Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AzaryDoom2020

Microsoft NET Framework 4 is coming!

This is not an advertisement at all, no sir. And Visual Studio 2010 is a completely pointless upgrade unless you think you need multi-monitor support. Pretty much all the rest of the new features are enterprise level.

From the perspective of a Linux user, more proprietary standards are usually bad news. :(

Spleen said:

From the perspective of a Linux user, more proprietary standards are usually bad news. :(

Well, no worry for me, I could probably download it for free, because I'm a student.

My interest in .NET and C# has sort of fallen by the wayside in recent years, but being a Lisper it's nice to see they added lambda and optional parameters to it. Almost reminds me of Greenspun's Tenth Rule...

Overall I agree with Spleen, though.

printz said:

Well, no worry for me, I could probably download it for free, because I'm a student.

Yes you can

Anyway I don't know about any of these proprietary new standards to worry about, .NET 4.0 is basically an update and not much else. And not the most useful of updates for that matter. It's really nothing to concern yourself over unless you're a large software firm (since it'll take a while for apps that require .NET 4.0 to come in and by that point Microsoft will have added .NET 4.0 to Windows Update).

Spleen said:

You must live in a very sad, bleak world.

I'm looking forward to upgrading in a week or two at work. The improvements look exciting for us.

I still don't know why this thread exists on this forum, however.

Meh. I'll continue using 2.0 and 3.0 features until I complete the projects I started with them, and then do the jump.

I used to do everything in C#(including my Doom port), but I've grown rather disenfranchised with recent versions of Windows. So I've gone back to C to support older versions of Windows.

Plus I didn't really see much of a difference between 3.0 and 2.0. It wasn't the huge upgrade that 2.0 was.

3.0 was massive - it introduced WPF, WCF, WWF, and the rest of the 'foundations' for the first time. 3.5 was the one that added a ton of more 'visible' changes, like lambdas, extension methods, LINQ, etc.

4.0 has some 'day to day' stuff along with further refinements of all the foundations. Having a massive API churn every major release is not a good thing - it takes a while to get up to speed with all the new technologies.

For information about this, please visit FileHippo website, then choose Microsoft NET Framework 4 and finally choose Changelog for information!

http://www.filehippo.com/download_dotnet_framework_4/changelog

You can download it there.

EDIT:- For system requirements, visit Microsoft NET here:-

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992&displaylang=en

StevieCybernetik said:

I have really no idea what this is...is it anything important?

Wait until Jodwin rapes your ass with a razor-sharp C#4rp app and makes it bleed, bitch, and it will become abundantly clear.

david_a said:

3.0 was massive - it introduced WPF, WCF, WWF, and the rest of the 'foundations' for the first time. 3.5 was the one that added a ton of more 'visible' changes, like lambdas, extension methods, LINQ, etc.

Well it wasn't massive to me because I could never use any of those things. Either they required newer versions of Windows or were incompatible with Mono. Nobody wants a Doom port that only works on Vista/Vista2.

Scet said:

Well it wasn't massive to me because I could never use any of those things. Either they required newer versions of Windows or were incompatible with Mono. Nobody wants a Doom port that only works on Vista/Vista2.

You can actually use most of the new language features from 3.5 and still target .NET 2.0. That's we do at for our legacy .NET 2.0 projects. I use VS2008, target .NET 2.0 and use a small library called linqbridge which provides a free 2.0 implementation of linq to objects extension methods. It's made coding for 2.0 so much easier and enjoyable.

There's definitely a lot .NET 4.0, it's just all in the tools and libraries rather than the language, although there's some neat stuff there too.

Every time my computer resets, it tells me to install .net 2.0. I've done so like 4 times I think, but it keeps saying that.