Blood Mod - Download v1.0 - no gibs

How much gore should Doom have?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How much gore should Doom have?

• None
    • Minimal
    • \'Realistic\'
    • Excessive

It seems that every ZDoom mod nowadays has used Nashgore, and frankly, I think the Doom community could use some new gore. Nashgore seems to be taken from BLOOD and I'd like to make some new gore that uses original sprites not taken from other games. So here's something I made in a few minutes. Looks a little too blob-like IMO, but a newer version will be out soon.

EDIT 4: Next version will have:
-fix for decal issues
-gibs for exploding bodies
-animation for blood hitting ground
-pools of blood on the ground

EDIT 2: Quick Gore Mod For ZDoom/GZDoom.
DOWNLOAD

EDIT 3: Some new decals to accompany this. Doesnt seem to work right in ZDoom. GZDoom only until I can figure out what went wrong.
DOWNLOAD

EDIT: just a quick shot of what i had in mind. quickly threw this together for GZDoom. At the moment the blood uses alpha channels, will palletize and make compatible with software ZDoom.

Screenshots:
Screenshot 1 - Hardware
Screenshot 2 - Software
Screenshot 3 - Software

Gore in doom should look like it already does, it doesn't need help. Unless you're a 12 year old (or of the mental age of a 12 year old), adding gore in doom, just for the sake of adding gore, probably isn't going to add much to the gameplay experience.

I enjoyed it when Legacy first added wall decals. But that's about as far as extra gore I ever give a shit about.

If you're going for extreme detail and realism in your gore, make sure it doesn't make everything else look bland by comparison. This is an issue with using high-res texture replacements, for instance.

With regards to amounts, too much makes it look like you just busted a fire hydrant instead of a demon.

Minimal is probably the best option.

I like the concept of nashgore, but the way it's displayed in game is really lame. The blood shoot upward like a fountain like 25 feet in the air. The blood should be much 'heavier' so to speak so it doesn't go so high. I think it would look cooler if it were going faster at a horizontal direction than an upward direction too.

I can do some good gore sprites if ya want.

@hobbs - we're talking about a video game here. a certain level of immaturity is required to play them in the first place

@Rancid - I'll be making the blood sprites myself, but thanks nonetheless. I absolutely agree that it looks odd that Nashgore blood goes flying up into the air for no reason. When I start making gibs, I'll let you know if I need any help.

Well... realistic gore would be no gore. Shooting a zombie would get you nowhere. His circulatory system has stopped working. You're gonna get a dry puff of dust, but no blood.

So definetly excessive. :)

kristus said:

I enjoyed it when Legacy first added wall decals. But that's about as far as extra gore I ever give a shit about.

Agreed. I don't find excessive gore to really enhance the experience once you get past how silly it is.

Belial said:

When I want oldschool gore I play ROTT, not Doom.

/EKG mode ON.

Adrian Carmack's masterpieces must not be meddled with.

Indeed. Well put. :)

Spleen said:

make sure it doesn't make everything else look bland by comparison. This is an issue with using high-res texture replacements, for instance.

No. That's not the issue, it really isn't. The issue is taking out the solid art direction out of Doom and replacing it with resources that pale in comparison to the originals as well as making it so obvious to see that Doom's engine is blocky. As well as making it inconsistent and messy. But I digress.

I tried to make a more realistic blood effect for SMWGuns. When a blood splat occurs, 1, 2, or 3 half size versions of doom's blood sprite shoot out in different directions, but not too far, not just straight up like nashgore. This seems like entry/exit wounds I guess, as opposed to vanilla Doom "squashed tomato" that just drops to the floor.

With the small size of these sprites and their short life, as well as not leaving blood residue laying around on the floors, I guess this method is realistic, maybe minimal. I could try to add smaller blood decals for when this flying blood hits walls.

Call me sadistic, but I find that gore, when it's done right, makes shooting demons more satisifying. Makes it seem like my shots are really doing something. ;]

kristus said:

Same here.

EvilNed said:

Well... realistic gore would be no gore. Shooting a zombie would get you nowhere. His circulatory system has stopped working. You're gonna get a dry puff of dust, but no blood.

Just because the pistol guy is called "zombieman" doesn't mean he's that specific imagining of a zombie. He's a zombie more because he's possessed by Hell and doesn't have a mind of his own. These bloodless zombies you speak of obviously don't exist in DooM because they already bleed.

That said, I agree with you - go excessive.

EvilNed said:

I always thought of them bieng possesed humans. Zombie is just a term. If they were real zombies in any aspect, they would pump you full of lead. They would more claw at you then eat you. So Possesed Humans I think would hve blood.

Other wise, for extra gore, one of the JDoom addons or the Legacy blood would be enough for me.

EDIT: I should learn to read the whole thread before responding, as it might be so someone has already pointed ouy what you just said (Above me... whoops)

It would depend on how they are hurt / killed. A pistol shouldn't cause too much blood to fly out, but if they get gibbed, then perhaps a good amount of blood should be splattered. So in between realistic and excessive, maybe?

I think what's depicted in the screenshot should be fair enough for humanoid shaped monsters, but more for the bigger monsters (Knight and above). Obviously gibbing the smaller monsters should give a bit of a spray in few directions but not excessive.

I support this idea but only if it doesn't mess around with the weapons (Perkristan's animation smoothing mod for the weapons)

If you are going to make a gib mod, do what you want to do. Make it as bloody and as unrealistic as you want. Ludicrous gibs! Foo to everyone else who bitches about 'realistic gore.'

You should make the Barons/Knights bleed dark green and the Cacodemons bleed blue as it matches the same blood when they die. (And the little DECORATE addon I have that makes them bleed those colors, same with the Skulltag critters)

Suggestion: Use megaupload.com or mediafire.com for file hosting as they are faster than ZShare. Mediafire is the better of the two because they do not have obnoxious pop-unders when the download starts.

This isn't finished yet, so I will be making more changes. The monsters bleed Red in Doom, so I'll be leaving them that way. When the final product is done, you can change the colors if you'd like.

Clonehunter said:

I always thought of them bieng possesed humans. Zombie is just a term. If they were real zombies in any aspect, they would pump you full of lead. They would more claw at you then eat you. So Possesed Humans I think would hve blood.

Other wise, for extra gore, one of the JDoom addons or the Legacy blood would be enough for me.

EDIT: I should learn to read the whole thread before responding, as it might be so someone has already pointed ouy what you just said (Above me... whoops)

In order to qualify as a zombie, a person needs to be dead and then re-animated as WELL as being mindless. Clawing and scratching doesn't really have anything to do with it.

But you could of course be right on the other account. They might just be possessed. I guess I just always saw them as zombies. :p

Well, the manuals call them "Former Human", "Former Human Sargeant" and "Former Commando". The game code internally refers to them as as "Possessed", "Shotguy" and "Chainguy". Finally the Doom2 ending cast calls them "Zombieman", "Shotgun Guy" and "Heavy Weapon Dude".

I think most people would name them after the Doom2 ending cast, simply because most people probably don't read (or may have lost) the manuals and even less would go digging in the code (or Decorate, Ded etc, which also use the names from the code).

It doesn't work in Skulltag..it tells me the THROUGHACTORS flag is unknown.