Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cybdmn

Have anyone noticed this? [Freedoom on iPhone]

"Prepare your self." It's deep. I guess we don't have to prepare our id, though.

But yeah, it was noticed, the guys behind this pimped their stuff out here.

Gez said:

"Prepare your self." It's deep. I guess we don't have to prepare our id, though.

Heh, i haven't seen this. Looks very professional, as well as the dead link and the irritating links to that IT company from india.

Gez said:

But yeah, it was noticed, the guys behind this pimped their stuff out here.

Oh, i must have missed that. Saw the game today in the app store, it was strange to see the Freedoom screenshots there.

ikreeda in the other thread said:

As for the source code we have given a link to a webpage that contains the download link to our modified source code from the game. So any one can get it and improve it.
We have also decide to contribute sound tracks we used for this to the Freedoom project and be actively participate in this wonderful community project.

But I haven't found that link, or the page where it's given. Didn't see it in the thread, didn't see it on the iTunes store, didn't see it on the ikreeda webpage (though to be fair, it seems quite rushed and unfinished -- e.g. click on the games link and you get a 404).

Also it seems to belong to something called NGS Technologies which is also unintentionally funny in its exaggeratedly cliché boilerplates corporate templates combined with prominent amateurish typos (I mean, they provide intergration of software technologies).

Has anyone laid their hands on the game to see how they've got around the unfinished bosses?

NGS Technologies comprise of a dedicated team of highly skilled individuals specializing in a wide variety of technologies including .NET, JAVA , c++ and open source.

Heh - I didn't realize open source was a technology.

I've bought it yesterday.
The game port itself is unfinished like the website. The controls missing some of their graphics. So there is no way to see, where the strafe buttons are in the default configuration, and the shoot button is missed too. To change the control scheme, you have to touch blind on the point, where the alternative schemes in iPhone Doom are. Bugfixing is what is needed.

So it's just a pile of shit pretty much from what I can tell.

1) Minimal effort to get the engine running on the ipod
2) Take semi-finished FreeDoom wad made by a ton of people
3) Sell it for two bucks a pop and make a few dollars

Why didn't I think of this?!

Ralphis said:

Why didn't I think of this?!

Why didn't you? I am sure, many DW users would have done a better job. You could try this with HacX, or ask TV for permission to do it with Harmony. :-D

To illustrate the problems with the GUI, i have made some screenshots.

Original settings menu.

HoE II settings menu. Note the invisible buttons for the three control schemes.

Original default control scheme.

HoE II default control scheme. Invisible shoot button.

Original second control scheme.

HoE II second control scheme. Invisible shoot button.

Original third control scheme.

HoE II sthird control scheme. Invisible shoot button.

What a scam. Get id on their assess. I can't even find the source and I doubt it even exists for this port. Their website is a complete dead link mess.

EDIT: Double checked, there is no source code. Most likely this was done on the last week of March, where he took The Classic Doom source and slapped FreeDoom on it, called it his own, and sold it for money. Basically shitting on both id's work on Classic Doom and the communities work on FreeDoom.

The price jumped to $1.99, if it's half off it's $4.

The "corporate" website is just a template with nothing on it. Other searches for the same company are much more believable. So most likely it's stolen from a foreign company nobody would know about.

The quotes in the description seem to be mostly fake with at least one real reference is just a snipped sentence. Removing sentences to make it sound better than it is (i.e. "I liked this pretty much. However, it crashes every 5 minutes" turns into "I liked this pretty much.").

I have to admit it was this part (from the other thread) that made me O_O

ikreeda said:

It took us more than a month to finish this.

A month? A MONTH? Like working on something for a month was a big deal. That's nothing and pretty much shows that very little was put into making it. How long has FreeDoom been in the works? How long have most source ports been in development? How long do most Doom mods of any size take to make? Each one of those things (even discounting Mordeth) are well over a month and often measured in years.

A month. :roll:

As long as the source code is released (ie. modified iPhone Doom source), then it's perfectly legit and not a scam at all. They're perfectly within their rights to sell Freedoom on the iPhone store if they want.

There's also nothing to stop anyone else from uploading their own Freedoom-based app. If you don't like how it's priced, why not upload a cheaper version (free if it's possible?)

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's ethical which I imagine is why most people would look down on this

I would much prefer to see something cool like HacX or Harmony make it to the iPhone than this. This just seems to me like a minimal effort was put into this just to make some quick money.

Unrelated: Does anyone know if the iPhone Doom port supports DeHacked or BEX?

What really bothers me is the fact that they are charging for something made out of FREEDOOM using FREE source code.

Even the site and app graphics look like something I could do while drunk ffs. They just didn't care.

Mr. Freeze said:

What really bothers me is the fact that they are charging for something made out of FREEDOOM using FREE source code.

... which is something that is explicitly allowed by the licenses of both Freedoom and the source.

EDIT: Wait, the screenshots on the App store do include a shoot button. Did they somehow release the wrong version too?

Or they just edited it in the screenshot. Companies like that work in the cheapest way possible with minimal effort - still if somebody starts selling shit you made without your permission, they are breaking copyright laws and you can sue their asses and demand money from them.

fraggle said:

As long as the source code is released (ie. modified iPhone Doom source), then it's perfectly legit and not a scam at all. They're perfectly within their rights to sell Freedoom on the iPhone store if they want.

The source is here: http://www.ikreeda.com/hell_on_earth_2.zip

So that part is legit.

fraggle said:
There's also nothing to stop anyone else from uploading their own Freedoom-based app. If you don't like how it's priced, why not upload a cheaper version (free if it's possible?) [/B]

If you ask me, i would prefer if the Freedoom team would do that, even if it would cost the same. I bet, they would put much more effort in it, and would even release patches.

the_lurker said:

I would much prefer to see something cool like HacX or Harmony make it to the iPhone than this. This just seems to me like a minimal effort was put into this just to make some quick money.

