Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

How Fast Are You?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/reaction_version5.swf

The fastest avg I've gotten is 0.1778, with the fastest single tap that's above 0.1* being 0.1365.

The fastest "deliberate" tap, the one that I felt was from my fair reaction time, and not just from a lucky strike, is 0.166.

Most of the time though, I get somewhere between 0.22-0.25.

*Anything 0.1 and below is, more or less, a lucky strike.

I made it to 0.1766. One of the sheep was pegged at 0.114 and I did legitimately react to it. I find that most of the reaction times are right around the .165 mark, the .22 mark, and the .275 mark, with basically nothing in between these numbers. This makes me believe that there's something limiting about the mouse or maybe the software.

Edit: Best legitimate reaction is .108.

Edit again: My best average is now 0.1564. All reactions were legitimate.

Average time of 0.2464 on my first run. Very slow on the first sheep at 0.391 and hit the last two in 0.168.

What worked for me is catching the sheep in my peripheral vision instead of staring directly at the flock. And that emphasizing sight over sound (they do make a flutter when they start running) is better.

Fastest single catch for me, under my own reaction, and not just a lucky pre-anticipated strike, is now 0.136!

.1894 seconds, all between .175 and .200. Guess I've got consistency going for me!

0.1954 average, with two .128s, one .108s, and two over .250s

Quite the dwindling outlier, huh?

Presumably, the average Doomer is going to be slightly faster than most others. Or at least, I'd like to think that's the case anyway. Accountants might be good at it too! Crane operators not so much.

0.223 here.

Six said:

Okay you beat me, 0.055 here. It was weird though, I honestly thought that was my reaction but I guess some sheep just lift it´s head and I reacted on that.

I can't quite understand how that even happens.

Edit:

i got freaking 0.000, and 0.054 again! Then my reaction went down hill.

but the calculation is different since my second time has only 4 digits, not 5.

Heh.

I got 0.222 twice in a row!

Other than that, I'm pretty slow, 0.3004 average. But that's my first try though.

Mattfrie1 said:

I got 0.222 twice in a row!

Other than that, I'm pretty slow, 0.3004 average. But that's my first try though.

YUeah there is something fishy. I got 0.222 on all the sheep, two games in a row. wtf

Belial said:

.168, .162, .168, .168, .221

Impressive. A possible contributing factor to your extraordinary Dooming abilities.

I'm interested in seeing how Vile, GreenHerring, Anima Zero, and other demo recorders fare in this test.

Anything around the .05 mark is a fluke. 0.1 is generally considered the fastest reaction time humanly possible.

Is anyone else annoyed by that sheep sticking out on the bottom of the screen? It completely blocks the view of any sheep racing out of that area and seems to add about .1 seconds every single time.

AndrewB said:

Anything around the .05 mark is a fluke. 0.1 is generally considered the fastest reaction time humanly possible.

Yeah, because I mean, fuck that whole "Tag Heuer official chronograpy" bullshit!

All you need is an interactive animation running inside a Flash plugin inside an internet browser in multitasking operating system, using internal actionscript timing functions, which on turn rely on windows system timer with it's 15ms accuracy, are a 100% accurate and reliable way of measuring time with negligible input latency and constant results.

On that note, seemingly faster reactions are possible if they are applied to predictable events/mechanical actions etc.

I only tried once.

Sheep 1: 0.222
Sheep 2: 0.223
Sheep 3: 0.226
Sheep 4: 0.221
Sheep 5: 0.222

AVG: 0.2228 seconds

It would be interesting if people posted their browser, OS and Flash plugin version in addition to their times, to see if there is any sort of bias. I will compile the necessary excel files and stat analysis, ofc.

I repeated my tests:

AVG: 0.192

1. 0.222
  2. 0.162
  3. 0.229
  4. 0.181
  5. 0.162
Browser: Mozilla Firefox v 3.5.9
Flash Plugin: Adobe Flash v 10.0.45.2

My guess is that the underlying OS will affect the results more than anything (e.g. the Windows NT family is notorious for having a very coarse millisecond timer accuracy of only 15 ms, while Linux is much more precise, and so should be Mac OS).

AndrewB said:

Is anyone else annoyed by that sheep sticking out on the bottom of the screen? It completely blocks the view of any sheep racing out of that area and seems to add about .1 seconds every single time.

Agreed, anyone claiming less than 0.1 probably had their share of 3-second penalties.

That fucking sheep at the bottom needs to be shot.

Doom Marine said:

Agreed, anyone claiming less than 0.1 probably had their share of 3-second penalties.

That fucking sheep at the bottom needs to be shot.

That was my first and only time trying, and I tried to predict when it would leave. So that one was based on prediction, not reaction.