Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jplstatic

Music Software

I was wanting to get back into music editing, but I was wondering what software programs others use to perform the music.

In college I used Orion Platinum to paint the notes and acid to put the songs together. At one point I had a digizine with trent reznor on the cover to see what all he used but I think I have lost it. I'm in the process of cleaning my room for the first time in years though. Anyone have any input? I want to make music that sounds like the first quake soundtrack

ugh... all a frail attempt to not have to buy an midi keyboard again. i downloaded reaper but i think i need one to use it. its alright i'll get around to it, i want to make doom music and its better to have midi then mp3 anyway when you're going that route.

esselfortium said:

Reason. It's been my tool of choice since 2003 and nothing else I've used even comes close.

I want to upgrade to this program so badly. Unfortunately the evaluation version I downloaded was so restrictive I couldn't even get a first impression. :(

zephyr said:

ugh... all a frail attempt to not have to buy an midi keyboard again. i downloaded reaper but i think i need one to use it. its alright i'll get around to it, i want to make doom music and its better to have midi then mp3 anyway when you're going that route.

It helps, but isn't required. I've finished an entire song using it without ever touching a keyboard.

Also, if you need a soft synth, maybe look at Synth1. It's supposed to be similar to a Nord Lead 2, which I guess it is in how you program and work with it, but it still sounds different from my real Nord Rack 2X. Windows-only, btw.

If you need any help with Reaper, give me a PM.

I need to get Reason some day. I can't afford it, though. Also, I can never find any torrents or anything that actually work.

if i had to narrow it down to what i have in mind, what i'm looking for is a wysiwyg program where you paint notes on a spreadsheet such as orion but will output as midi so that i could use it in doom.

Fruity Loops is probably sneered upon as nooby by most music professionals but that doesn't mean it's bad for beginners. You could give the demo a try. What you have in mind sounds like its "piano roll" interface.

yes, that was the phrase i was looking for. and lets face it i've been making music since i was 3 but i'll always be a nooby to an extent

Yeah, Fruity Loops is pretty awesome insofar as user friendliness. It's not just for beginners, though. Julian has made some amazing music with it.

I'm interested in hearing some creations from doomworld. Where can I find some of this music? What Mods, Websites, etc?

Jimmy91 said:

I want to upgrade to this program so badly. Unfortunately the evaluation version I downloaded was so restrictive I couldn't even get a first impression. :(

The demo is pretty limited, but I dunno, it was more than enough for me to decide I needed to buy it.

jplstatic said:

I'm interested in hearing some creations from doomworld. Where can I find some of this music? What Mods, Websites, etc?

I don't do too much for games anymore, but ODM, which is in /newstuff right now, has some of my older music in it. You could also check here for an example of something more recent, though my style has been changing quite a bit since that was released.

jplstatic said:

Well, my strife map's soundtrack was created mostly using soft synths (Reason 4) and samples. I don't have much hardware, only a KORG Kaossilator and an AKAI MPK-49 as my midi controller as well as some random instruments. Musicians are poor folk. :/

I like how I changed what I wanted halfway through the post. First I wanted to make quake music then I wanted to make midi music. I guess if there are still going to be replies to this post I'm going to stick with quake sounding music. MP3s are still small and most people have high speed these days. It's kind of iffy though because doom is such an old game and we're in a nastalgia era, so its hard to say whether people have gotten high speed connections or they're resorting to doom because of its lofiness. Whenever I started making soundtracks for doom I started with MP3 right off. I liked the sound I got but still like I said am looking to make quake sounding soundtracks. I'm interested mainly in plugins that make neat sounds, that even trent reznor would be jealous of. That's probably going to be a hard hunt to make seeing as how whenever I looked in his digizine every page had a different software demo to try that he has used.

I use Pro Tools for recording and Logic for mixing. Logic's features are almost bewildering at times. Reason is also a kick ass program for straight midi.

D_GARG said:

I use FL studio 7

but i never manage to produce any music at all

:(

Same here. Last time I actually finished any music was at least 5 years ago.

Danarchy said:

Same here. Last time I actually finished any music was at least 5 years ago.

instead of making music, i build maps, i have a friend who makes alot of music so i ask him to come up with something doomish so he get credits once i have a project done :)