Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Snakes

Unholy Realms (28 Maps Done)

Yeah, epic bump, I know. However, I just realized that I hadn't updated this in quite a long time and forgot to post when I actually started finishing maps again.

I just put the finishing touches on MAP10 yesterday, save for some tweaking to the balance and edits I've more than likely missed. I'll probably upload a demo for the megawad once I finish up the first episode (MAP11 for those who don't know).

Anyhow, I posted these in the images thread, but here are screenshots of MAP08 and MAP09, along with the layout for MAP10 as there aren't many good spots for screenies.

Also: If anyone is interested, I need testers for these maps besides myself. Please please please lemme know if ya do!

Seeing as I fda'd the first 7 maps I don't see why I shouldn't fda the next 3 ;) Got a bit of a cold so my playing might not be up to par, but I don't have class tomorrow so I can mess around with stuff all day.

Ah... I decided I was dissatisfied with the red skull area on Map10 and am going to do a revision of it. Probably won't get to upload the new version until tomorrow sometime.

I only wound up doing very slight alterations. Here's the link to the latest version of the WAD.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=924C9IR0

@Malinku: If you do playtest this, PM any notes, please. But FDAs can be linked in this thread or uploaded in the demos forum, if that thread is still going.

I'm certainly loving what I saw from the screenshots so far.

I have one question though concerning the difficulty: How tough will each "episode" of the megawad be?

So I asked myself how have i managed to totally miss this thread so far, coz these screenies look pretty good.

Nice work Snakes. :)

Just had a play through the first 4 levels. Good stuff.

Just a couple of minor things I noticed on map 02
-Linedef 1337 was misaligned
-linedef 139 and 146 should be 64 units wide, rather than 60.

Otherwise all good. (At least as far as I noticed.) I like the layout and style of the levels too. Reminds me of Agent Spork's "Ultimate Simplicity" (which is one of my favorite mapsets ever.)

As others have said, some of those traps were really well done. I haven't died yet, though a couple of times I came too close.

gun_psycho said:

I'm certainly loving what I saw from the screenshots so far.

I have one question though concerning the difficulty: How tough will each "episode" of the megawad be?

Thank you! I'm still not... erm, set on the difficulty yet. I'd like to tweak the last couple of maps before I can say. The aim is for the second episode (map 12-20) to consistently hover in a Plutonia range, with occasionally tougher moments in the vein of AV Map06. The last "episode" will probably something around PL2 in terms of difficulty, and I'm thinking maybe turning up an extra notch for Map28-Map30 to go near-slaughter. Haven't made any final decisions.

Kyka said:

So I asked myself how have i managed to totally miss this thread so far, coz these screenies look pretty good.

Nice work Snakes. :)

Just had a play through the first 4 levels. Good stuff.

Just a couple of minor things I noticed on map 02
-Linedef 1337 was misaligned
-linedef 139 and 146 should be 64 units wide, rather than 60.

Otherwise all good. (At least as far as I noticed.) I like the layout and style of the levels too. Reminds me of Agent Spork's "Ultimate Simplicity" (which is one of my favorite mapsets ever.)

As others have said, some of those traps were really well done. I haven't died yet, though a couple of times I came too close.

Took care of those misalignments. I've noticed a couple of other errors like this in Map10 that I have to fix as well. I've tried to make the first 4 maps a bit easier when I went back and played them again... the health was a little sketchy before. I don't want a high death chance at all (that starts at Map06!)

ArmouredBlood said:

Goddamn did I suck today. Some cool maps, I'm sorry I sucked so bad playing them. Hopefully you get something out of the fdas.

Man, these were pretty entertaining! Map08 was especially fun to watch as the end is great... my eyebrows raised up when you missed the plasma rifle though! Also, noticed you didn't use the secret on Map10 the last time through, which was odd.

After watching these, I think Map09 and 10 need a bit more ammo added to them. I didn't have too much problems, but then again, i know all of the traps ahead of time and will occasionally abuse that when I'm playtesting. Back to balancing!

