Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scalliano

scalliano's 667 Shuffle!

IT'S BACK!!

Yes, it's another random spawner WAD! This one is meant as a means of playing Doom with some of the monsters/weapons found on the R667 pages (and elsewhere ;)) without the need for mapping or endless "summon" commands and breathing a bit of replay value into those old PWADS. Rather than having the refinement of Snarboo's randomizers ar the OTT lunacy of AEoD, this mod lies somewhere in the middle. Everything featured in this mod has been done in the Doom style. It also randomizes the spawns by class, so a Cyberdemon will never spawn in place of an Imp, or a BFG in place of a shotgun, etc.

The zip file contains 2 files; zmwr.pk3 and zudmwr.pk3

The first, zmwr.pk3, is the main mod and is designed to work with any vanilla/Boom-compatible Doom II wad.

The second, zudmwr.pk3, is a patch to be used with the first and it allows the mod to be played with Doom/Ultimate Doom. It does a couple of things:
- Enables the Super Shotgun, Chaingunner and Megasphere
- Adds the Chaingunner spawns to the Shotgun Guy's roster, with a few balance tweaks.

This mod features custom ammo, so some compromises had to be made. All ammo spawns will occasionally drop these new items and small ammo spawns will also randomly spawn Dreadopp's "medium" ammo pickups for the stock weapons. All zombies, (bar the Dune Warrior) will drop their weapons when killed, along with the occasional extra bit of ammo, and all cybernetic monsters now drop ammo too.

NOTE: The SS Nazi does not have a random spawner. There are 2 reasons for this. He is rarely used outside of megawad secret levels or Wolfenstein conversions, and leaving him alone allows more vanilla/Boom mods with extra custom DEHackED monsters to run correctly with the mod (eg UAC Ultra, NDCP2, etc) as they usually replace him.

Thanks to all the contributors whose work ended up in here.

Any issues, please let me know.

Screenshots:

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?r4o1e32h76oq22d
Requires a development build of (G)ZDoom.

New version added above. Major update featuring:

- Lots of new weapons, items and enemies, including bosses from UAC Ultra and UTnT
- Full set of dynlights for GZDoom
- Unmaker Zombies will now (VERY occasionally) drop a Chi Gem
- Better ammo spawn balancing

If there are any bugs please let me know.

Hey, glad you brought this here. This is a really good addition! I should continue playing the other wads I've started with this when I get the time. Great job, Scal!
I'll report bug spotting if I find any. :P

- Moti

Another update, primarily for bugfixes and testing out the new ammo drop setup:

- Fixed a crash issue where the Netherworld Queen wasn't being called properly
- All cybernetic monsters now drop ammo upon death, and zombies drop fewer medium ammo kits
- A few new enemies, including the NailBorg and Quad Shotgun Guy
- Fixed a sprite clash issue with the Pyro Imp and Incubus
- Sniper Rifle now shares its slot with the regular Rifle

Let me know what you think of the changes, and any issues, as always.

Mind if I upload this to multiupload.com? Or you can upload the file yourself, if you prefer. The reason I suggest this is that the current download location is going at about 75kb/s. Multiupload.com will automatically upload the file to 8 well-known, high-speed storage sites in one try. Just a way of giving people more options to get the file from, with higher download rates.

http://www.multiupload.com

Another update! Changes are as follows:

- MOAR STUFFZ!!11
- After discovering a number of spawning issues, the Moloch has been put back on the Spider Mastermind's roster. This is because of his sheer size - on some maps (usually ones with teleport containers) he will get stuck in his spawn spot unable to move. Because of this I've also moved the Source Guardian on to the Cyberdemon's roster and given him more health to compensate.
- The Guard Sphere should now appear without any problems.
- The Armour Sphere will now randomly spawn in place of the Mega Armour. This should stop you getting fucked over when you're at death's door expecting a Megasphere.

Enjoy, and you know the drill!

Quick interim bugfix release which addresses a couple of issues:

- Machete now spawns properly
- Blue Armor was permanently replaced by Green Armour - fixed

New version coming soon. Keep 'em peeled!

