Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WinstonSmith6079

PRBoom+ v2.506: Mouse-Button Binding?; Launcher?

I'm new to PRBoom Plus, just downloaded it yesterday for the first time.

I'm having trouble binding the actions that I want to my mouse-buttons and need to know how to I can do that.

I want MB1 (the left button) to Fire (this was no problem and is done), MB2 to Open/Use (with a single click, not a double-click), MB3 (the mouse-wheel in the top center) to toggle the Automap, and I want to switch weapons by rolling the wheel--mouse-wheel up for Next Weapon and mouse-wheel down for the Previous Weapon.

I took a look in the .CFG file to try to do this stuff, but didn't understand the codes next to the actions. They seem to represent particular keys and things, but I don't know those codes!

I also want the Launcher to come back when I boot the port, as I may wanna easily change IWADs and/or add a PWAD next time I run it.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

I could be wrong but I don't see any code to allow this in the source :< In Doom the mouse was hard-coded to certain actions on each button.

Oh. I hope you're wrong because, even though certain things were hard-coded in the original game program, that would rather defeat the purpose of an added feature like mouse-look, which exists in the port (but didn't in the original game).

PrBoom/+ have always had pretty limited control settings (even compared to Chocolate-Doom, which is all about keeping things as close to vanilla as possible..)

You can't easily clear binded keys, and use is basically worthless on the mouse since it has to be double click.

I personally just went into the .cfg file and put '-1' for the lines relating to the right and middle buttons.

I'm now used to these limitations, but I REALLY wish something would be done about this.

Entryway hasn't really showed any interest in working on this unfortunately. I don't know if it's too much work or if he just doesn't care. Wish he wouldn't have dodged the subject when I brought this up a while ago. :/

If you disable the mouse actions in the config file it might be possible to use a third-party "mouse to key" utility to accomplish the same thing, by remapping mouse buttons to generate keydown events for the actions you want to target. Just an idea.

Quasar said:

If you disable the mouse actions in the config file it might be possible to use a third-party "mouse to key" utility to accomplish the same thing, by remapping mouse buttons to generate keydown events for the actions you want to target. Just an idea.

Yeah this has been mentioned. Honestly, I'd rather adapt to using space bar for 'use' over messing with some external app, mostly because I like to have doom on my flash drive.

I can help. CLICK HERE! "how-to-add-mouse-binds-to-prboom-plus-using-autohotkey-in-windows"

There are no Next Weapon and Previous Weapon commands in PrBoom though, so I guess a script could be written to go up and down the number keys (what about empty slots?) but that is beyond my capability at this time and I'm afraid it would break easily while in a game.

To re-enable the launcher there is a menu option. Options > General > page 2 > last item “use in-game launcher = Smart”

or in the cfg.

# Prboom-plus launcher settings
launcher_enable               1

Mike.Reiner said:

Yeah this has been mentioned. Honestly, I'd rather adapt to using space bar for 'use' over messing with some external app, mostly because I like to have doom on my flash drive.

I've also asked and wish very much that PrBoom support these function natively. On my EeePC it is uncomfortable to reach the Spacebar while keeping my fingers on my movement keys. So short of learning C(+)(+?) which I intend to one day this was the quickest work around.

I Play Doom from USB sometimes and as I mention in the How To, once the bind script is finished it can be converted to a standalone exe and be ran on systems without AutoHotKey. I keep it in my PrBoom-Plus folder and if I add it to the top of my PrBoom batch files (all with relative paths ;)) I don't even have to remember to launch it.

Woah! That did help, a lot! Thanks, man! :-) However I would still love to see a Next Weapon/Previous Weapon function in PRBoom+ (and GLBoom+). I totally can't get to those number-keys in time to switch my weapons that way.

I've used GZDoom for years and it has such a function, as do the vast majority of FPSs. I don't see why PRBoom+ shouldn't have it too. So please, somebody put that in there, please.

WinstonSmith6079 said:

Woah! That did help, a lot! Thanks, man! :-) However I would still love to see a Next Weapon/Previous Weapon function in PRBoom+ (and GLBoom+). I totally can't get to those number-keys in time to switch my weapons that way.

I'm glad it helps.

Yeah, ever since Quake 3 I've learned to bind my weapons around my movement keys and bind single weapons to mouse buttons/wheel up & down. If the game has that many weapons and I'm familiar with them and I am serious enough about the game... Otherwise, yeah I use Next Weapon/Previous Weapon on the Mouse Wheel and numbers on the keyboard.

Boom allows easy re-binding to the keyboard by default (no need for AutoHotkey for this). (G)ZDoom can bind the weapons to other keys and mouse buttons/wheel as well but you have to dig in the ini file.

My movement keys are ESDF so I group Doom's weapons as follows.

z=Fist\Chainsaw
w=Pistol
r=Shotgun(s)
a=Chaingun
t=Rocket Launcher
g=Plasmagun
v=BFG

Since Doom is what I play most I just carry the theme to other games.

In Quake 3

a=Lightning Gun since it's common and acts like the Doom chaingun
r=Shotgun
g=Plasmagun
t=Rocket Launcher
q=Grenade Launcher
wheel up=Railgun
wheel down=BFG since it's rare and an super Plasmagun
mouse thumb=Gauntlet/Melee
etc...

Visual Aid for my Doom setup. Numbers represent the default weapon number in Doom.

Yeah, I could re-bind the weapon buttons to other buttons, but I still would love a Next Weapon/Previous Weapon function that could be bound to Mouse-Wheel Up and Mouse-Wheel Down, respectively.

Hell, if I had the technical and programming knowledge, I'd add the function myself and release it to everyone, submit it to the PRBoom+ people for approval as a new version and stuff and whatever. But I don't. :( I sure wish that someone who does have such knowledge would add that in there, though. I'm guessing that it wouldn't truly screw-up old compatibilities and all to have that in there.