Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Viewtiful-Chris

Danger regarding DOOM 4's title

I don't think it's going to matter much what they call Doom 4. If they stick with Doom 4, we'll refer to it as Doom 4. If they do something silly and call it Doom, we'll refer to it as Doom 4 anyway.

The funny thing about using the term Doom is that it means different things depending on who you're talking to.
Within this community most people understand Doom as being either an umbrella term for Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom, or it simply refers to Ultimate Doom. What it refers to is context dependant.

However, if you're talking to people outside the community, then I find that simply referring to Doom isn't enough, as they could assume you're talking about Doom 3. I often use the term Classic Doom, because I think people are more likely to know what I'm talking about then.

At least not as stupid as the Unreal Tournament confusion: Unreal Tournament, later called "UT99" by players because the successors were called UT2003 and UT2004, but then Epic recognizes a new UT title every year was an idiotic idea and called the next title Unreal Tournament 3... so players can call the classic UT "UT1" again, think of UT2004 as UT2 and ignore UT2003...

Subtitles can work well when they fit the theme.

Quake: The Slipgate Incident

Quake: Operation Alien Overlord

Which one is which? :)

Doom: Darkest Hour (haha Doom3 is dark!!)

Half-Life: Lost City

Epic likes to pretend UT2003 never happened, and UT3 was just further confirmation of pretending UT2004 was the second game.

I think the main reason to change the name was the bad idea of a new Unreal Tournament title every year. Yes, UT2004 was UT2003 fixed and done right (plus some bonus content). But that doesn´t mean UT2003 was such an embarrassment that Epic wanted to erase it from peoples memory. It was the base UT2004 build upon.

Mordeth said:

As Romero once put it regarding the next quake title: "I wonder where they're going to put that extra nail".

enlarge the C looking figure in the logo so much that there is more space for a additional nail.

Tetzlaff said:

Quake 4 solved that problem elegantly by not adding a bunch of nails to the logo...

If they kept adding nails to the Q logo, it would have looked like an ammo stripper clip.

printz said:

If they kept adding nails to the Q logo, it would have looked like an ammo stripper clip.

and it would look better than the quake4 logo, 4 small joints sticking out on the lower edges. they should have used instead 4 nails total.

GhostlyDeath said:

Imagine Quake 23

dont think ID will go so far, but if so, there will be no difference about how many nails there are

D_GARG said:

and it would look better than the quake4 logo, 4 small joints sticking out on the lower edges. they should have used instead 4 nails total.

4 nails? Why not just use Roman Numeral? IV would be a lot easier to fit and it has already been done so I know it looks nice.

I think because the idea would become corny. Using sticks would have been better, because they look like nails/spikes/bullets. Using a well-set conventional number would have maked it tacky and punny (wooow look at that Q with a number for a tail!!).

Probably. They did say something about not revealing anything Doom 4 before this year's QuakeCon.

PRIMEVAL said:

4 nails? Why not just use Roman Numeral? IV would be a lot easier to fit and it has already been done so I know it looks nice.

thats also a good option.

better than using some ugly joints :P

If you would be allowed to design the Quake logo, it would look like Immortal´s wristbands... an ugly mess of spikes arranged in a circle.

Tetzlaff said:

If you would be allowed to design the Quake logo, it would look like Immortal´s wristbands... an ugly mess of spikes arranged in a circle.

thats how its done!

If they call it doom they need to make it backwards compatible so that it loads wads and gives them a better updated look. I would seriously replay all the wads I've ever owned and downloaded if that's the case. At least the noteworthy ones or maybe the terrible ones.

zephyr said:

If they call it doom they need to make it backwards compatible so that it loads wads and gives them a better updated look. I would seriously replay all the wads I've ever owned and downloaded if that's the case. At least the noteworthy ones or maybe the terrible ones.

like, DOOM Mood or Mood: DOOM or ...

Doom: getting pissed of the adventures: The Bad Mood ( for Doom ) part2

Final Destination 9: Mood For Doom ( shit you cant make series of something with such a name .. its deffenetly not final in any rate. )

if you involve Mood you get hillarious shit

Quake LXVI: 6:th Unloading Of Nailguns.

zephyr said:

Probably you mean a WAD parser that converts the format to idtech5 format, and uses closest approximations of monsters. Doubtful id does it, and it would be only a novelty.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Todd Hollenshead:

If id software decides to go the route of Wolfenstein 2009 and call DOOM 4 simply "DOOM", I will be extremely pissed.

It irritates me like all hell when I refer to, say, DIABLO and people assume I'm talking about Diablo *II*.

This trend of sequels being named after the originals needs to stop.

I completely agree.

"DOOM 4" will probably stay. I mean, has Id ever been creative with titles? Heck, they came up with a completely new brand and ended up just slapping the name "Quake II" on it; they rebooted DOOM and they just add a tiny "3" to the end. Throwing numbers on things and calling it a day is what they do.