Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Viewtiful-Chris

Danger regarding DOOM 4's title

Todd Hollenshead:

“Seriously, some days we call it Doom 4. Sometimes we call it Doom. Sometimes we call it the new Doom. We haven’t settled on a final title yet.”

If id software decides to go the route of Wolfenstein 2009 and call DOOM 4 simply "DOOM", I will be extremely pissed.

It irritates me like all hell when I refer to, say, DIABLO and people assume I'm talking about Diablo *II*.

This trend of sequels being named after the originals needs to stop.

I tend to think of myself as having reached the point whereby the mere mention of Doom becomes less so indicative of the Ultimate, 3, or Hell on Earth as it does of the franchise in its entirety. Perhaps others might find themselves in the same boat. Certainly it’s a messy affair when you start defibrillating the game at consecutive intervals, and the same - as Aldaraia said - applies to films, but I think in this situation a simple subtitle will suffice, with Doom 4 being the more colloquial. Much, in fact, like how Doom 2 is referred to today.

The only reason I even tolerate Final Fantasy is because they use Roman numerals over ten.

I hate double digits!

Let's be serious one moment: when you say you're playing Doom, do you mean Doom, or Doom 2? Pretty sure in 95% of the cases it'll be the latter.

I just hope they spend less time thinking about the title and more time making the gameplay fun. :P

As Romero once put it regarding the next quake title: "I wonder where they're going to put that extra nail".

Gez said:
Let's be serious one moment: when you say you're playing Doom, do you mean Doom, or Doom 2? Pretty sure in 95% of the cases it'll be the latter.

Perhaps, but DOOM and DOOM II are two parts of one game. Same engine, basically same resources, same story in two chunks.

Not that I'm concerned about what Viewtiful-Chris is saying. It already happens to a degree with DOOM 3, and in no way are these newer games going to substitute the older ones, as they are something based on them but different. It just shows that they are aware that the the original games are the foundation and legend behind the trademark, and thus want to stick to its core name as much as possible :p

Unreal and Unreal Tournament come to mind here... Whenever I mention Unreal, people assume it's UT. Or if I talk about Quake to anyone, they assume Q2. One person was even stupid enough to say "I didn't know there was a Quake 1..." -.-

Actually Quake is one of those games where when I hear people say "Quake" I actually think of the first game, and when people say "Q2" I think of Quake 2.. and so on. This is because each game actually looks, feels, and plays differently from the last.

Doom is not like that since Doom 1, 2 and Final Doom and all the pwads out there can pretty much be grouped into a single category called "Doom". I don't really include Doom 3 in this category though because it's a completely different game.

I was actually a bit surprised when id decided to stick with the title of Doom 3. Since it's not a sequel to Doom 2, I was thinking that was just going to be a placeholder until they came up with a better title. That could be the case with Doom 4.

Personally, when I say Doom, I mean Doom 1. The original. See, I had Doom 2 for a long time before I owned the original, because I was a kid in middle school at the time, and it was much easier for me to get ahold of a copy of Doom 2 because the original wasn't sold in stores at the time (it's a heck of a lot easier to tell your grandma you want X game that's easily available in stores than to tell her that you want Y game and you need to fill out this order form and mail it in to get it). As a result, being obsessed with Doom but not having the chance to play the original, the differences between Doom and Doom 2 were permanently burned into my brain, and so I tend to try to make a clear distinction.

Okay, gotta stop ranting... Anyway, the whole thing pisses me off. I mean, the whole idea of calling a sequel the same thing as the original just sounds to me like an attempt to cash in on the original. And I mean yeah, obviously, all sequels are basically attempts to cash in on the original, but it just seems cheap to me - I expect a sequel to add something, and by calling it the same thing as the original seems to me to be saying, "Look, we have nothing to add here, we just want you to know that it's just as good as the original."

