Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

(vanilla / whacked) replace a weapon?

How do you do this?

I want to replace the chainsaw with an infinite ammo bfg that has reddish sprites. But I also want to leave the normal bfg (slot 7) untouched without infinite ammo. I know how to do infinite ammo in whacked, but how do you have two bfgs? The bfgs act identical to the default bfg, but the bfg that replaces the chainsaw uses reddish sprites (I have the sprites) and has infinite ammo.

You can do it only if you sacrifice the plasma gun because you need a separate projectile for that BFG and there are only three player projectiles, the rocket, which is also used by the cyberdemon, the plasma burst and the BFG burst. If you give this BFG the usual green BFG burst, you'd be able to do it without losing the plasma burst by just editing frames from the chainsaw (and elsewhere if those aren't enough).

Thanks. I don't want to sacrifice the plasma gun, so I'll just change the default bfg ball sprites red, so that both bfgs will have the reddish ball sprites.

I must have made a mistake. I replaced the chainsaw with an infinite ammo bfg with a reddish bfg sprite. Everything works fine, except 40 shells get taken away every time you shoot the infinite ammo bfg. What did I do wrong? The bfg uses more frames or whatever than the chainsaw, so I used some frames from the nazi.

Frame 67
Sprite subnumber = 0

Frame 726
Sprite number = 11
Duration = 1
Next frame = 726

Frame 727
Sprite number = 11
Sprite subnumber = 0
Duration = 1
Next frame = 727

Frame 728
Sprite number = 1
Duration = 1
Next frame = 728

Frame 729
Sprite number = 11
Duration = 20

Frame 730
Sprite number = 11
Duration = 10

Frame 731
Sprite number = 11
Duration = 10

Frame 732
Sprite number = 11
Sprite subnumber = 1
Duration = 20
Next frame = 726

Frame 733
Sprite number = 15
Sprite subnumber = 0
Duration = 11

Frame 734
Sprite number = 15
Sprite subnumber = 1
Duration = 6
Next frame = 1

[CODEPTR]
Frame 726 = WeaponReady
Frame 727 = Lower
Frame 728 = Raise
Frame 729 = BFGSound
Frame 730 = GunFlash
Frame 731 = FireBFG
Frame 732 = Refire
Frame 733 = Light1
Frame 734 = Light2

Weapon 7 (Chainsaw)
Deselect frame = 728
Select frame = 727
Bobbing frame = 726
Shooting frame = 729
Firing frame = 733

I remember you can select the ammo type for each weapon in a separate window called "Weapons". Setting the ammo for your weapon to 'Unlimited' should work.

(I use Whacked2 BTW)

Sorry for the bump again, I don't have internet at my new place so I'm only online once every few days.

I did have the unlimited ammo type selected, but it still took away 40 shells each time it was shot in prboom and prboom-plus. I did some more testing with a new dehacked file and made all the weapons have unlimited ammo, and every weapon (except fist/chainsaw) takes away shell ammo in prboom/plus when you shoot it, but they have unlimited ammo in zdoom.

So I guess the weapon actions or whatever they're called are hard coded to take away ammo (except fist/chainsaw)? And zdoom removed that?

Looks like it, so if you want any infinite ammo weapons in vanilla you'll have to set aside the shells ammo for them.

Ok, that's not a big deal. Just to clarify that the weapons are actually infinite ammo but that they keep taking away shell ammo (you don't need any shells to use the infinite ammo weapons). So, if you have a weapon that uses shells, you won't be able to use it if your shell ammo goes below zero.

Yeah, I saw that in the DOS executable some junk (apparently the negative marker used for larger numbers) is drawn in the ammo areaofthe status bar when ammo goes below 0. Another option, that gives the same results without this visual glitch, is to give the weapon a max of 999999999 shots and the equivalent amount for a pickup. That way you can use any one of the four ammo types for the "infinite weapon", without making any other weapon that relies on that ammo dysfunctional, and it always shows the last three digits of ammo without drawing junk. I don't think there's any way to spend a billion ammo, even when using up 40 per shot :)