Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
E.J.

PrBoom Timidity config?

I seem to be having difficulties getting midi playback in PrBoom. I hear the sound effects, but what I need is the BGM. I can't get it to work in either Windows, or Linux.

Could someone post a step-by-step method for istalling Timidity, and configuring PrBoom to use it?

In Windows you don't even need to install Timidity, just have a valid configuration file in C:\Timidity. The one that comes with EAWPats will work, just extract the files somewhere, stick timidity.cfg in C:\Timidity and edit the dir fields to point to the correct location where you extracted the other files. Make sure the path doesn't have any spaces.

Thanks for the links. ;-)

I got it working in Windows.

Two more questions though.

1.) Anyone have experience setting up Prboom in Linux, with the patches for BGM? I'm trying to put together a smaller, portable, Linux live cd, with an pre-installed Doom port. Updatable, portable, and playable on almost any PC.

2.) Is there a limit on the size of the patches used, for instance below 10MB, or above 50MB?

Here are a handful of other soundfonts that could be used as well: http://www3.telus.net/anapan8/oldscardemu.htm

Nice collection of soundfonts there. :d

Is anyone here familiar with Linux, and the Doom ports to it?

I dropped the timidity config file into the '.prboom' folder, the executables folder, and even the folder where prboom installs the 'prboom.wad'. I'm not getting any results...

E.J. said:
I dropped the timidity config file into the '.prboom' folder, the executables folder, and even the folder where prboom installs the 'prboom.wad'. I'm not getting any results...

Try saving it as .timidity.cfg in your home directory. If that doesn't work, try /etc/timidity.cfg or /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg