Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Solarn

Speedmapping session -ENDED-

Yeah, a question in the Doom Editing board about speedmapping got me thinking how awesome speedmapping is. So I'm starting a session now. Whoever joins should create a map in or under 1 hour 90 minutes. With such a short time, the focus should of course be on gameplay rather than detail, although ideally the maps should be fully textured. Whether a bunch of people join or none at all, the goal is to have fun and push our limits mapping. The time where I am is 10:10 PM (Central European Time, which is 9:10 PM GST) and the session will end the same time tomorrow.

As for me, I'm starting work on a map immediately. I'll edit this post with a link when it's ready. FAILED.

Oh, also, the maps should be for Doom 2, as I'd like to collect them in one WAD when the session is done and if everyone agrees.

EDIT: Also forgot, the maps should be Boom-compatible as it seems to be pretty much the standard. You can make vanilla-compatible maps if you want, but please no advanced port-specific shenanigans.

SECOND EDIT: Yeah, I pretty much failed. Only about 25% of my map is done and there are only four minutes left of the hour I gave myself. I suck at anything involving speed.

Last speedmapping session gave 90 minutes a map, which wouldn't help your map much, but would be better for the next. I think I'll contribute something to this ...

E: adding a theme might be nice too, just to give some direction.

I was thinking about contributing for this and started having an idea but now I'm thinking that idea is pretty cool and I want to take longer and use it in my own megawad, heh.

I might make something else still tomorrow, we'll see.

I don't know. 90 minutes does sound better than one hour, but I can't think of any theme that would be good.

After 90 minutes, my map still wasn't finished. But it's one of my more interesting and creative efforts.

I've started trying to do it in one hour, but in the end it took me 2 hours and 32 minutes.

Result here.

Edit: fun map, AB.

Cool map phml, have a fda. Really liked that cyber fight in the nukage, had to choose whether to stay un-nuked or get hit with splash (obviously decided nukage wasn't as bad as rocket splash ;P).

Both maps are awesome. To close the session, I'll be attempting a map again. I hope I'll manage it this time.
EDIT: Map complete just within the time limit. Here it is.

And with this, this speedmapping session is closed. It was really fun for me and I hope for you too. In the end, all three maps turned out to be slaughter maps, which is as good a theme as any, I guess.

Had a blast recording on your map, Solarn. I thought the final fight was completely impossible for a while, but it's just very hard. Nice !

Phml said:

Had a blast recording on your map, Solarn. I thought the final fight was completely impossible for a while, but it's just very hard. Nice !

Thank you. I completed it once before posting it to make sure it was doable. I was inspired a bit by Sunder, can you tell?

To be honest, I'm a bit unsatisfied with the part after the blue key. If I had more time, I would have done it differently, opened up the area a little more, because right now, the room behind the blue door is a safe spot for massacring enemies.

Great maps guys, I thought about joining but I doubt I could make a . decent map within such a short time. Although, I think the last room in Solarn's map is a bit overkill... is that part even beatable?

There's two different ways to beat the fight that I've found. One is to stand behind the column so nothing notices you and safely exit, the other is to stay as close as possible to the monsters so they don't move too much while killing them, until there's enough dead to let you get to the BFG.

Phml said:

There's two different ways to beat the fight that I've found. One is to stand behind the column so nothing notices you and safely exit, the other is to stay as close as possible to the monsters so they don't move too much while killing them, until there's enough dead to let you get to the BFG.

Damn. I thought I made it impossible to hide behind the pillar.

So ... who wants to merge the wads and post to /incoming? dunno which dwspd this is going to be, probably 8 or 9 I think.

Also if anyone wants to hold another spur-of-the-moment session I'd suggest giving 2 days vs. one, as not everyone who's interested will notice it until they have very little time left to do anything (like the last 2 speedmidi sessions, although if I did contribute to those it'd suck).

Someone else should merge the maps, I suck horribly at anything other than mapping and would probably mess it up.

Here's my result. But it didn't take me an hour. I spent a fair amount of time tweaking it afterwards.

aptly named The Pit and replacing map09.

Readme:
MAP09
Single Player only
Objective: Stay out of the pit. Find the exit.

From what it seems, usually if you start a thing without any notice at all will produce bad results and will only catch on the people who actually notice it. By the time others come into play, they were interested but stopped being interesting since it already ended.

Yer. I propose another speedmapping session next weekend lasting all weekend, with an actual theme and 100 minute timelimit (realized it was 100 not 90 when reading Superjamie's txt on the last dwspd -.-). Opinions on formats to use, theme, or style of gameplay?

ArmouredBlood said:

Yer. I propose another speedmapping session next weekend lasting all weekend, with an actual theme and 100 minute timelimit (realized it was 100 not 90 when reading Superjamie's txt on the last dwspd -.-). Opinions on formats to use, theme, or style of gameplay?

I didn't expect to have my map included--so no worries.
100 minutes is MUCH better than 60.
for my part, I'd like to see maps with small sector/room sizes akin to the sizes of them in Doom 1. Map styles that come to mind are E3M3, E2M7 and espi's Alley Cat

ArmouredBlood said:

Uploaded phil's compilation to /incoming. Hellbent, your wad wasn't in there, although you did post pretty late =/

Thank you. I forgot about it due to studying.

ArmouredBlood said:

Opinions on formats to use, theme, or style of gameplay?

I have yet to see anybody do a Wolfenstein theme maps in a speedmapping session. Grant it not many people use the wolf3d textures in Doom2 that much due to them not fitting in Doom2 well, but certain good Wolf3d style maps like 1Monster Map31, WOS Map32 and NDCP Map32 are good examples.

Hi everyone, I've just started mapping and I can't believe that people can make whole maps in just 90 minutes, I can barely make a room with a square thing in the middle in that time lol! Ah well maybe one day eh?

Once you really get the hang of how the doom map editors work and get accustomed to what the Doom Engine is capable of, you'd be surprised of the kinda stuff you bump out in just one hour. For example, I've been mapping for several years and I had been playing doom since 1993 when it was released, and in about an hour and a half's time I made this map for Mr. Chris' birthday as a result.

http://jbserver.com/forums/attachments/8342_happybirthdaymrchris.zip

Thank you mate, I'm going to try that wad of yours :)

EDIT: Thanks for giving me nightmares! The difficulty level was a bit beyond me but I had a real blast playing it -- I should have recorded it, I was running out of ammo so I charged straight through the level, not realising there was a horde waiting round the corner - I ran straight through them then all the way to the starting room in a blind panic and I didn't get hit once haha!

So it is possible to build a tense and difficult map without spending eight weeks swearing at Doom Builder!!

40oz said:

I liked the map up until the point the revenants came.

EDIT: I got passed the revenants and the mancs and had fun pinning a cacodemon against the shelf of revenants with my chaingun--that wasn't a very happy cacodemon. I was relieved it was only a spidermastermind behind the door after getting the plasma gun and not a cyberdemon. I then saw the two cybs and died when i got on the wrong keys (my d key is not working right so i had to remap my keys :(