Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

The SDL/Sound/Windows Vista trainwreck

After having to try and explain to Odamex users on a near daily basis why it is that their sound is often so messed up on Windows Vista/7, I've been wondering if any of the other SDL engines have found any type of fix in regards to this.

Basically, it appears independent midi control was stripped from Windows Vista onward. Having the music volume down also sets the sound volume to 0. So basically, you play with music and sound or you play with no sound at all (barring -nomusic).

Have any of the engine authors found a work around for this? What is the state of the SDL_Sound alternative and does it do anything differently? How can FMOD support independently controlling the volume levels and no SDL sound libary can half a decade after Vista's release?

I'm still running Windows XP so I've never experienced this first hand but, after explaining it so many times, I feel like I might as well have. All answers appreciated!

Simply put - SDL_mixer is in a pretty bad way. It needs a serious rewrite. Its not just MIDI volume, there are countless other problems with it to such an extent that its not fit for purpose frankly. On any platform bar perhaps XP.

Ralphis said:

Have any of the engine authors found a work around for this? What is the state of the SDL_Sound alternative and does it do anything differently? How can FMOD support independently controlling the volume levels and no SDL sound libary can half a decade after Vista's release?

FMOD does not use the system MIDI playback but implements its own. As a result it's not subject to these problems.

My general impression is that the system provided MIDI player is more or less worthless on Vista and up. I don't use it anymore for anything.

Yes, Microsoft's software MIDI synth is no longer a viable option for any source port (for any game).

So probably forget about that and stick with software generated MIDI (via Timidity or whatever). Sometimes giving users the choice is also giving yourself a big support headache.

andrewj said:

Yes, Microsoft's software MIDI synth is no longer a viable option for any source port (for any game).

So probably forget about that and stick with software generated MIDI (via Timidity or whatever). Sometimes giving users the choice is also giving yourself a big support headache.

Except that if you do *not* support native MIDI, then users with hardware MIDI support cannot use their sound cards. :>

Also all I keep hearing about is how Timidity butchers several of the songs in the IWADs. Until that gets fixed, I cannot feel comfortable about forcing people to use it.

Quasar said:

Except that if you do *not* support native MIDI, then users with hardware MIDI support cannot use their sound cards.

What do you mean, FM and AWE32/64 cards?

It's not really Timidity butchering the music, it's the crappy free patchsets that are available for it.

andrewj said:

What do you mean, FM and AWE32/64 cards?

Those, and (for consumers at least) Creative Labs Audigy/X-Fi (as well as Auzentech). There may be the occasional Roland or some oddball internal MIDI turtle beach card, too ;-)