Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Viewtiful-Chris

Good sourceports on Mac

Hm? There are regularly released Mac ports of PrBoom, PrBoom-Plus, Doomsday Engine, Odamex, and...I think maybe Chocolate Doom, though I'm not sure.

At least a few versions of ZDoom have had Mac builds released, too.

In addition, there's also the Legacy port from the early 2000s, though it was never complete and I wouldn't recommend it now that there are other ports available.

fraggle said:

Seems like a better question would be: are there any source ports that don't run on Mac OS X?

Eternity, I guess. Perhaps it can be ported, but doesn't it take a programmer to do that?

printz said:

Eternity, I guess. Perhaps it can be ported, but doesn't it take a programmer to do that?

It takes a programmer, and it takes somebody who has the proper system and understands how to properly work a compiler and pastebin the output from it so that I can read it.

People have offered to do this before, but when it comes time to sit down and get it done, they always seem to disappear.

I've been using GZDoom 1.4.5 under CrossOver Games and apart from a couple of slowdowns, it runs pretty well. I just had to do some configuration adjustments to make sure keyboard input was accepted correctly - I can't really remember what exactly but I can tell you later.

esselfortium said:

Oh, cool. I didn't realize they were being built regularly now.

Well they're built whenever I happen to have my Mac running. Which I wouldn't describe as regularly.

Quasar said:

It takes a programmer, and it takes somebody who has the proper system and understands how to properly work a compiler and pastebin the output from it so that I can read it.

People have offered to do this before, but when it comes time to sit down and get it done, they always seem to disappear.

I gave it a try and after avoiding automake (made my own CMake script) and tweaking a few files. Eternity fails to compile at amx.c/h. http://pastebin.com/bF0EXkqQ After trying to play around with that all I could get was a really large number of errors. Looks to me like Eternity's implementation of small is not aware of non-ppc Macs.

Blzut3 said:

Well they're built whenever I happen to have my Mac running. Which I wouldn't describe as regularly.

Well, that's far more regularly than there have been Mac ZDoom builds in the past, regardless.

Blzut3 said:

Looks to me like Eternity's implementation of small is not aware of non-ppc Macs.

You should try to compile it while disabling Small, then. (Just define EE_NO_SMALL_SUPPORT in the compilation options.) After all, it's not like there are EE mods that require Small currently -- I know of only two available EE mods on /idgames (kerker and OPF), and neither of them use Small.

Gez said:

You should try to compile it while disabling Small, then. (Just define EE_NO_SMALL_SUPPORT in the compilation options.) After all, it's not like there are EE mods that require Small currently -- I know of only two available EE mods on /idgames (kerker and OPF), and neither of them use Small.

Yep, and actually that option is recommended anyway as Small is deprecated. It doesn't work with x86_64 either.

MP2E said:

Yep, and actually that option is recommended anyway as Small is deprecated. It doesn't work with x86_64 either.

Small was no small disaster, that's for sure :P

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Well gee, I feel like an uninformed idiot now.

Well, to be fair, there was a time when the only source ports available for Mac were the official vanilla port and a half-finished port of Legacy. I think it wasn't until around 2004 or so that developers started taking interest in releasing builds of other source ports for Mac, starting with Doomsday Engine I believe, and the list of ports with Mac releases has gradually increased since then.

esselfortium said:

I think it wasn't until around 2004 or so that developers started taking interest in releasing builds of other source ports for Mac,

I'm pretty sure the interest has always been there. It just wasn't until then that any developer managed to come up with enough money for a Mac. (Not that Macs are necessarily any more expensive than any other computer, it's just hard to buy one when a 4x more powerful computer can be had for 1/2 the price.) I'm pretty sure us developers have been saying "if you want a Mac port feel free to send me a Mac to develop on" for quite some time now.