Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Viewtiful-Chris

Is TF2 really that good?

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Oh thank god. For a moment I thought my contributions to this community were totally unwanted.

Damn. So close.

Viewtiful-Chris, okay, I still don't think there's much that can be explained if you've never played the game. For instance, there's your failure to understand the importance of the art direction. You have 9 different classes in the game. Each class plays very differently, and each has different strengths and weaknesses against different classes. Split second decisions about what strategy to use are crucial in playing the game effectively.

I suppose that right there is something that separates it from Doom. Because you have so many classes that play so differently, strategy plays a much larger role in the game. Sure, you need skill to be good at Doom, but with Doom, you're primarily relying on your trigger reflexes - in TF2, the gameplay is much more strongly centered on coordinating attacks, working together, etc. Very basic example - the pyro's flamethrower has a limited range - thus, a good gameplay style to adopt would be to try to get the drop on players rather than a frontal assault - hiding behind corners and such.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Oh thank god. For a moment I thought my contributions to this community were totally unwanted.

You know what? Don't play TF2. The game's got enough douchebags playing as it is.

I'm just stopping by to say that I don't know how to say anything that could be said that would answer any one of your questions, as well as not knowing anyone in the world who would be able to help you to understand the things you want to know about TF2.

How about you go ahead and explain some background? Shoot us some games you've liked (we know you like doom) and some games you don't like. If TF2 doesn't sound like something you'd like, then why is this discussion going on any longer? There's an outrageous number video games that are worth playing.

For example, for the longest time I thought Doom was the only game for me. A couple years ago I began to really enjoy playing Contra. Not long ago I found a newfound love for the Streets of Rage series. I'm not sure how I can compare them to doom (at least not streets of rage) but I certainly do love them.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Of course I am, I'm just more interested in more significant aspects of gameplay than how immediately recognizable the character models look.

That's like admiring the components of a standard FPS HUD. Who cares?

OK, let's start with the simple stuff. In TF2 you can look up and down, adding a whole new dimension (actually an axis) to game.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

I'm fairly certain that comparing DOOM (a first person shooter) to TF2 (a popular-at-the-moment newfangled FPS INSPIRED by Doom) is entirely unlike comparing a platformer to some whacko JRPG.

Err, I wouldn't say TF2 is "popular-at-the-moment" or "newfangled". The original Team Fortress was a Quake mod that came out in 97 or 98, then TFC was a Half-Life mod that came out around 2000. Gameplay-wise all three are very similar, though TF2 is by far the most balanced and fun version (IMH)). Both TF and TFC were widely played back in the day (especially TFC, since it came bundled with later versions of Half-Life), and rather popular. So really, the game has had popularity for over a decade now. It's a pretty big stretch to say it's just some new fad among games.

I also wouldn't say TF2 is at all inspired by Doom aside from the fact that Doom was one of the first FPSs in existance, and most other FPSs were inspired by it. As everyone else has said, gameplay is in no way similar. Doom is find the key, kill they baddies or straight deathmatch. Team Fortress is class-based goal-oriented multiplayer (except Arena, which is just team deathmatch with classes) where gameplay differs depending on what kind of map it is. However, the original Team Fortress mod WAS inspired by some Doom deathmatch wad called "Fortress", though the similarity really ends with the name.

Then again, I have no idea why I'm even responding since this thread is just a huge troll/TF2 bash-fest for you.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

No, I want to play something that ISN'T Doom for once

Then play something that isn't an "FPS" and to be quite honest a lot of other FPS games are nothing like Doom "other then the shot kill finish map thing". Calling every FPS out there to be like Doom is like saying every RPG is D&D and offers nothing new. not saying that you said that tough.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

I'm ASKING for someone to explain to me why TF2 is appealing in DOOM concepts, so I can actually understand why everyone's so wanked over this game.

And,

HOW?

Just please take Doom out of that and just say -is this game fun as an FPS?

going back to the original post.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Is there anything remarkable it offers that DOOM couldn't, or is it just a combination of hype, popularity, and zomg-graphics?

It has tons that "Vanilla Doom" couldn't offer. just take source ports out of this and you will know what I'm getting at.

To be honest, if you have any friends with this game then try it, there is only so much that people and reviews can tell you.

It could be the best selling game of all time, but in the end it means nothing if "you" think it's a peace of garbage.

*shrug* this is making my head spin, plus I've been at the pub today.

rip me a new ass-hole if you want, but this topic is ridiculasly silly at this point.