Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sleepy_boy

Heights

I've noticed that our perception of many doom sprites may change after awhile.

Many of us started playing doom at the ages of 5-15, and that since you are the doomguy, you can assume that the imps and deamons are your same height.

So if you started to play Doom what you were 10, and you were 4'5" at the time, you would think think that the imps were 4'5" too.

What do you think?

true, but you really don't know where the doomguy's top of the head is. I would asume he's actually shorter than an imp. I actually figure out about how tall he must be but that was a long time ago... hmm actually just put a doomguy next to an imp then compare their size.

Did affect me for sure. But then again, the dimensions in DOOM are fucked up nevertheless.

Totally. The doomguy is only 1 meter tall.

Heh, the heights are screwed. Get right up to a soldier, and he's smaller on-screen than he should be, given that he's supposed to be YOUR SIZE. Wheras, the monster that appears to be your size (In game, of course) is the good old Baron. And look at how tall he is compared to soldiers.

Midgets, all of them, not that being a member of the vertically challenged fraternity is a bad thing, oh no...

Heights

Damn, at first glance I thought this was gonna be a thread about my school (Alamo Heights High School, Heights for short).

Heh, the heights are screwed. Get right up to a soldier, and he's smaller on-screen than he should be, given that he's supposed to be YOUR SIZE. Wheras, the monster that appears to be your size (In game, of course) is the good old Baron. And look at how tall he is compared to soldiers.

not really, go into zdoom, take your fist (make sure mouselook is on) and try punching the baron in the face. You have to move your mouse up quite a bit. Which would mean you're actually shorter then the baron by a lot.

No.

This is important stuff. It needs to be said!

TELL THE PEOPLE!

On the other hand, 32 pixels does seem to represent a meter. This would mean that ol' Doomguy has been eating all the pies.

32 DOOM units.

The DOOM guy being a little less than 2 meters tall <6 feet>.

OH, still if he was just a little less than 2 meter's he'd still be around 6 feet 5.

oh ok, I just consider 20 cm a lot when it comes to height. Yep, that would make him almost 6 feet.

Since I have no life to speak of, I did these measurements a few months back to settle an arguement. Here is a list of approximate heights based on the pixel heights of the Doom sprites:
----------------------pixels--------height
Player------------------56------------72 inch (6')
Baron/Knight------------74------------95 (7'11")
Arachnatron-------------55------------71 (5'11")
Chaingunner-------------60------------77 (6'5")
Cyberdemon-------------108-----------139 (11'7")
Mancubus----------------65------------84 (7')
Cacodemon --------------58------------75 (6'3")
Pain Elemental----------57------------74 (6'2")
Zombie------------------55------------71 (5'11")
Demon-------------------58------------75 (6'3")
Revenant----------------88-----------113 (9'5")
Lost Soul---------------41------------53 (4'5")
Mastermind-------------110-----------141 (11'9")
--------------(length) 195-----------251 (20'11")
Imp---------------------56------------72 (6')
Archvile----------------75------------96 (8')

I really don't think five year olds should be playing Doom. It'd probably mess them up for life.

I doupt the intentions of ID was to make the most Up to scale game ever, heh look at the levels.

This is the most important thread on the DW forums ever.

nay, ALL of sleepy_boys threads are the most important ever.

6ft tall

Doomguy and imps are only 6ft? I'm taller than that, damnit. Orion, if you want a sort-of idea, why not try chasecam in ZDoom when the imp is right next to Doomguy scratching him?

ElipsusD

What would we do without you? Thanks for that list, you've potentially saved this thread from opening a can of worms when everyone argues about which horseshoe size a Baron takes etc.

Lüt

You gave the odds of connecting a punch with an arachnotron as 1 in 9. What about the Spider Mastermind?

Lüt

You gave the odds of connecting a punch with an arachnotron as 1 in 9. What about the Spider Mastermind?

So small they cannot be measured :P

Sounds about right to me.They say 'Size is relative' anyway.
Has anyone ever punched out a SM?

Use the chasecam in ZDoom or Legacy. Go up next to an imp or soldier and you'll see you're every bit as tall as they are. Weird. The Baron on the other hand is a good two feet taller than you, but when you're playing in FPV mode (normal mode), he seems to be barely taller than you.
Once again, weird.

Use the chasecam in ZDoom or Legacy. Go up next to an imp or soldier and you'll see you're every bit as tall as they are. Weird. The Baron on the other hand is a good two feet taller than you, but when you're playing in FPV mode (normal mode), he seems to be barely taller than you.
Once again, weird.

not really, go into zdoom, take your fist (make sure mouselook is on) and try punching the baron in the face. You have to move your mouse up quite a bit. Which would mean you're actually shorter then the baron by a lot.

the easy way to do it is 1 pixel = inch

makes sense to

puts doomguy at just under 6 feet

most buildings have floors that are roughly ten feet tall.

this fits in with the average 128 tall texture.

etc etc.

Actually, the standard height for a normal room in DOOM is 72 units. 72 units was used a lot in DOOM1, and all start rooms in EP1 except E1M2 and E1M7 have that height IIRC. I don't have an editor here in school so I can't check.