Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Running Legacy in a Window

I've hooked my laptop up to my TV and I want to run Legacy on it - purely for the split-screen multiplayer feature.

Problem is, I can only get my TV to work as a secondary monitor. Meaning Legacy always loads on my laptop but not my TV. I got around this in ZDoom by setting Full Screen = No, then dragging it accross. But this doesn't work in Legacy (the equivalent setting doesn't seem to do anything).

It's beyond my bedtime so I might have missed something obvious. Can anyone help?

Don't know about Legacy in a window, but I can tell you that you can change which screen it shows on by changing your default monitor in your system display settings.

Yeah, I tried that. On my Windows XP display settings it's 'set as primary monitor'. As soon as I select this my TV switches off. For some reason it only works as a secondary monitor.

I did try that but the screen didn't change. Even after quitting and launching it again it saved the setting but still runs in full screen. I'll try it again when I'm at home.

I've tried again and still no joy. It just runs fullscreen regardless of changing the setting. Could it be the version? I'm using 1.42.

Failing that is there any other setting that needs to be changed - video setting etc??

Just in case anyone searches this thread in the future I found out why Legacy wouldn't run in a window. You have to switch to OpenGL or MiniGL before toggling Full Screen to 'No' in the video options, then restart. My problem was it only allows full screen in Software mode.

Not that it turned out useful anyway as you can't move the damn window. It just stubbornly moves back to the top left of your screen or where ever it started!

If anyone can do the following it would be make my Co-op dreams come true and be very much appreciated:

1. Tell me how I can move the window so I can put it on a secondary monitor.

2. Tell me how to run my TV as mirror to my primary monitor (or temporarily as my primary monitor) without it swiching itself off in a sulk!

3. Tell me how to run Legacy in a secondary monitor instead of defaulting to the primary one.

4. Make a split-screen function in ZDoom.

purist said:

4. Make a split-screen function in ZDoom.

That will never happen. Each thread in the ZDoom forum about this subject matter was dumped upon sight.

Graf Zahl said:

That will never happen. Each thread in the ZDoom forum about this subject matter was dumped upon sight.

I'd rather open two copies of zdoom and have them play in the same game. Only issue is controlling the one that is out of focus. I wonder if maybe the joystick support could be modified to allow that.

Well I downloaded Legacy for no other reason than it has split-screen and my usual source-port of choice is ZDoom so I'd have thought there must be some other interest. Maybe I'm a "niche market".

No matter anyway, I've learnt how to clone monitors (2) so the original issue is resolved.

The thing is not that you are a niche market but that splitscreen support requires extensive changes in the engine. It's just not worth the time.

Splitscreen support is currently in the works for Doomsday and will feature in the 1.9.0-Beta7 release along with fixed multiplayer and demo support.

Splitscreen works in Legacy but it requires source code changes. There's a bug where fullscreen is set to true regardless of what option is set.