Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bludshot

Things in MP and SP? (how to use flags properly?)

I'm making a map with Doom Builder, and I have some things that I want in SP and MP modes, and other things I only want in SP modes.

For the ones I want in both I have checked Easy, Medium, Hard and Multiplayer. But they aren't showing up in game in single player mode.

Can you not mix the two? Do I have to duplicate every Thing that I want in MP and SP?

Thanks

The multiplayer flag means the thing will appear in multiplayer only, uncheck it and the thing will appear in both single player and multiplayer.

It's not possible to make a thing appear only in single player, anything that appears in single player will also appear in multiplayer.

Oh! That's too bad. I guess I will make 2 versions of my map in map01 and map02 (mp then sp), since all the extra ammo and guns that I'm intending for SP only would ruin the map for mp.

Is it ok to check Easy, Medium, Hard and Multiplayer? Or should Multiplayer only be checked when you want a MP-only thing (ie: does it cause problems to check Multiplayer when it's not the only thing checked?) (like problems I might not easily notice)

Also, if you had a variety of easy, medium and hard things, which things show up in MP? All of them? Only Easy ones? (I will test this out...)

The easy flag causes a thing to appear at the "I'm too young to die" and "Hey, not too rough" skill levels.

The medium flag causes a thing to appear at the "Hurt me plenty" skill level.

The hard flag causes a thing to appear at the "Ultra-Violence" and "Nightmare!" skill levels.

If a thing has none of these 3 flags checked, it will never appear.

Doom_user said:

It's not possible to make a thing appear only in single player, anything that appears in single player will also appear in multiplayer.

At least, that is so in the Doom map format. The Hexen map format and UDMF allows to have things only in single-player mode, or to distinguish between coop and deathmatch; but there are relatively few source ports that accept to load these formats.

BOOM maps can use the flags NOTSINGLE, NOTCOOP, and NOTDM to fine-control what game modes that things do *not* appear in.

Gez said:

At least, that is so in the Doom map format. The Hexen map format and UDMF allows to have things only in single-player mode, or to distinguish between coop and deathmatch; but there are relatively few source ports that accept to load these formats.

You are forgetting Boom which nearly every modern source port support.

Quasar said:

BOOM maps can use the flags NOTSINGLE, NOTCOOP, and NOTDM to fine-control what game modes that things do *not* appear in.

To be extra clear: these flags allow for all possible combinations of game modes.

P.S. Map editors ought to show these flags in the positive way, e.g. as check buttons called "SP", "COOP, "DM" or similar. Negating them during read and write is trivial.