Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Janizdreg

Doom 4: Classic Doom in HD clothing

As you may know, id Software has decided not to release any new official Doom 4 information until QuakeCon 2010. Unfortunately for them and perhaps to the joy of info-hungry Doom fans all over the globe, an early alpha version of Doom 4 has leaked to the hands of a couple of naughty Doom-loving individuals.

The anonymous duo of naughtiness has decided not to spread the leaked version further to avoid legal measures from id, but have released a bunch of information, a screenshot and a map view of E1M3.

A quote from the naughties:

Apparently id is going to make Doom 4 a faithful HD remake of the first Doom, similar to what Serious Sam HD did to the original Serious Sam game. As you might’ve guessed, the alpha is in a very barebones state and uses tons of placeholder resources from Doom and Doom 3. Three levels are in a playable state: E1M1, E1M3 and E2M2. The status bar face, Imp and Demon graphics have been renewed as well as a bunch of textures, but apart from that it’s just a bunch of placeholders or recycled stuff being used until the actual HD resources are finished.

So there you have it: Doom 4 is actually going to be exactly what classic Doom fans have been craving for for years. Let the tears of joy be shed!

The shotgun looks like some cheap plastic piece of crap they got at Toys R Us.

fyrestorm said:

Worst april fools ever.

Oh no, did id's bad HD spriting skills really hurt your feelings that badly. :-(

For some reason, the face on the status bar has a striking resemblance to our favourite fascist authoritarian.

DuckReconMajor said:

That didn't stop Doom 2.

You realize that Doom 2 was released prior to ultimate doom right? It was a huge jump from the shareware version with much more complex levels. No modder could have done that much to the game.

See also this is OBVIOUSLY an April fool's joke. They wouldn't redo an original Doom game and call it Doom 4 and just look at the pictures...

Pure Adrenallen said:

They wouldn't redo an original Doom game and call it Doom 4 and just look at the pictures...

Although it should be noted that Doom 4 is just a working title. Quoting Hollenshead: "Seriously, some days we call it Doom 4. Sometimes we call it Doom. Sometimes we call it the new Doom. We haven't settled on a final title yet." Check out the source right here.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, and I almost forgot about this one. Hollenshead has also stated that Doom 4 is "not a sequel to Doom 3, but it's not a reboot either. Doom 3 was sort of a reboot. It's a little bit different than those." Source. So it's not a sequel and it's not a reboot. What's left? A remake/update of course!

I honestly thought the Tolwyn cover story was the joke this year.

Then again, Action Doom 2 was an April Fool's joke one year, then look what happened...

Pure Adrenallen said:

You realize that Doom 2 was released prior to ultimate doom right?

You realize that Ultimate Doom is doom with a 4th episode right?

Ah Alphas, always good for a laugh.

Speaking of laughs, what the hell happened to the DoomFace? Looks like they tried using the same face art for Doom 3 and then decided, "Fuck it. It's an alpha. Let's just use MS paint for the hair."

Pure Adrenallen said:

See also this is OBVIOUSLY an April fool's joke. They wouldn't redo an original Sonic game and call it Sonic 4

ftfy

Csonicgo said:

ftfy

This is id not Sega lol.

Also I used Ultimate Doom as an example because modders didn't really take hold until Ultimate Doom.

Pure Adrenallen said:

This is id not Sega lol.

Also I used Ultimate Doom as an example because modders didn't really take hold until Ultimate Doom.

Eh, I dunno. I think Doom2 laid the way for modding because it was the first doom actually sold in stores. There were still that percentage that really hated buying games in the mail.

Yes, it was a prank alright.

Since some of you were curious about the stuff I used in the images, here's a basic summary:

• The pinky demon "HD sprite" is actually a fan-made maquette. I dunno who made it though.
  • The full status bar face artwork can be found here.
  • The screenshot was taken with Risen3D utilizing its high-resolution texture packs.
  • The map view image is a shot of the Classic Doom 3 E1M3.

Pure Adrenallen said:

Not really. Many WADs were made for DOOM during 1994. Once DOOM II came out, most people switched to it for modding, arguably because it offers more monsters and items.

oh nuts I sprayed water all over my screen!

those shots are breath taking! truly big leap in game graphics!

Pure Adrenallen said:

This is id not Sega lol.

You obviously haven't been there 16 years ago...

Graf Zahl said:

You obviously haven't been there 16 years ago...

Er, not sure what that means since it is horrible grammar. Anyway, the whole thing was that somebody said a modder could have done what was done in Doom II. By the time Doom II was released no modder had done something as drastic as adding guns/monsters/complex levels yet. That was my point and I don't know why you guys are making such a damn deal of it.