Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How much does height variation matter to you while you are playing maps?

I was not really sure where this kind of thread belongs since so I decided to post it here.

While playing other people's WADS, how much does height variation matter to you?

Personally, I think a map with too much height variation can be annoying while a map with next to no height variation is boring. However, I still think maps with little height variation can be fun when pulled of correctly just so long as there is at least some height variation here and there.

I for one find E3M4 from Ultimate Doom (house of pain) a good example of a fun map with little height variation (it still has it, but it isn't all over the place and the player rarely travels to allot of places of different heights).

Discuss.

Height variation can make for great scenes and layout interconnectivity if used well.

Just having a bunch of separate rooms at different heights connected by stairs isn't going to be much more interesting than a totally flat map, but if the different heights are connected more directly, like a higher walkway adjacent to a tall room, or an upper room with windows overlooking a lower one that the player will access a few minutes later, all sorts of setups can be created for more interesting gameplay and more immersive layouts.

omegamer said:

Yes, House of Pain has perfect heigh variation.

I dunno, with House of Pain, I always feel the urge to jump around.

I'll get my coat. :/

esselfortium said:

Height variation can make for great scenes and layout interconnectivity if used well.

Just having a bunch of separate rooms at different heights connected by stairs isn't going to be much more interesting than a totally flat map, but if the different heights are connected more directly, like a higher walkway adjacent to a tall room, or an upper room with windows overlooking a lower one that the player will access a few minutes later, all sorts of setups can be created for more interesting gameplay and more immersive layouts.

I know, Its just that if their is like loads of height variation in each and every room then the map layout can be become to confusing for my taste. But then again I have always liked straight forward maps more then open ended ones.

Height variation is what makes Doom Episode 4 different from Episode 3 (and maybe 2). If you design a GSTONE map, you have to make it flat if you want to pay homage to any of original E3M5, E3M7 and maybe E3M4. Otherwise it will look too modern therefore E4M1/E4M5/E4M6-like.

Lack of height variation doesn't kill the map for me. In fact, I don't even notice that a map is too flat, as I'm too busy fighting monsters, and it's actually convenient for me that everything is at my level, and not a vertical maze, with pits and balconies. I do like flying monster vents in the ceiling, though.

mine always seem to have too much or not enough. Therefore i cant stand it.

esselfortium said:

Pretty much my thoughts on the topic. Height variations can have a great impact on how you fight a monster, as well. Perhaps it's most noticeable against the revenants and arch-viles as you can lead the rockets into the ledge they/you are on, or in the case of the archie, the ability to hug the ledge and avoid any potential attack. It's great for creating unique fights.

Also, whenever I see a ledge, it sort of makes me wonder, "Hm... wonder how I'll get over there." So when I do accomplish this, it makes the journey feel like it has been far more complex and memorable.