When I say Doom, most of the time I am referring to the original 3 Episode game. Even if technically I am playing Ultimate Doom because I have that IWAD loaded. I rarely play Episode 4 because I don't like it. When I do play Episode 4, I refer to it as "Episode 4", "Thy Flesh consumed" or "Ultimate Doom" because I see it as distinct from Doom. Doom and Thy Flesh are quite compartmentalised in my head.

If I am playing Doom2, I will usually refer to it as Doom2. However, I do sometimes get lazy and if, whilst playing, someone asked me what I was playing, I might say either Doom or Doom2 with little real thought going in to either answer. If someone asked me what my hobbies were, I would include "Doom editing" even though most of the time I edit using Doom2 as the base.

I always refer to Doom3 as Doom3. Well, actually sometimes I refer to it as "shit" and other pejorative terms. But... um... yeah, I never call it just Doom because I don't really see it as having much to do with the game that I enjoy playing so it is quite distinct in my head and therefore has a separate name.

They as well just stick with calling it Doom 4, since most of their other sequels have little to do with the games that precede them anyway.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

This trend of sequels being named after the originals needs to stop.

YES. This will make finding youtube videos of doom stuff impossible. They better come up with something. Preferably "DOOM: <subtitle>" kinda like Doom64: Absolution

I'd suggest that most of the people posting in this thread so far at least give a little shit-ette. :P

Mr. Freeze cares more about being seen as a tough man manly man guy man by pretending he doesn't care, using big words.

(It doesn't work.)

Granted, he also does it for attention, which is what I'm giving him right now. Oops.

As for Doom 4's title, couldn't care less about it myself. :p

As long as id makes it better than Doom 3, I could care less about the title.

I don't remember if Doom 4 is going to be based off of Doom 2, but I feel that it would be more confusing it Doom 4 was called Doom II.
I strongly doubt that this will happen though.

dutch devil said:

Doom 4 Hell on Earth

Doom 4: Hell on Earth: Imagination Crisis

Doom IV: Heil on Earth and call it a NAZI/Roman Empire in the future.

printz said:

Doom IV: Heil on Earth and call it a NAZI/Roman Empire in the future.

Romans did not ever say "Heil" or whatever, they said "ave".

In Hollywood movies, it's translated to English and turned into "hail" which is a greeting and a cognate of the German heil. But that's just Hollywood.

Not just Hollywood:

Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare, 1599

Act2 Scene 2
DECIUS BRUTUS: Caesar, all hail! good morrow, worthy Caesar: I come to fetch you to the senate-house.

Act3 Scene 1
ARTEMIDORUS: Hail, Caesar! read this schedule.

Act5 Scene 1
ANTONY: In your bad strokes, Brutus, you give good words: Witness the hole you made in Caesar's heart, Crying 'Long live! hail, Caesar!'

;)

I'd be more pissed if the game is another retelling of the first chapter in the DOOM series. I'm not going to buy nor play it though, the disappointment with DOOM³ still lasts.

Gez said:

Romans did not ever say

You wanna know why? Because I used the roman numeral instead of 4 :P

The Roman salute and overall ensuing shitfest upon such a release notwithstanding.

Enjay said:

When I say Doom, most of the time I am referring to the original 3 Episode game. Even if technically I am playing Ultimate Doom because I have that IWAD loaded. I rarely play Episode 4 because I don't like it. When I do play Episode 4, I refer to it as "Episode 4", "Thy Flesh consumed" or "Ultimate Doom" because I see it as distinct from Doom. Doom and Thy Flesh are quite compartmentalised in my head.

Well, it's different for everyone. For me, the first episode is quite compartmentalized from the second two.

Enjay said:

I'd suggest that most of the people posting in this thread so far at least give a little shit-ette. :P

Personally, I don't care at all what it's called. Doom will always be Doom, no matter how many numbers or subtitles are added.

Mr. Freeze said:

Doom will always be Doom, no matter how many numbers or subtitles are added.

Including Doom the movie?

Personally, I think even Doom3 is just clinging on to the edge of being Doom. I'd have rather that they'd just called it something different, made a game freed from the restrictions of making a "Doom" title and thereby may have ended up making a better game as a result.