Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Finally I got my first Heretic map done, well, almost. I have to add a few things yet, but I guess I'd just like some feedback on how it currently is. The name of the map is Land of Sulfur, and as the name suggests, your gonna see a lot of those little volcano things and lava, especially as difficulty levels increase, but I've only tested it really on Easy mostly. So here it is...

http://filebeam.com/72864d95ac540f749c5f0aec86d182eb

So if you have any helpful tips of advice, I'm all ears.

Work harder.
Fix more visual bugs.
Ask yourself, is a banner texture fitting as texture for a door track?
Or is a green muck texture fitting for a door ceiling. Or any ceiling for that matter?
Add an exit.
Make it more difficult.

Hope it helps.

My thoughts:

- Behind every locked door there was simply a cavern/corridor that slithered it's way towards a room where the next key laid. As a consequence, most of the map felt like a bunch of corridors and they weren't very varied. Also, most fights, except for the last one, took place in these corridors. Try adding some rooms with interesting geography to make some interesting fights!

- I had to use my staff a bit at the beginning quite a lot(I played on Hard). I even had to staff an Ophidian to death in the Yellow door! Add more ammo at the beginning. Don't overdo it, but you know. Some more.

- This map had every weapon in the game (except for the Hellstaff), every key and every enemy. And it was kinda short. Try not putting everything into there.

So less corridors, more rooms. Put some effort into each room. Try to design something that you think would make for a cool fight. And add more ammo at the beginning. For the wand, I guess.

I guess it was kinda short... I thought all the keys would make it longer. As for ammo shortages, I purposly made sure there wasn't too much ammo on hard. However, I do agree that I should've added a bit more wand ammo, at least...

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll do my best with the other rooms.

Only way you're gonna get better is to keep going!

I'm no expert mapper, by the way. Those are just my opinions.

Keys do make it longer, but one room for each key is hardly enough. Have each area develop its own distinct surrounding, with larger rooms and switches leading to the key. To make it even better, interconnect the areas in a way. Reconsider and think about your texture choices a little more as well, and widen the passages.