Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
22Alpha22

Ambient Sounds, Decals, & Sprites

Three questions.
1st - How would I attach my ambient sounds to the ambient sound thing, so when I place the thing on my map it plays the sound?
2nd - The blood decals and bullet hole sprites included in the Zdoom.pk3, how could I put them on the walls to make it look like a battle happened?
3rd - Is it possible without models, to make sprites the can be seen from above and below?
Thanks for the help. :)

Thanks all questions answered, though that was not quite what I had in mind about the sprites. It appears that Zdoom does not support it anyway and I am not too fond of GZdoom. Example: The player is a hovercraft, like descent. He is coming down though a passage in the ceiling, and sees a robot below him. I wanted to be able to a sprite displays the robot as if looking down on it. But this is not possible.

22Alpha22 said:

as if looking down on it. But this is not possible.

I think some hacky methods have been developed to compare the player and monster positions to change the monster states to display vertical angle sprites, but this would only look right with the correct GL billboarding mode EDIT: Or simply the correct flag in Decorate (or software mode, which is OK with me (I would love descent with limited freelook...))

22Alpha22 said:

I wanted to be able to a sprite displays the robot as if looking down on it. But this is not possible.

I've thought about implementing such a feature, but I can't find any decent top-down sprites for Doom or Heretic. Thus, I can't even make a prototype to see if it would look okay to have a special top-down sprite for monsters if the player looks down enough. It's a chicken-and-egg problem, and I'm not a sprite artist. :P Really, this feature seems like it would require more work from sprite artists than programmers.

If anyone has any good top-down Doom or Heretic sprites, please share!!

Spleen said:

If anyone has any good top-down Doom or Heretic sprites, please share!!

Time to enlist the help of the people with the original Doom plasticine models gathering dust on their shelves. I know Gregor Puchatz still has the Spider Mastermind at least.

That would be cool if such sprites were made. I just relized anyway, that looking all the way down and up is not possible with Zdoom anyway. Maybe I should try GZdoom again, that way I would not need sprites, I could use models. Does anyone know how to convert the Descent models into MD3 or MD4 format?