Heh, sort of, but not exactly. Unlike AEoD, it focuses on stuff that has been made specifically for Doom and is intended to be not quite as bonkers as its 300-odd MB counterpart. Pretty much everything featured in it is from either the R667 resource pages or established mods, although I have made some stuff specifically for it.

scalliano said:

Heh, sort of, but not exactly. Unlike AEoD, it focuses on stuff that has been made specifically for Doom and is intended to be not quite as bonkers as its 300-odd MB counterpart. Pretty much everything featured in it is from either the R667 resource pages or established mods, although I have made some stuff specifically for it.

:D

I like the sounds of this. Do you have plans to implement all of the monsters from R667 in this? Also, is the use of R667 weapons optional?

I plan to add as many of the Doom-styled monsters as I can eventually (no Heretic/Hexen/Strife stuff). Adding new stuff in stages allows me to work out the kinks more easily.

The weapons and the enemies who use them are inter-dependant, for example a Flamer Zombie will always drop a Flamer upon death, as well as the occasional bit of extra ammo. This applies to all of the zombie-class enemies, (including the stock id ones) as a means of maintaining some sort of gameplay balance. As it stands, removing the new weapons/items could mess things up on that score. Right now, it's all or nothing, I'm afraid.

Right, MAJOR update time - it's been a while!

Changes:

- The obligatory smattering of new content, of which there is a LOT.
- The Ultimate Doom patch file now enables the SSG and Megasphere (I blame my inner purist)
- The pistol can now be dual-wielded.
- Added a new artefact - the Shuffle Sphere. This is a black Doom orb which gives you a completely random item. This could be a weapon, powerup or inventory item. It will also occasionally give you a secret "bonus" item or weapon not found anywhere else in the mod...

This is my last mod update for a while, as I need to take a bit of a hiatus from modding to deal with some Real Life stuff, so I won't have much time to work on stuff. I'll still be lurking the forums, though, and the next update I post will most likely be the full version of Threshold.

Feedback is nonetheless appreciated. Enjoy!

Always glad to see an update for this mod. It even makes my boring little maps seem challenging and more enjoyable. Keep up the good work!

Another little bugfix. Nothing game-breaking, but I might as well get it out of the way.

Hey, Scal. Hope you're ready for another nitpick/buglist post from me! ;)

1. The Netherworld Queen replaces Baron of Hell. Let's just say that while playing AV with this, I've only encountered 1 NQ that I could actually battle. The rest just get stuck because of height/width problems. You should either edit the decorate of it or just make it replace something else.
2. The Biosphere and Brown Radsuit have a sprite clash.
3. The Cold Demon (not sure about name) is EXTREMELY OVERPOWERED. It can take me down with 200/200 health within 3 shots. Let's not talk about it's speed+invisibility while not attacking. That thing is VERY broken and I suggest you make it much much weaker than it currently is!
4. The blue archvile thing purposely makes like 20 clones while hurt. It's a disturbingly huge waste of ammo and I suggest you edit that.
5. Aguares has way too much HP for an Imp replacement. (It took me 2.5 SSG shots to take it down). You should reduce it.
6. There's already a SSG and Rocket Zombie... And you put like 2-3 variants of each. WHY?! They're completely unnecessary and you should remove the newer versions.

That's it for now, if I find anything else I'll let you know.
Cheers,
Moti

Cheers, I'm looking into those and I'll have another update soon.

The blue Archie issue is a new one on me, I've only fought him a few times myself and he's never done that. I must say his DECORATE is pretty bonkers, so I'll see if I can tone him down a bit.

EDIT: He now only spawns four clones when hurt.

The Netherworld Queen has now gone the way of the Source Guardian and made her way on to the Cyberdemon's roster with a load of extra health. This should allow her to spawn properly.

The Chiller Demon has been taken care of. I didn't want to change his behaviour, but his health and strength have been greatly reduced. Two SSG shots and he's history.

BioSphere/BioSuit clash is now fixed, so is the grenade launcher pickup issue (I discovered that one myself).

I'll be keeping the zombie variants, though. The reason for this is that there are numerous variants of other monsters in the mod whose differences are little more than cosmetic (the Imps and some of the Bruiser variants, for example).

EDIT: New version with the above fixes uploaded.

scalliano said:

EDIT: New version with the above fixes uploaded.

