Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Viewtiful-Chris

Danger regarding DOOM 4's title

Mr. Freeze said:

Who gives a shit?

Everyone who posted in this thread except for you.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

It irritates me like all hell when I refer to, say, DIABLO and people assume I'm talking about Diablo *II*.

Actually, they don't. They assume you're talking about Diablo2: Lord of Destruction. Because noone gives a shit about Diablo2 without it's expansion anymore. And no one certainly doesn't give one iota about Diablo 1. :p

"Remember Call of Duty?"

"Modern Warfare 2? TAT GAME IS TEH LEET LOL I PWN JOO"

"No, Call of Duty."

"Call of Duty Classic? THAT GAME WAS STUPID LOL NO DUAL shotGAWNS ETHER wtf is that?1?1!"

I hate my generation. It irks the hell outta me when people call Call of Duty: World at War "CoD 5" or Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 "CoD 6". Is it just me that thinks this is wrong? What about the other 2 or 3 CoD's for the Playstation? I never played them either, but they are still part of the Call of Duty franchise.

EDIT: Oh holy fuck I forgot, kids are starting to call Modern Warfare "Call of Duty 1" and Modern Warfare 2 "Call of Duty 2".

Ninjalah said:

EDIT: Oh holy fuck I forgot, kids are starting to call Modern Warfare "Call of Duty 1" and Modern Warfare 2 "Call of Duty 2".

April Fools already passed.

...I hope that's a April Fools joke...right?

printz said:

Doom 4: Hell on Earth: Imagination Crisis

Doom 4: Hell on Earth: Imagination Crisis: Man Bear Pigs Revenge!

One more game for the Trash Compacter. Doom3 should've just been called New Doom, and now it would be New Doom 2: Hells Revenge, something corny like that, yet attractive.

Mr. Freeze said:

April Fools already passed.

...I hope that's a April Fools joke...right?

Not at all. I repeat, I hate my generation.

Ninjalah said:

Is it just me that thinks this is wrong?

Eh, half of everything I say to my friends is an in-joke, so I don't think I call anything by its proper name (Callah' Duty, Grenades of Duty, whatevs). I do, however, type the proper names of games in forums, like a civilized person should.

You really have to think logically. Think back to the early 80's with the release of Castle Wolfenstein, Then Beyond Castle Wolfenstein. In the 90's id Software discovered that the Wolfenstein name was open so they took it to develop Wolfenstein 3D. In the new millennium they released Return to Castle Wolfenstein with Splash Damage's Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Later in 2009 Wolfenstein was released. So there had never been a game called Wolfenstein up until that point. Now with DOOM... DOOM is different the first title in the series was called DOOM not DOOM 3D. So I very much doubt they will simply call the game DOOM. There just hasn't been any public announcements about the game at all except that it is being developed and they are calling at this point DOOM. So really we just have to wait until this years QuakeCon before we start complaining about what id is going to call their in development title that isn't going to be released for at least another year or two. Talk about OVERKILL...

Pfft, not an issue. When I tell people I like to play Doom I already have to add 'You know, the old one', so it won't make a difference to me if they name it Ultimate Doom: Hell on Earth.

I think of everything under the id Tech 1 umbrella as DOOM. DOOM, DOOM II, and Final DOOM are all the same game to me and Heretic / Hexen / Strife are DOOM in different clothing.

And, of course, whatever title id gives DOOM 4 we can all prepare to be disappointed by it. I mean, think of the startling innovations DOOM3 added to the series... such as FOUR-PLAYER DEATHMATCH. IN 2004.

No, FPS games these days seem to be going the way of Valve by providing 10-20 hours of extremely linear, disposable thrills with nowhere the wealth of content provided by DOOM way back in the day.

Despite the replay value offered by Half-Life 2, riding the same roller-coaster over and over gets old eventually. Single-player Source engine mods? Phah.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Stroggos said:

the game!!!!!

Shit.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

I mean, think of the startling innovations DOOM3 added to the series... such as FOUR-PLAYER DEATHMATCH. IN 2004.

You make it sound like a bad thing.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

And, of course, whatever title id gives DOOM 4 we can all prepare to be disappointed by it. I mean, think of the startling innovations DOOM3 added to the series... such as FOUR-PLAYER DEATHMATCH. IN 2004.

