Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kinsie

Well of Well-Wishes

I have never even been on the twitter site, let alone have an account on there. Anyhow get well soon Tom.

He seems to be in good spirit from what I can tell by his posts on Twitter. Get well soon, Tom.

When I was reading The Master's of Doom, I always felt as though Tom Hall was the most misunderstood character. It seemed like nobody could understand him except for John Romero (which IMO makes John Romero a hero)

Especially the way it was depicted in Masters of Doom: The Animated Series, it's like Tom Hall was always in his little world and had all these brilliant ideas for quirky storylines and always pictured the future of video games to be very colorful and inviting, and when Doom and Quake were in the making he kind of got shunned out of the group.

He's really a brilliant man and I'm really worried about how the world is beginning to lack in people like him.

EDIT: Although I hate to admit I am a hypocrite being as though I've never even played Commander Keen, and am absolutely in love with Doom and Quake 1.

All the best to Tom and I hope he pulls through this with out any serious repercussions.

Wow, good to hear he's keeping a positive attitude through this thing. That is what matters most.

See also: http://tomtomtom.wordpress.com/toms-games/

(OT: I really should finish RoTT sometime, instead of playing the first few levels and going "oo, I wish I had this in 1995".)

40oz said:
Especially the way it was depicted in Masters of Doom: The Animated Series, it's like Tom Hall was always in his little world and had all these brilliant ideas for quirky storylines and always pictured the future of video games to be very colorful and inviting, and when Doom and Quake were in the making he kind of got shunned out of the group.

He did end up saving everyone once they got teleported to Hell, though :-) I hope he makes a full recovery...

CODOR said:

(OT: I really should finish RoTT sometime, instead of playing the first few levels and going "oo, I wish I had this in 1995".)

It was just as one sided and boring then.

Wow, Tom is hilarious! "I cut my steak with RIGHT HAND! Ecstatic, I celebrated by cutting the cheese"

Best of wishes Tom, keep it up!

40oz said:

He's really a brilliant man and I'm really worried about how the world is beginning to lack in people like him.

EDIT: Although I hate to admit I am a hypocrite being as though I've never even played Commander Keen, and am absolutely in love with Doom and Quake 1.

I really think his influence was critically important in making Doom what it was.
Although his ideas were largely ignored, they did leave enough of a mark to make a difference (his ideas must have triggered some of the more creative thoughts in the rest of the team), and considering how damned conservative id software has been in their game design since, I have come to really regret that Tom Hall and Romero aren't part of id any more in order to apply fresh new ideas to the otherwise excellent polish :/

I played Commander Keen Episode 4 for the first time back in the late 90s. It's graphics were horribly dated already then (EGA graphics means there are only very few, rather ugly, colours), but I remember being awestruck at how damned good the gameplay was. It didn't mean a hoot to me if the game world and story was cheesy and lighthearted, because the gameplay was excellent.
A good example of how a game does not need a truckload of different weapons to be enjoyable.