Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Viewtiful-Chris

The retail potential of DOOM as loosely compared to Starcraft: Battle Chest

DOOM is a game that should still be sold at retail outlets! And I imagine if promoted properly, it could still do well to this day.

If only id were as good a publisher as they were a developer.

Then again, Blizzard's publishing sensibilities (among other aspects of their trade) are somewhat evil.

Thoughts?

It would have to be re-bundled with something like a custom version of DOSBox or PRBoom, otherwise imagine the tech support nightmare. And the repackaging would be an investment in itself....

What about the Depths of Doom Trilogy, and Collector's Edition?

A new set that would include the actual Doom trilogy (though a fourth game will creep in) wouldn't be bad either.

I was thinking it would be neat if ID made Doom freeware, like Bungie did with Marathon, but Doom is still making them some money commercially.

And I think they ARE still releasing new versions of Classic Doom. IPhone Doom and Xbox live Doom 2, etc. People are still being introduced to the game, though I don't think it will ever really ICREASE in popularity again.

What's wrong with the starcraft battlechest again? I think I missed something here.

I think they should make a 20th anniversary retail edition including Ultimate Doom, DOOM II, Final DOOM, Master Levels, and an all-new episode by John Romero, who they can kidnap and lock in the id basement with a copy of DB2 for 3 months ;)

Quasar said:

I think they should make a 20th anniversary retail edition including Ultimate Doom, DOOM II, Final DOOM, Master Levels, and an all-new episode by John Romero, who they can kidnap and lock in the id basement with a copy of DB2 for 3 months ;)

Amen!!!

Thirded.

rf` said:

What's wrong with the starcraft battlechest again? I think I missed something here.

It's published by Blizzard - a name that's synonymous with EEEEVIL! ;-)

I am certain that bundle (Ultimate Doom, Doom2, Final Doom, Master Levels) could still be sold relatively well in retail outlets.

exp(x) said:

Finish puberty before you start posting again.

A lot of people seem to agree with me on this idea, so I don't see where you're coming off with that rather tasteless remark. :P

You can't and won't get it until a few years, but for many of us it's painfully obvious, as well as just painful.

exp(x) said:

Finish puberty before you start posting again.

Or at least finish jizzing all over your copy of Doom.

magicsofa said:

Or at least finish jizzing all over your copy of Doom.

Really?

You've made 370 pages worth of posts in a forum dedicated almost exclusively to this game, yet you criticize me for obsessing over it.

:P

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Really?

You've made 370 pages worth of posts in a forum dedicated almost exclusively to this game, yet you criticize me for obsessing over it.

I've had over 2000 posts on a forum for the Nintendo gamecube and I haven't even ever played it.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Really?

I've also been registered since 2003, so really I don't post that much. Anyway my point is that you're just bashing these other games and claiming doom is better. Not really an argument, just whining like you're twelve-teen.

I've also been registered since 2003, so really I don't post that much. Anyway my point is that you're just bashing these other games and claiming doom is better. Not really an argument, just whining like you're twelve-teen.

I'm not "bashing" Starcraft. It's a great game, I play it often.

I'm saying DOOM is as or more worthy of being sold on retail after a decade, quoting "Battle Chest" as the main example of this.

Actually, I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about. Did I bash TF2? Where? Did I say DOOM was better than TF2? Where?

EDIT: Also, I find it difficult to compose my arguments intelligently as I can HARDLY READ THE DAMN FONT in the posting window. God, this is archaic.

about as archaic as doom to the general public.

I dont see starcraft battle chest in stores as much anymore anyway.

40oz said:

about as archaic as doom to the general public.

The general public are uninformed idiots who only buy things based on newness and hype.

Then again, I take gaming way too seriously.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

If only id were as good a publisher as they were a developer.

This doesn't really make sense. Anyway, Doom has been rehashed and sold in a hundred different forms millions of times over. As I obsessively collect it, I nearly have every console version, and PC version. There's Doom 2 master levels, Depths of Doom Trilogy, the Collector's edition, twice, Doom and Quake pack, and id anthology...

I like to show my friends all the console versions of Doom I have because it's really insane how many exist, nevermind Doom 3. And then there's the intangible versions like Doom for xlba and soon Doom 2.

And then there's the engine itself which was used for Heretic, Hexen, Strife...

Oh sure, id Software was a great publisher.

In the 90s.

The only reason they're relevant anymore is because of their astounding success... in the 90s.

Rereleasing a game a billion times over is cool as long as HALF OF THOSE VERSIONS DON'T SUCK. Both DOOM GBA's were appalling, although I do hope they make a decent enhanced port for DS (there is a homebrew called DSDoom but it's kinda meh).

Look at the Starcraft: Battle Chest. That's how you package an old-ass game for modern retail significance. The last time id made a truly loving and worthy DOOM package was... in the 90s.

They can't even do it right on Steam. Reviews of the ~$80 id Super Pack are almost universally negative.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Rereleasing a game a billion times over is cool as long as HALF OF THOSE VERSIONS DON'T SUCK. Both DOOM GBA's were appalling

I see we missed SNES, 32X and Jaguar Doom, all appalling ports released during the 90s.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

I do hope they make a decent enhanced port for DS (there is a homebrew called DSDoom but it's kinda meh).

You've pretty much listed why there won't be a DS port. Anyone that owns a DS and wants to play Doom likely already has DSDoom and all the IWADs. There's no money in it.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Look at the Starcraft: Battle Chest. That's how you package an old-ass game for modern retail significance.

I'm pretty sure SBC is rather old. You're likely just hearing more about due to the release of Starcraft 2.

Viewtiful-Chris said:

Look at the Starcraft: Battle Chest. That's how you package an old-ass game for modern retail significance. The last time id made a truly loving and worthy DOOM package was... in the 90s.

Mine was $9.99

I got it a couple years ago. I can't find it on shelves as much anymore but a couple years ago is still a waaaaay long time after its heyday.

Personally, I think it's best we keep the new kida away from doom. While I don't want to bash new kids for not being all too familiar with doom, I think if people want to edit and play and enjoy doom and the many pwads there are out there, they should have to 'find' it; not have it thrown in their face.

Anyone that owns a DS and wants to play Doom likely already has DSDoom and all the IWADs. There's no money in it.

>implying that the majority of DS users have flashcarts, which is sadly not true.

And also, look at the success of XBLA Doom. Carmack's been speculating on a Quake Arena port to DS, fuck that, give us DOOM.

OR BETTER YET.

DOOM 64 DS. It could happen :P

Viewtiful-Chris said:

DOOM 64 DS. It could happen :P

There was some dude that was developing a Doom game for the DS in a similar style to Doom 64, except that it used 3D models and other such crap. That was back when DS homebrew was some new amazing concept that was ripe for the picking, and unfortunately nothing ever came from it.

Also, if I recall correctly, Kaiser was at one point doing some tests with his Doom64ex engine on the DS. Not sure how far along he got with that or if he has any plans on continuing it, but it'd be awesome if it ever got finished.