I think HacX would need some changes to be comfortable playable on the iPhone. Especially when it comes to maps as "Anarchist Dream".
Harmony should be easy, as far as i've seen it until yet, but i haven't finished it.

the_lurker said:
Unrelated: Does anyone know if the iPhone Doom port supports DeHacked or BEX? [/B]

It's based on PrBoom, so DeHacked should be supported. But for what? You cannot start it with a command line parameter on the iPhone.

For anyone intending to do their own development, for Freedoom or otherwise, based on the iPhone Doom source, though, it should be noted that (unless I've been informed incorrectly,) Transfer Heights is not supported in it. It would need to either be implemented in the renderer, or removed from any maps that make use of it. (I'm pretty sure FreeDoom has at least a few Transfer Heights setups here and there.)

esselfortium said:

For anyone intending to do their own development, for Freedoom or otherwise, based on the iPhone Doom source, though, it should be noted that (unless I've been informed incorrectly,) Transfer Heights is not supported in it. It would need to either be implemented in the renderer, or removed from any maps that make use of it. (I'm pretty sure FreeDoom has at least a few Transfer Heights setups here and there.)

Have you an example, where in Freedoom it is used? I would like to look at this in the iPhone port.

From what i've seen, there are not much changes in the source, mostly minor changes for the different (incomplete) mapset and the different music track enumeration.

fraggle said:

If you don't like how it's priced, why not upload a cheaper version (free if it's possible?)

I don't think it's possible to make a free iPhone app if you want it available on non-jailbroken phones.

cybdmn said:

The source is here: http://www.ikreeda.com/hell_on_earth_2.zip

So that part is legit.

Where did you find that link? I couldn't see it on their website nor in the other thread.

Think again Gez...there are tons of free apps.

A) this is completely legal
B) the dude who uh compiled it had to pay $100 for the privelege of being able to release an app - do you really think 50 people will buy this?

Any FPS where you have to put your fucking fingers on the screen to move, is FAIL. Even more if the screen is barely larger than your hand to begin with.

Mr. T said:

B) the dude who uh compiled it had to pay $100 for the privelege of being able to release an app - do you really think 50 people will buy this?

Really, "porting" games such as doom to devices such as the iPod without proper controls is just an exercise in futility. If the authors didn't see that coming (by doing an even more half-assed job than was already available) then it's their fault. But I'm sure they'll break even. Anyone dumb enough to own an iPhone and "buying apple store apps" for it will likely fall for that, too.

Gez said:

I don't think it's possible to make a free iPhone app if you want it available on non-jailbroken phones.

In which case, good on them for making Freedoom available for iPhone users!

david_a:
... which is something that is explicitly allowed by the licenses of both Freedoom and the source.

Exactly.

cybdmn said:
If you ask me, i would prefer if the Freedoom team would do that, even if it would cost the same. I bet, they would put much more effort in it, and would even release patches.

I doubt most of the core Freedoom team members (MikeRS etc) even have iPhones that they could use to develop such a port.

Ralphis mentioned that it might be considered legal but not ethical. If people really find this unethical, or if they think the people who have uploaded this app have set a price that is too high, I suggest (again) that someone create a Freedoom iPhone app and set the minimum price possible. If it isn't possible to give it away for free, investigate whether the Freedoom team need any money; if they don't, I suggest it be donated to the FSF who host the project.

If nobody is willing to even go to that effort (and it really is a very minimal amount of effort that's needed), I can only thank Ikreeda for having done so, and they are (he is?) welcome to any money they might make.

Gez said:

It is possible, there are tons of free apps.

Gez said:

Where did you find that link? I couldn't see it on their website nor in the other thread.

You find it, if you tap on the "website link" in the game. This leads you to http://www.ikreeda.com/about_hoe2.aspx
Ironically, Safari on the iPhone can't download files. ;-)

fraggle said:

I doubt most of the core Freedoom team members (MikeRS etc) even have iPhones that they could use to develop such a port.

This was just meant as "if they would to decide to do, they would for sure care more.

The port needs really some tweaks. On Map03 the framerate drops to zero, what about playtesting?
Yesterday came an update ...

What's New in Version 2.7.1
- New icon
- Minor bug fixes
- New sound track

At least the part with the new icon is true. The essential icons (shoot button, control schemes), like mentioned before are still missing.

cybdmn said:

Unfortunately this would require access to a Mac and an Apple developer subscription. If I had those I'd be sorely tempted to do a free freedoom. I would also be keen to add PWAD support.

Edit: my E1M1/MAP01 has been replaced :( It used the transfer sector properties stuff extensively. If the iPhone doom source doesn't support that (which surprises me. Or maybe it's because the GL renderer doesn't?) that might explain why they swapped it out.

Jon said:

I would also be keen to add PWAD support.

This would require to work really with the source. You have no access to simply put files on the iPhone. So you need a mechanism for downloading these PWADs, like id has done this with Wolfenstein 3-D.

Jon said:

Edit: my E1M1/MAP01 has been replaced :( It used the transfer sector properties stuff extensively. If the iPhone doom source doesn't support that (which surprises me. Or maybe it's because the GL renderer doesn't?) that might explain why they swapped it out.

Or simply as esselfortium said, because it is based on PrBoom.

cybdmn said:

This would require to work really with the source. You have no access to simply put files on the iPhone. So you need a mechanism for downloading these PWADs, like id has done this with Wolfenstein 3-D.

I'd link in a webDAV server and let people drop PWADs into a share folder.