404. You typed the link wrong. D:
And by the "didn't want to change it's behavior"...
Man, I had 300 HP and 100 Armor and I got hit by ONE of his balls and went down to 135 HP and 2 Armor. It's overpowered beyond recognitions. I hope you changed it's damage...
And yes, I noticed the grenade launcher is weirded up and doesn't look like it normally does.

By the way, I got a couple of questions.
1. What does Shuffle Sphere replace?
2. I summoned a few shuffle spheres and got a Pyro Cannon, which I've never gotten before. Is this the 'exclusive item' you were talking about?
3. Terror Sphere doesn't qualify Invulnerability AT ALL, as monsters still have a bit of bravery to actually attack you. I think it should replace Invisibility.
Thanks for still keeping this up.

Ah, I is a twat O_o That's what I get for copypasting from the ZDoom thread :P Anyway, link fixed.

As for your queries:

1. Invisibility. The update also makes it appear a bit more often.
2. The Pyro Cannon is one of them, but there are a few others too...
3. That was purely an oversight, I thought I'd done that already. I'll fix that next time.

And the Chiller Demon has been made weaker in every respect. What I meant by "not changing his behaviour" was that he's actually the only stealth monster in the game and is also quite rare. I do concede that his attack is daft, so he's the same to look at, but you actually stand a chance against him now.

Another bugfix/tweak release (sorry, no vuvuzela):

- The Quad Shotgun now selects/deselects like all other weapons. This prevents all of the other weapons from screwing up when it is dropped by the player. It also now reloads from the primary fire button when empty.
- The Quad Shotgun Zombie wasn't dropping anything - fixed
- Channeler frames are now fixed. Turns out they were clashing with one of the zombies.
- The Pulse Rifle and Bio Launcher both had an issue with their A_GunFlash call where the light wasn't being turned off - fixed
- Removed the ejected bullet casing from the Sniper Rifle, so it only use one bullet when fired. This is a temporary measure until I have time to sort it out properly as it will probably involve a rewrite of the Fire state.
- Gave the dual pistols a bit more of a spread, hopefully not too much.
- The zip file now contains a comprehensive list of everything in the mod, along with full credits and a short description. WARNING: contains spoilers ;)

This should be it for a while. I already have a few ideas for the next version, but that's on the back-burner for now. Feedback is appreciated, as always, so if there's anything else needs fixing, please let me know.

Yup, just when you thought there was hope that I could be taken seriously as a mod author I go and ruin it all by posting another update to Shuffle!

It's been a while, so there have been quite a few improvements, particularly in the hardware department. There are LOTS of new toys to play with, and a slew of new enemies, too.

The main improvement is experimental DM support - the .ZIP now contains a patch to compensate for the spawners breaking the -nomonsters parameter. However, that's not all, there arer several bugfixes and tweaks to a lot of the stuff included.

(link outdated, see first post)

You might want to update your original post, as it now points to the incorrect zip file at both listed sites.

EDIT: Mod seems to be broken. There are no monsters in any levels, on any difficulty setting.

Can't. It won't let me, stating that the alotted time for editing posts has expired. Just emailed Bloodshedder about it.

EDIT: My bad, forgot to mention this here. Do NOT load zzdmmwr.pk3 in SP or co-op, that's the patch for DM only. It removes all monsters from the maps, due to the mod breaking -nomonsters.

scalliano said:

Can't. It won't let me, stating that the alotted time for editing posts has expired. Just emailed Bloodshedder about it.

EDIT: My bad, forgot to mention this here. Do NOT load zzdmmwr.pk3 in SP or co-op, that's the patch for DM only. It removes all monsters from the maps, due to the mod breaking -nomonsters.

Yeah, I just realized that. Mod is working fine now, as it should. :D

Here's a non-hacky way of doing that: add +ISMONSTER to each of your monster spawners.

This sounds extremely cool! Why have I not heard of it before? (Rhetorical.) I've been using Snarboo's more conservative mod and thoroughly love it, and have even toyed with ScoreDoom for it's monster madness. This mod sounds like a good even balance between the two styles and I'll surely check it out and let you know what I think of it!

Mod has been reuploaded with the -nomonsters fix integrated into the two main .pk3s. No need for a third file anymore.

Also contains the CORRECT readme file :P