Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SoulIntake

Chocolate Doom Win7 Problems- Help!

Installed the latest version on Win7 for my Doom's collector's edition, as shown in the instructions.

First... Chocolate Doom won't save any of my configuration settings in the chocolate-setup. It works fine when I hit "T" to test settings, but as soon as I save and launch or close and save, it all reverts back to default, keys, display... everything.

2nd... Reverting back to default uses directx which looks like all these neon colors and crap on my screen. Completely horrible. Win GDI setting works fine... but seeing that I can't save the settings... I'll never know how the game is except that one level it uses to test settings.

2 gigs of rams, 7600 GT Nvidia card, latest audio and vid drivers. Dual core intel.

I think apps cannot save their settings just anywhere in Vista/Win7, not even in their own directory if it's not in Programs or something. Where are you running it from?

Try running it from the command line from a directory where the configuration files can be saved.

Hmm. This is interesting. I am running it from the default installation folder of the CE... C:/Program Files/DOOM Collector's Edition... and then the games folder.

@ fraggle: I'm not sure what you mean... sorry

I think they mean that Windows Vista/7 now restrict programs from modifying files in the "C:\Program Files\" and sub folders. Try moving your DOOM Collector's Edition folder to C:\DOOM Collector's Edition.

And/or right click your DOOM Collector's Edition folder and select Properties and clear the Read Only box if it is set and click ok.

myk said:

Perhaps the (right-click) option to run a program as admin is what you need.

Yeah, heh. I think only ReMooD is able to save config in proper place :)

HackNeyed said:

I think they mean that Windows Vista/7 now restrict programs from modifying files in the "C:\Program Files\" and sub folders. Try moving your DOOM Collector's Edition folder to C:\DOOM Collector's Edition.

And/or right click your DOOM Collector's Edition folder and select Properties and clear the Read Only box if it is set and click ok.

You have to go through the Security tab as well.

If you do not see "Authenticated Users" listed, add it to the list (click on the button and follow from there). Once there is "Authenticated Users" in the list of users and usergroups, give it the following rights: modification, read and execute, display folder content, read access, write access. Click OK.

Now your applications should be able to access that folder without having to be elevated to admin; and they still won't be able to compromise any other part of the system.

A simpler alternative is to just install your games outside of C:\Program Files.

Gez said:

A simpler alternative is to just install your games outside of C:\Program Files.

I put my Doom stuff in C:\Users\Quasar\OldGames

Yeah your own user folder (or the shared one) is the best place to stick old software that isn't going to play nice with the current version of Windows. Microsoft expects that software run on Windows Vista and 7 play by some fairly specific rules, rules that Doom ports don't necessarily follow, or need to. You can modify folder permissions and whatnot to stick Doom in Program Files, but it's hardly worth it really.

i knew this tread is a bit old, but you can try to make BAT file with these parameters:

taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
yourapplication.exe
Start explorer.exe

It's obvious that "yourapplication.exe" i executable of the game or application you want to run with it, what this thing do?
Basically it shuts down Explorer.exe, launches your application and when you quit it, it starts explorer.exe again, with this method you wont see anymore of this neon colors in chocolate doom on Direct X, also this method works on game like Age of Empires, Submarine Titans, Starcraft (though latest patch fixes this) and so on and so on

I just keep copies of default.cfg and chocolate-doom.cfg in all my doom directories. Loading a wad from different locations will make a new cfg in that location. With so many cfg's, I can run choco from any directory without going back to default.

Catoptromancy said:

I just keep copies of default.cfg and chocolate-doom.cfg in all my doom directories. Loading a wad from different locations will make a new cfg in that location. With so many cfg's, I can run choco from any directory without going back to default.

Reminds me of those people that put all of their DOS games in a directory names "games". And when I mean "a" directory, I mean exactly one directory, so they didn't have to worry about subdirectories.

Then sooner or later they called me because some of their games ceased to work....

You can either:

1. Allow you to write in "Program Files/DOOM Collector's Edition".

2. Use Chocolate Doom elsewhere with another working directory so settings are placed there.

3. Tell fraggle to use the user's local/remote application data if he has not done so already (Microsoft said so since 2001 anyway, when XP was released). If he has already, use that version.

4. Don't use it, or use another port.

5. Run it as an administrator (not recommended unless you 100% trust the program).