Thanks for the feedback guys! Very helpful!

These screenshots are pure sex for me. If this plays how it looks, this'll be in my top 5 megawads ever released, right next to Requiem, Momento Mori series, AV and The Rebirth!

DeathevokatioN said:

These screenshots are pure sex for me. If this plays how it looks, this'll be in my top 5 megawads ever released, right next to Requiem, Momento Mori series, AV and The Rebirth!

Oh good, no pressure then!

I have to say, the response to this update is really driving me to push forward. I've already got the general concepts for Maps 11 and 12, but school is super-busy this week. Should calm a little next week and I can get back to work on what's really important.... Slaughtering demons.

Snakes said:

Oh good, no pressure then!

Not at all! ;)

I'll be happy to beta test for ya... Although I'll only have time to do this once my university exams are done in a few weeks time.

Hey Snakes.

Just had a play through map 5.

Man, this is a good mapset. Only criticism of map 5 is there was probably too much ammo. I went into the level with 200 bullets, 50 shells and I think about 35 rockets. Left the level with 200/50/49.
And left behind 3 boxes of bullets and 60 shells. And this with not using fists/chainsaw or any rockets for the level, only shotty and chaingun.

Otherwise, I thought this level was pretty much spot on in terms of gameplay, and I didn't notice any misalignments.

Awesome. I removed a couple of shells, and a good deal of bullets. The ammo surplus was intentional, as I thought without it, it'd be harder... Map05 was meant to ease up as Map06 could be quite a bitch. Not that surplussed, though.

I've been going about tweaking the last 3 maps during the last few days, and I found one texture on Map09 that was supposed to mark a secret that i removed... So it looks silly on your version. Thanks for the feedback, though!

Edit:

DeathevokatioN said:

I'll be happy to beta test for ya... Although I'll only have time to do this once my university exams are done in a few weeks time.

Awesome! The more input, the better!

Just a little announcement concerning this, for those interested:

A vast amount of schoolwork, combined with (in spite of a lot of interesting ideas) no motivation for mapping of late, has resulted in me putting this project on a temporary hiatus. I foresee no significant time to map for the next 4-8 weeks, save maaaaaaybe Thanksgiving week, but we'll see. I haven't even started MAP11 since the last update.

I'm still interested to hear the results of any playtesting, so feel free to post or PM me any thoughts.

Hey Snakes. Finished all the maps. Have made some notes on playtesting. Will get those to you as soon as I am able, seeing as I don't really have a decent functioning computer. Will get this to you as soon as I am able. :)

Great mapset btw.

Thank you! :)

The positive response to this has been pretty overwhelming. I'll really have to buckle down for the next bundle of maps when I get the time/interest. I've tried very hard to maintain quality throughout the whole thing, so continuing on will be much of the same. Hopefully I can sustain for another 22... fuck me, 22 maps? Goddamn it.

Don't think of it as another 22 maps to make, focus on ideas for the next 2 or 3 maps at most. Let the ideas come to you, and when you're done you'll look back and think 'daaaaamn that was a long time, what else did I do then? Doesn't matter, I had fun making some doom maps others enjoy playing!'. Then you sit back with your favorite drink and snack and watch the demos pour in ;)

Hey Snakes.

Just the results of that playtesting I mentioned. Not heaps of stuff, but I will mention what I noticed.

MAP 06:
-Sergeant in sector 337 is stuck. Well actually he is not stuck at all, he just has so little room to move that he appears to be stuck.
-The yellow key bars can be opened by pressing on them directly whereas the blue key bars right next to them cannot, which seemed kinda odd. I know you need to make the player hit the switch at linedef 1551, but still, am just sayin, is all One solution might be to make the bars 'DOORSTOP' texture instead, as there is no real need to have them blue key texture. Just a thought.
-The final door that opens to reveal the spider master mind has 3 linedefs to trigger it. I kinda ruined the effect by sneaking up from the side, pushing on the door, and then backing away to go look for a switch or something that I missed. Perhaps some barriers on the sides so that the player cannot bypass the three linedefs without walking over them from the front. This is picky as it doesn't break the level, but it is a nice effect, too nice to kind of mess up and just have the door instantly vanish as I did.