Doom 3 was never promoted as a multiplayer game. They always made it clear that they were focusing on the SP campaign for that game. Had it not been for the fact that Doom was the start of Deathmatch for Id, it's possible they wouldn't have even put that rudimentary MP mode in. Anyway, they later upped it to 8 players, which should be enough for any mode in Doom3.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

No, FPS games these days seem to be going the way of Valve by providing 10-20 hours of extremely linear, disposable thrills with nowhere the wealth of content provided by DOOM way back in the day.

Well, that's factually wrong. Doom3 had more maps than Doom1, more monsters, more weapons and more game play modes.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Despite the replay value offered by Half-Life 2, riding the same roller-coaster over and over gets old eventually. Single-player Source engine mods? Phah.

There is no replay value offered by HL2. It's one of the most linear games ever made.

kristus said:

Well, that's factually wrong. Doom3 had more maps than Doom1, more monsters, more weapons and more game play modes.

There is no replay value offered by HL2. It's one of the most linear games ever made.

True, I can blast through Ultimate Doom in a few hours, but by the same token, Doom 3 remains one of the longest FPS games of the modern era. Granted, it could be argued that games like Borderlands are longer, but right now they remain very much the exception.

I find myself digging out Doom 3 again every so often, but then I enjoyed it first time around, more than I can say for HL2.

Why would they? They are shipping the latest instalment of one of the most famous game series ever.

Doom3 was long, especially when compared to many other modern FPS games. However, it's length was, for me, one of the things that contributed to its tediousness. It was just so samey and I got utterly fed up of it. By the end of the game, it felt like a real chore to complete it. The comparative shortness of the expansion pack (which I only played a few weeks ago thanks to me picking up a dirt cheap copy) was, IMO, one of the advantages it had over the core game as it didn't last long enough to get utterly stale like the main game did for me.

The boss fights were also full of suck (I remember in one of them, "demonic" voices WHISPERED THE BOSS'S WEAK POINT) and the final boss was just pathetic.

Didn't care much for the soul cube, either.

Essentially, DOOM 3 struck me as id trying to imitate Valve. I remember though, in one room they succeeded greatly.

It had to do with specimen boxes, a crane, and a conveniently-placed vent.

Stroggos said:

DOOM is different the first title in the series was called DOOM not DOOM 3D. So I very much doubt they will simply call the game DOOM.

Prince of Persia didn't mind.

Mr. Freeze said:

Personally, I don't care at all what it's called. Doom will always be Doom, no matter how many numbers or subtitles are added.

This.

Enjay said:

Doom3 was long, especially when compared to many other modern FPS games. However, it's length was, for me, one of the things that contributed to its tediousness. It was just so samey and I got utterly fed up of it. By the end of the game, it felt like a real chore to complete it. The comparative shortness of the expansion pack (which I only played a few weeks ago thanks to me picking up a dirt cheap copy) was, IMO, one of the advantages it had over the core game as it didn't last long enough to get utterly stale like the main game did for me.

RoE was definitely more exciting a game. But it was much because it was also a fair bit more challenging.
I recommend playing it without using the artifact (except when the gimmicky map puzzles require you to do it) I've managed to play up to the last couple of levels so far without using the Artifact on anything that didn't absolutely require it (again, the map puzzles after the first hell hunter boss)

I was thinking of doing the same with Doom3, only that instead of playing it in Veteran mode, I'd play it in Nightmare. So I would only have 25 health. That should really spice up the challenge a bit,. :)

Viewtiful-Chris said:

The boss fights were also full of suck (I remember in one of them, "demonic" voices WHISPERED THE BOSS'S WEAK POINT) and the final boss was just pathetic.

If you're talking about the boss in hell, the guardian. That was the soul cube whispering to you what to do.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Essentially, DOOM 3 struck me as id trying to imitate Valve. I remember though, in one room they succeeded greatly.

It had to do with specimen boxes, a crane, and a conveniently-placed vent.

Half Life 2 was released after Doom3. I remember hearing a long time before Doom3 was released and finished though that they were taking inspiration from System Shock 2.

Doom 3 didnt worry me at all, it was fun as hell only thing i didnt like was the turrets that helped you. I havent played RoE but it looks pretty cool.

Doom 3 as far as i remember came out a year before half life 2.

As long as ID is working with Doom 4 I'm sure we dont have much to worry about

Gez said:

Let's be serious one moment: when you say you're playing Doom, do you mean Doom, or Doom 2? Pretty sure in 95% of the cases it'll be the latter.

I usually say Doom 2 just so people know I'm talking about classic Doom.