Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Text Adventure Speedruns

Hah! I bet you can't beat the speed of a text adventure running under DOS/Unix and a text file with the proper commands, using input redirection. That would really be as fast as possible ;-)

Maes said:

Hah! I bet you can't beat the speed of a text adventure running under DOS/Unix and a text file with the proper commands, using input redirection. That would really be as fast as possible ;-)

Wouldn't that be TAS, though? :P

esselfortium said:

Wouldn't that be TAS, though? :P

Ur t3h 1337 h4xx0r, d00d.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

What on earth is that?

Someone converted Hitchhiker's Guide to have a GUI and graphics?

I play my interactive fiction with Windows Frotz :P

i dont know, I searched for text adventure speedruns and this was the only thing I could find. I'd like to see some more though.

Hahaha, that is awesome. I don't think IF nuts are into speedruns, they are a strange bunch who seem to consider themselves to be really obscure authors and commend each other on writing the strangest things. A community even more closed and internalised than Doom's :P

Chex Warrior said:

Wow, now someone has to try that with Zork.

Actually someone already did.

Philnemba said:

Actually someone already did.

lol

That's impressive. I've never played all the way through any text adventures before. In fact, as a kid I never had the patience to get past the early parts. I kinda have interest in making my own text adventure speedrun. How hard can it be? I'd assume it's nothing more than getting the game, searching for a 'strategy guide' or 'walkthrough' of the game, and making a list of every action you have to type, and simply typing it as fast as humanly possible.

40oz said:

making a list of every action you have to type, and simply typing it as fast as humanly possible.

Well yeah, that, as well as just pipelining an external text file as input would work as long as there weren't any time-dependant actions in the game -some had timed events, compulsory waiting, or precise timing requirements at some points, so you'd have to know and account for those too, else a pipelined/redirected input can probably finish the game in a few seconds ;-)

Maes said:

else a pipelined/redirected input can probably finish the game in a few seconds ;-)

TAS. :P