Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
the_lurker

ZDoom arch-vile behavior

I have made it such that when enemies die, they spawn a corpse which can be shot, the idea being that you can destroy them so that an arch vile cannot resurrect them. However, arch-viles will not resurrect the corpse actors (for obvious reasons.)

Is there a way to make arch viles raise the actor and 'delete' the corpse actor? By the same token, is it possible to make the corpse actor 'delete' the dead monster that spawned it?

An arch-vile will target for resurrection something that fits the following conditions:

1. Has the CORPSES flag. This is given automatically by the engine to dead monsters, but you can force it.
2. Is currently in a state with a -1 duration. This forces the archvile to wait until a monster has finished its death sequence before it starts reviving it.
3. Has a Raise state available. Otherwise, the archvile will not have any state in which to put the actor.
4. Is not derived from PlayerPawn.

With that knowledge, you can make actors that will be "activated" by archviles. :)

Being that I can't test this right now, is it possible to have something with both the 'corpse' and 'shootable' flag?

the_lurker said:

Being that I can't test this right now, is it possible to have something with both the 'corpse' and 'shootable' flag?

Of course. You can have something with all the flags at once. It won't really make much sense, but it's possible.

the_lurker said:

Is it possible to have an actor enter the crush state and not be dead?

Not really. To be crushed, an actor needs the following conditions:
* CORPSE flag set
* DONTGIB flag not set
* ICECORPSE flag not set either
* Health lesser than or equal to zero