Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cronyne

"How is this possible?" Game.

Basically how this works, is you propose a screenshot or scenario, and a question to go with it, then someone answers it. Whoever gets the correct answer, makes up the next question. I'll start, with something simple.

Notice that the floor is lit, but the ceiling is not. Is this possible in Vanilla Doom? If so, how?

Middle textures offset into the sky. Or just tricky sky paradox work with middle texture usage. Either way, the answer is middle textures.

You got it right the first time.

In KDiKDiZD, the answer is almost always "custom textures," though. :P

Time for your question now.

I'm assuming (hoping) these tricks will be limited to things that are doable in Vanilla (to be honest, I immediately thought BOOM transfer lights in the first shot :P).

Regardless, this is a very interesting thread. Hopefully it will teach us all a few new technical mapping tricks. :)

Spleen said:

I'm assuming (hoping) these tricks will be limited to things that are doable in Vanilla

Well I hope they won't be limited to that but, it will be popular.

Cronyne said:

Well I hope they won't be limited to that but, it will be popular.

Do we have to guess the engine the author made the trick in, then? :S Since things are done differently in different engines.

Spleen said:

Do we have to guess the engine the author made the trick in, then? :S Since things are done differently in different engines.

Well on that base of questions, I guess it'd be better stuck to "can this be done in X engine?" Rather than "What engine was this done in?"

Cronyne said:

Well on that base of questions, I guess it'd be better stuck to "can this be done in X engine?" Rather than "What engine was this done in?"

Awesome, thanks! I can't wait for Earthquake's question. :)

When I saw the first picture I thought "Raised ceiling, no upper textures". Then I thought "BOOM transfer lights". Then I realised, nope, it's bound to be the first option of that horrible rendering glitch exploit with the no upper textures. I mean, what would be so amazing about showing a picture of a special doing exactly what it was meant to when you could show an unintuitive, ugly (in some ports) hack that just happens to work but has some physics implications and which ceased to be clever about 12 years ago. :P

You can deal with the physics implications quite easily by putting a self referencing sector inside the light.

Besides, it's only some Hardware ports that can't render it properly, and those doesn't count. :p

Enjay said:

which ceased to be clever about 12 years ago. :P

Indeed; if I map vanilla Doom, I always use lights that hit both floor and ceiling.

esselfortium said:

Raised ceiling, no upper textures (or AASHITTY, to keep Doom Builder from trying to texture it for you).

I used a trick like this in my 10sector submission to make Cacodemons that rise up out of a nukage floor.

I don't think EarthQuake is coming back.

Maybe institute a new rule that if someone answers a question without posting a new one, they just get skipped over to avoid this sort of situation?

Though I totally missed that stipulation when I posted my answer to the first one, and evidently so did EarthQuake, so I think it might need to be made more obvious somehow. >_>

Enjay said:
When I saw the first picture I thought "Raised ceiling, no upper textures". Then I thought "BOOM transfer lights". Then I realised, nope, it's bound to be the first option of that horrible rendering glitch exploit with the no upper textures. I mean, what would be so amazing about showing a picture of a special doing exactly what it was meant to when you could show an unintuitive, ugly (in some ports) hack that just happens to work but has some physics implications and which ceased to be clever about 12 years ago. :P

Talking about physics implications, I'd rather play a level with Doom behavior than one with Boom behavior, so I like the hack more. Besides, hack or not, it's one of the hacks that can really work out nicely. Compare it to using middle textures to fake 3D. Mostly that looks papery while the lighting effect looks decently solid.

Creaphis said:

KDiKDiZD IS the "How is this possible?" game.

Yeah I'm really expecting to be stumped by kdikdizd screenshots over and over.

This is one I've done before. It doesn't use the method from the first one that raises sectors without uppers/lowers to hide ceiling/floor lights. I'm pretty sure this works in vanilla but boom is the closest I can run:

It's pretty tricky to do. To be more clear this is how it looks in the editor (hopefully without giving it away):

Edit: larger screen.

Well I would have said that the floors and ceilings around it were raised and lowered but you said no....
... Something with middle textures.

What are you referring to? how the face of the texture is lit up?

Are you using dummy sectors that share linedefs with sectors in the playing area? I've done that for certain tricks, and it certainly looks like that could do it.

40oz said:

What are you referring to? how the face of the texture is lit up?

Yes.

Spleen said:

Are you using dummy sectors that share linedefs with sectors in the playing area? I've done that for certain tricks, and it certainly looks like that could do it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. You may be close.

hobomaster22 said:

I'm pretty sure this works in vanilla but boom is the closest I can run:

Chocolate Doom