Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

SPEEDMIDI #4: Closed.

Ohshit, it's--

Starting early next Sunday (exactly 7 days from now), you will have a 24-hour period to compose a piece of music in MIDI format! The "theme" which your submission MUST be based around will be announced by me when the session starts, so have your MIDI editors open and ready at 11:00AM CST (6:00PM GMT+1)!

(If you're a little unfamiliar with these sessions, refer to this thread.)

Times:
American Central Standard Time (GMT-6): Sun 11:00AM -> Mon 11:00AM
British Summer Time (GMT+1): Sun 6:00PM -> Mon 6:00PM
Australian Western Standard Time (GMT+8): Mon 1:00AM -> Tue 1:00AM

Rules:

1. No sign-up is required, just submit your track when you're done with it before the session is up.
  2. Give your MIDI a name when you submit it.
  3. You may create more than one MIDI during this session.
  4. The MIDI must be made in the specified style, which will be revealed by me the minute the session commences.
  5. Try to make your MIDI longer than 1:30, just to keep things interesting. There is no definite minimum length, though.
  6. Submissions that are NOT MIDI will NOT be accepted.
MOST IMPORTANTLY: Please use ***SpeedyShare*** for uploading your submissions super-quick!

So what are you waiting for?!?

Just as a reminder, this shit starts in 2 days and 18 hours from this post! ;)

Well, I'll periodically remind everyone every six or so hours before it commences. I'll make sure you remember one way or another. :P

I'm so psyched about this I already composed my MIDI and put it on your computer.

file:///c:/windows/media/onestop.mid

(You'll have to copy this into your address bar manually. Sorry, I'm not that magic.)

Nice try, Creaphis, but unfortunately this session's theme was not going to be "Create a MIDI which covers everything that is great about every musical genre ever". ;)

By the way, you guys now have 24 hours ... to get psyched!! This round starts TOMORROW at exactly this time!

Jimmy91 said:

Nice try, Creaphis, but unfortunately this session's theme was not going to be "Create a MIDI which covers everything that is great about every musical genre ever". ;)

Darn! Worth a try though.

Off topic: I looked up the composer of that track out of curiosity. David Yackley. It looks like in the ten years since Microsoft paid him for a MIDI file he's become the biggest square in all of Christendom.

Downloaded guitar pro 5.2. Also got RSE... this is probably a stupid question... but we can make Midis from here and put them into Doom wads with XWE, right?

If by that you mean "use any of the submissions in your own WADs", then that's fine. As a precaution, you might want to seek permission from the submittors first. :)

Hope you guys are psyched. Because...

You have 24 hours to create a MIDI... which uses a 7/4 time signature. You may use other time signatures throughout the song if you wish (such as the more common 4/4 time), but the song's main time signature should be 7/4.

Good luck!

7/4 isn't that hard to nail. It's basically 4/4, 3/4, 4/4, 3/4 etc. Or 4/4 minus one measure every other bar. :P

Also don't lose sight of this:

You may use other time signatures throughout the song if you wish (such as the more common 4/4 time)

Here's an example MIDI I whipped up in the last couple of hours.
http://jimmy.phenomer.net/music-files/speedmidi/session4/The%20Ace%20of%20Sevens%20(Jimmy91).mid

EDIT: Err, somehow the drum track got fucked up. Reuploaded.

That's impressively fluid, while everything I try to write sounds like it's fighting against the tempo - it wants to be 6/4. Unfortunately I have an exam tomorrow so I can't spend much more time on this. Maybe (emphasis on maybe) I'll try again later...

thats a really nice track stewboy
and I learned I can't make any thing close to a finished song yet (need more practice).

Those are two absolutely excellent MIDIs, stewboy. Awesome work. :)

There's three and a half hours left! Who else can submit something within that time?

Yeah, this ended more than an hour ago. :/ D'oh.

Props to stewboy for submitting two tracks to this. Er, the only two, that is. :| Was today's theme too hard? Perhaps I should veer towards styles rather than technical themes. Next time this is hosted I'll make sure the theme is something everyone can do.

Maybe next time try something like creating a "hellish" theme or something. Heh. I only got Guitar pro a day before the restriction was announced so when I read that stuff I was like ":/".

Jimmy91 said:

If by that you mean "use any of the submissions in your own WADs", then that's fine. As a precaution, you might want to seek permission from the submittors first. :)

I meant more in the sense that once you've created a song with guitar pro, what do you have to do to make it compatable so you can play it as music in the game. And while we're at it how can you convert it so it plays with windows media player?

:)

Windows Media Player can play virtually any music format (although it's not quite as flexible as Winamp).

I'm not familiar with Guitar Pro, is an actual MIDI composer/editor? If that's not its main purpose, it should at least have a MIDI export function, but otherwise, you'll need to use another program if you want to submit something to these sessions, as these are strictly MIDI-only.

DeathevokatioN said:

I meant more in the sense that once you've created a song with guitar pro, what do you have to do to make it compatable so you can play it as music in the game. And while we're at it how can you convert it so it plays with windows media player?

:)

If the program you're using can export your song as a MIDI file, which will probably have the extension .mid, then Windows Media Player should be able to play it as is. To get the song to play in Doom, it used to be that you had to first convert the song to .mus, but later official versions of Doom added the capability to play unmodified MIDIs (though vanilla Doom still has some limitations, I think, like the MIDI can't be more than 8 channels, or be more than 64k in size). Use XWE or another lump editor to import your MIDI file into your pwad, and then name the MIDI lump the same as the song you want to replace. For instance, to get your new song to play on MAP01 of Doom 2, call it "d_runnin". A full list of Doom 2 track names can be found here.

See, even though I can't compose to save my life I can still be helpful.

Damnit, I wish I would've ended up catching this because 7/4 is my jawn piece