instead of yellow.

I will admit I like the simpler rating system (makes sense considering the user base) and I have no problems with the highest voted comments, but that's really about it. Everything else can go away. :c

All things considered, though, I can live with it. Not like I'll have much of a choice unless they bring the old format back.

I had tested this new layout last month when it was in beta. Didn't like it at all, so I switched back...only to find out that now it's being forced. I don't mind the thumbs up/thumbs down rating system, but why is it so hard to favorite a video compared to before?

And why is Youtube suddenly a social networking site as opposed to a site where you could watch a cat do backflips off a sofa?

I don't really use an account for youtube, so the whole favoriting issue is lost on me. The statistics on the videos are fascinating to look at for me though. Putting the two most upped comments seems to be suggesting that YT admits that there is a problem with worthless comments.

The only thing I really don't like about the new changes is that you can't just scroll through the related videos sidebar and whatnot while watching a video at the same time.

The classic interface was simple and "elegant"(*shrugs*), and probably did not deserve to be changed. Super high-quality, 1080p HD videos are ok by me, though.

So yeah, now I have no idea how to get a link to a video that doesn't have &related in it. That sucks pretty hard.

Ratings on youtube are pretty silly, because most of the time you're watching videos on subject matter that you already like, and are pleased to have a video of it at all. At least I don't tend to just watch random videos, beyond links people have sent me.

I've never rated a video. I watch what I like and don't watch what I don't like. It's that easy.

Shaikoten said:

So yeah, now I have no idea how to get a link to a video that doesn't have &related in it. That sucks pretty hard.

WTF are you talking about? They haven't changed their URL scheme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_xVXQCrPxQ (I haven't watched this. It probably sucks or something.)

This whole thing is meh.

Aliotroph? said:

WTF are you talking about? They haven't changed their URL scheme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_xVXQCrPxQ (I haven't watched this. It probably sucks or something.)

This whole thing is meh.

What I'm talking about is the feature from the old site, where on the right hand side, where the video description info was, there was a bar that showed the URL. The URL in the top bar changes and adds random tag shit based on what video you just watched if you clicked from the related video links. That box provided you the original URL, without the shit added.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrZ0TLX7L7Q&feature=related

Like that. I know it's easy enough to delete out, but just clicking on that box, having the URL auto-copied, and then pasting it somewhere else, was the best way possible to share a URL. Quickest, easiest. And they fucking took it out. It was like my most used feature of youtube.

Kind of annoying to have to relearn their UI all over again, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

We'll see tomorrow... though I saw a hint to a similar interface days ago, then it returned to the old one. I don't know...

Well, looks like it's here to stay, but their actual April Fool's day joke cracks me up. It's actually pretty cool. I kinda hope they keep it in there.

People paid attention to the ratings? As was said before, they were only ever 5 or 1 and the comments were utterly (and continue to be) banal.

WildWeasel said:

And why is Youtube suddenly a social networking site

And this is the official reason that the filters at my school ban YT: because the powers that be classify it as a social networking site. Just give me a site with shit loads of videos and no retard comments and ratings at all thank you very much. If I want a social networking site, I can use FaceFuck or something.

I think the new format is pretty terrible. Then again, I hate everyhting about YouTube except for the videos.

Doesn't seem all that different to me.

I liked it better when comment times were always displayed.