Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baronofheck82

Favorite Doom64 level/map/stage

My favorite was The Spiral. The infighting in that level was amazing.

The atmosphere was amazing in Dark Citadel, and Breakdown was outright creepy.

I've only played through Doom 64 once, I think I need to play through it again, as long as my controller pak doesn't corrupt my save data...

Yes, Dark Citadel was awesome.

The music was creepy and the level was extremely fun. I particularly loved the blue key trap in Dark Citadel and the large open area with pillars and cacodemons everywhere.

For most good looking and complex I'm not sure.

but for most odd and fun level it's either Cat and mouse or Hectic
(without bugs you cheating basterds!)

Whatever MAP04 was. Because it was freakin' awesome.

I liked Cat and Mouse and Hectic. Also, that level where you walked on bridges over the void (at least that's how I remember it).

I'm not sure. I don't really remember not liking any of the maps. Doom64 in itself is pretty difficult, but there's plenty ammo provided, the colored lighting really made a cool atmosphere for each map, and the detail and layouts were consistent. Not many of the maps really stand out but that's because almost all of them were equally sweet.

So many maps were rich in ambience, but the two that stand out the most are Breakdown and Altar of Pain. The latter level really disturbed me, I mean you're in Hell, then you hear babies crying.

Phml said:

Also, that level where you walked on bridges over the void (at least that's how I remember it).

I believe that is the secret level entitled "In the Void", which coincidentally is my favorite map. But like others have said, it is hard to choose a favorite when the game is pretty much full of good maps.

Aldaraia said:

So many maps were rich in ambience, but the two that stand out the most are Breakdown and Altar of Pain. The latter level really disturbed me, I mean you're in Hell, then you hear babies crying.

Altar Of Pain stood out for me, too. Mainly because that music was directly inherited from PSX Doom (Mt. Erebus, The Crusher) and is my favourite Doom BGM ever.

Aubrey Hodges is a god, what else is there to say?

Mattfrie1 said:

I've only played through Doom 64 once, I think I need to play through it again, as long as my controller pak doesn't corrupt my save data...

Time for a new Pak? ;)   If your data is/gets corrupted you can always hand-enter Doom 64 passwords to start on the map of your choice. There are password sets that let you begin with a default starting status, maximized status or, if the game's too easy, some "challenge" passwords that start you with 25% health and an empty pistol. :)

Honestly, I don't know what my favorite Doom64 Map is, but I love the entire game. Best Doom in my opinion.

The mid-game levels were some of my favorites..The Bleeding, Dark Citidel, Eye of the Storm and Altar of Pain were among the top ones I like, mainly due to atmosphere.

Ledmeister said:

Time for a new Pak?

Actually it is this piece of shit. Guess I deserve that for not getting an official Nintendo one. Good thing I do own a Nintendo brand controller pak. All the important game data goes on that one. ;)

I like them all personally. However, if there's one level that really stood out in my mind, it would be Watch Your Step. The level starts out with no monsters whatsoever. I found it odd, yet I played through. As soon as I got to a certain point in the level, I was practically rushed by monsters with little room for dodging.

As if that wasn't bad enough, when you head back to the main courtyard, there's even more monsters with the finale of the level being two Cyberdemons ready to end you.

The back and forth between eerie calm and chaotic slaughter-fest really makes the level stand out for me.

It was nearly a perfect game! Well layed out, lots of work put into that! every level feels a little different, looks a little different. I always wanna play it from the begining through, and i do more often then all other versions. It's to bad some monsters were missing, and that it wasnt complete in that way, and that the sprites werent higher resolution, and missing frames from the weapons. I wish i knew how to model, and could make some sprites like that, or that they the originals could be gotten ahold of somehow! Those are just extra perks though, the game was great either way!

I was somewhat impressed with that one level where you walk into a room with 8 or different hallways joining at a center, where several "moving" walls come from to trap you in.

Always seemed like a good usage of the doom 64 macro system.

As far as visuals/atmosphere go, In the Void does stand out. The level has a certain dream-like quality to it.

Nems said:
However, if there's one level that really stood out in my mind, it would be Watch Your Step.

It had some of the best music in my opinion and the two Cyberdemons caused me many headaches back in the day... There was no mid level saving in Doom 64.

"Even Simpler" due to its homage to Doom 2's "Dead Simple" and "Watch Your Step" due to its clever traps and you face 2 cyberdemons in that map.

darkreaver said:

Hmmmm, I have never played Doom64 (or PSX Doom), but I`m certainly going to do something about that, soon.

When you do, make sure to play it at night with all the lights out.

Aldaraia said:

When you do, make sure to play it at night with all the lights out.

Hell yes! Thats what I have planned, acctually :D I often listen to the PSX Doom soundtrack at night, when I`m mapping, so damn eerie.

InsanityBringer said:

I was somewhat impressed with that one level where you walk into a room with 8 or different hallways joining at a center, where several "moving" walls come from to trap you in.

Burnt Offerings. Yah, it was cool how the walls silently zoom together.