Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

OBLIGE 3.57 Released

OBLIGE 3.57 has been released!

Many thanks to all the people who helped with their testing, feedback and contributions.

The most significant new stuff in 3.57 is the lighting system for DOOM, and also the fact that Heretic and Quake are supported (albeit in an early state, especially Quake).

What now? Time for a short break, recharge the batteries, and then really tackle a few of the major issues. It'll likely be a much longer development period than it was this time round.

LINK: http://oblige.sourceforge.net/

Change Log
+ new lighting system
+ early Heretic and Quake support
+ FreeDOOM is supported again

- faster node building (especially on large maps)
- faster / more robust CSG code
- faster cave generation logic

- maps are more efficient (less vertices and linedefs)
- better texture alignment (especially in caves)

- write all relevant settings in the LOGS.txt file

- Enhas improved his Gotcha-style arena maps
- Chris fixed a Boom-only linetype in his E1M8 map
- Chris contributed a brand new E1M8 boss map

- preliminary code to create Duke Nukem 3D maps
- support for 'Outdoor Shadows' (via a new module)
- separate 'Doom 1' and 'Ultimate Doom' game choices
- the DOOM CSG code supports rail and lighting brushes
- amount of natural/cavey areas is now varied

- buildings can have different outer and inner textures
- improved DOOM's Wolf theme: SS Nazis, silver doors
- more varied themes when making "a few" maps
- variation in number of keys and switches per level

- changed shortcut key to toggle module panel --> F5
- new shortcut keys: F1 = About, F2 = Build, F4 = Options
- more armor and ammo in the starting room
- improved fences at the edge of the map

- fixed the Level Control module
- fixed a bug where an outdoor area was too low to fit in
- fixed ugliness when outdoor rooms had differing sky heights
- fixed failure when engine was set to Legacy or Eternity
- fixed a rare assertion failure in the layout code

- fixed never using switched doors in small maps
- fixed rare bug of lowering pedestals stuck in ceiling
- fixed lowering bars, prevent running over them
- fixed bug where caves could become disconnected
- fixed weapon probabilities in the start room

This is really great. I'm very happy to see Heretic and especially Quake support.

Daaaayum ajapted

Put on Crazy monsters with the Hordes setting and you get a regular Deus Vult MAP02

Great stuff man!

It is my pleasure to help out on each and every release of Oblige.

For insane results, open defs.lua and look for MONSTER_QUANTITIES at the bottom..edit the "heaps" number to something between 200 and 1000 as it jacks up the number of monsters per level. Average count for a "Regular" sized level is between 200 and 400.

And yea, using "Hordes" and "Crazy" with jacked up quantity produces DV styled levels..make sure you increase the health and ammo if you are unsure!

Awesome work. Here is a neat little canyon I found, it would be great if the player went through the lower level of the canyon first, and later needed to cross the top of the canyon, sprinting over a narrow spot to get to the other side. I suppose with extrafloors for GL engines and Quake, a similar thing would be possible, crossing above a previous room on a catwalk, etc.

EDIT: And sometimes, a river running through a windy canyon would be neat... Wait, i think I saw lava flows in some rocky areas already.

Looks great. Have you thought about spinning off the sky generator into its own program? It'd seem great for a resource tool.

mammajamma said:

Have you thought about spinning off the sky generator into its own program?

Yes I have considered that. Guess the only thing stopping me is that making good GUI programs is very hard work :D

Really great release. I just generated a half-hell, half-tech themed Episode 1 and it's almost good enough to have been created by a human mapper.

Stunning as always. :)

Edit: there's a lot of weird wall errors in caves. plus water still hurts you. Water shouldn't hurt the doomguy :P

andrewj said:

Yes I have considered that. Guess the only thing stopping me is that making good GUI programs is very hard work :D

It couldn't be that hard. Just list a couple of themes (e.g. earth, space, hell), what type of sky to use (e.g. plain, city, mountain, just the sky, moon, maybe a combination of some of them), a choice of 1 or 4 parts, a preview, export, and you'd be set.

Csonicgo said:

there's a lot of weird wall errors in caves.

What sort of errors? (a nice bright screenshot would help)

mammajamma said:

It couldn't be that hard

It is not just programming, but making releases, testing and testing, writing documentation, and of course dealing with users. Heh, there was more stopping me than I thought :)

andrewj said:

It is not just programming, but making releases, testing and testing, writing documentation, and of course dealing with users. Heh, there was more stopping me than I thought :)

I meant conceptually :)

Csonicgo said:

Stunning as always. :)

Edit: there's a lot of weird wall errors in caves. plus water still hurts you. Water shouldn't hurt the doomguy :P

Are you talking about the occasional brighter than normal wall in a dark cave?

Say, did you program the new version to be thematically consistent? Because it just generated a full E2 for Ultimate Doom that has a consistent visual and naming theme and looks great.

Solarn said:

Say, did you program the new version to be thematically consistent? Because it just generated a full E2 for Ultimate Doom that has a consistent visual and naming theme and looks great.

Yes, Andrew added the "As Original" choice so it follows the same themes that Doom and Doom2 follow (E1-E2 are TECH, MAP01-11 are TECH, etc) so I don't have to make 3 seperate megawads under the specific levels that the themes follow in the IWADs.

I couldn't get any quake maps to work

it always gives me an error "w_loadwadfile: couldn't load gfx.wad"

Malinku said:

I couldn't get any quake maps to work

it always gives me an error "w_loadwadfile: couldn't load gfx.wad"

So if you place the PAK2.pak file into the ID1 folder, you get this error, but if you delete the PAK2.pak file, the error goes away?

That green sky works very well with the episode 2 when the lighting is less than the other episodes.

Mr. Chris said:

Are you talking about the occasional brighter than normal wall in a dark cave?

no, I mean that sometimes a fake wall suddenly appears, stretches and covers, like a curtain, a section of a cave area. as you walk to it, it stretches even more until it eventually disappears. it looks much like a BSP error.

Csonicgo said:

no, I mean that sometimes a fake wall suddenly appears, stretches and covers, like a curtain, a section of a cave area. as you walk to it, it stretches even more until it eventually disappears. it looks much like a BSP error.

Which port are you using CSonicGo?

andrewj said:

Which port are you using CSonicGo?

Eternity. It usually doesn't... do that kinda stuff. :P

Csonicgo said:

Like in TNT map09 (the Stronghold with all the hitscanners) when you raise/lower that invisible wall?

Csonicgo said:

How is anybody going to track this down? It's like saying, Oh I had a thought and it makes my brain hurt. You got to be specific!

Can you post the OBLIGDAT lump, which map you played (if there are more than one) and the co-ordinates, so this can be tested on a variety of other ports. At least we know now, that you used Eternity.

andrewj said:

So if you place the PAK2.pak file into the ID1 folder, you get this error, but if you delete the PAK2.pak file, the error goes away?

I'll test it when I get home form college. (as I have not had time to yet)

Say, I wonder if anyone's interested in posting the best maps, episodes or megawads Oblige has ever generated for them. I know I am. Oblige has reached a level where it can be a valid tool for making maps to actually play and enjoy.