Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaturalTvventy

Making a fence in zdoom

Hey, I want to make a fence that obviously the player can't get by, but that can be shot through and monsters can fly over. I'm thinking the only way to do it is to make a non-sprited thing with the height of the fence. is there a better way?

also, how do i make it so projectiles can pass through things in ZDoom, like they did in the original Doom? and can I set this as a default on a map, or does each player get to select it in his/her settings?

thanks,

NT

NaturalTvventy said:

make it so projectiles can pass through things in ZDoom, like they did in the original Doom? and can I set this as a default on a map, or does each player get to select it in his/her settings?

thanks,

NT

In the MAINFO lump for your map, use this compatibility option:
compat_missileclip

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Compatibility_options

uhm the closest thing I see there is the strife railing, but that's only 32 pixels high, and i'd like to be able to customize the height.

if i do just flying things can pass it, they'd pass through the texture if they were low enough, which would look bad.

NT

If you use 3D midtextures then the height is equal to the height of the texture (adjusted by Y offset).

Unfortunately, the 3D mid textures method doesn't work quite like a normal mid texture: hitscan attacks pass through but projectiles get blocked.

What I'd do is make a Middle texture, and place Bridge Pieces all throughout it. You can't walk through them but you can shoot through them, and go over them.

That's the hackish method of 3D midtextures and no longer recommended.

As for collision detection, yes, they block projectiles. But there's no method right now that allows for blocking a line for non-projectiles only

NaturalTvventy: You could use a 3D floor and surround it with midtextures. I think 3d floors have the same physics in both ZDoom and GZDoom, but they just appear invisible in ZDoom. So the midtextures would cover the visuals of the fence, and the 3D floors would cover the physics.

Spleen said:

I think 3d floors have the same physics in both ZDoom and GZDoom, but they just appear invisible in ZDoom.

The code is still #ifdef'ed out, so they do not have physics unless you build yourself a custom exe.

Gez said:

The code is still #ifdef'ed out, so they do not have physics unless you build yourself a custom exe.

Ah, my bad. That means you'll probably only get the effect when playing GZDoom or Skulltag with a software renderer, as I understand.

Do you know why the decision was made not to allow invisible 3D floors in ZDoom?

The lighting code for 3D floors is not working in the software renderer so activating it might cause problems later because mappers might use it incorrectly.

Still, why all these hackish suggestions? 3D Midtextures sound precisely like what's needed here and still less functional suggestions are made...

Graf Zahl said:

The lighting code for 3D floors is not working in the software renderer so activating it might cause problems later because mappers might use it incorrectly.

Ah, thanks for info!

Graf Zahl said:

Still, why all these hackish suggestions? 3D Midtextures sound precisely like what's needed here and still less functional suggestions are made...

Hey, they don't block hitscan attacks. :P

OK, so where can I learn how to make 3D midtextures? What are they? i tried zdoom wiki and didn't really get much. is it a function of a line that gives me my general desired effect? Just to be clear here, what I want is a line with a fence-like midtexture (which I have) which blocks players and monsters at the texture, can be shot through, and can be passed through above the desired height of the fence.

Thx,

NT

All you need to do is to set the respective flag. In UDMF and Doom map format it can be done directly but for Hexen map format you need to use the Line_SetIdentification (#121) line special because it's an extended flag. So set the line special to 121 and the second arg to 32 and you are done.

Graf Zahl said:

That's the hackish method of 3D midtextures and no longer recommended.

As for collision detection, yes, they block projectiles. But there's no method right now that allows for blocking a line for non-projectiles only

What about enabling the ZDoom compatibility option of making solid decoration act as in Doom (only 16 tall and lets projectiles -- not people -- pass), and using such decoration in lieu of 3d bridges to do that hacky method?

You can do that without the compatibility option. But it'd only work well for perfectly orthogonal lines. Any diagonal fence created with that method would suffer from the actors' squareness.