MAP 08:
-Sector 1 and sector 90 need their floors raised by 8 units. This will make the bricks line up much more neatly. This will mean linedef 619 will need some realigning.
-This one broke the level. It is possible to hit the switch at linedef 2267 without triggering linedef 2148. Which means you will probably fall into the pit at sector 244, as I did. Oops.
-Great music on this level. Where is it from? I feel like I know it, but I might be thinking of something else.

I was reasonably thorough, though I freely confess I was too busy enjoying myself to be as nitpicky as I perhaps should have been. Hope this stuff helps anyway. Looking forwards to more levels. :)

Kyka, thanks for the compliment on the music :) I don't remember what the song was, I'm not at home right now. Once I hear it again, I can tell you what inspired me for the song, what I 'borrowed' and what not X]

[edits]
I thought it was this one... basically follows the similar formula of E1M5. Sorta 'borrowed' part of the melody from Suicide Commando's "Love Breeds Suicide" and put it with part of the melody from Agonoize's "Kopralalie." If you listen to Aggrotech / Industrial / EBM / Dark Elektro, you might have heard one of those songs down the line.

Kyka said:

Hey Snakes.

Just the results of that playtesting I mentioned. Not heaps of stuff, but I will mention what I noticed.

MAP 06:
-Sergeant in sector 337 is stuck. Well actually he is not stuck at all, he just has so little room to move that he appears to be stuck.
-The yellow key bars can be opened by pressing on them directly whereas the blue key bars right next to them cannot, which seemed kinda odd. I know you need to make the player hit the switch at linedef 1551, but still, am just sayin, is all One solution might be to make the bars 'DOORSTOP' texture instead, as there is no real need to have them blue key texture. Just a thought.
-The final door that opens to reveal the spider master mind has 3 linedefs to trigger it. I kinda ruined the effect by sneaking up from the side, pushing on the door, and then backing away to go look for a switch or something that I missed. Perhaps some barriers on the sides so that the player cannot bypass the three linedefs without walking over them from the front. This is picky as it doesn't break the level, but it is a nice effect, too nice to kind of mess up and just have the door instantly vanish as I did.

MAP 08:
-Sector 1 and sector 90 need their floors raised by 8 units. This will make the bricks line up much more neatly. This will mean linedef 619 will need some realigning.
-This one broke the level. It is possible to hit the switch at linedef 2267 without triggering linedef 2148. Which means you will probably fall into the pit at sector 244, as I did. Oops.
-Great music on this level. Where is it from? I feel like I know it, but I might be thinking of something else.

I was reasonably thorough, though I freely confess I was too busy enjoying myself to be as nitpicky as I perhaps should have been. Hope this stuff helps anyway. Looking forwards to more levels. :)

Fixed up all of the mistakes you pointed out. Thank you a ton, especially for that MAP08-breaker. Never considered that.

I do want to ask this, though: How do you feel on the difficulty of these maps so far? I'm trying to keep it relatively restrained... Map10 is the first of the bigger challenges I wanted, with flashes of those moments in the other ones.

BlazingPhoenix said:

This looks pretty neat. :)

Thank you :)

Progress again:

MAP11 (thing placement in progress)

MAP15

I'm pretty damn glad to be done with the first episode. MAP11 was driving me crazy (sick of the same textures), and I don't think it's my best work, but whatever. MAP15 rocks, though. I'm more than 1/3 done, hooray!

Wow map 11 looks good, and this is my favorite sky :D
Good luck with your project, well I started a 1 man project aswell and I'm a beginner with doom editing (started 4 and half months ago) I hope to build good maps like yours.

It lives yet again!!! Now 15 maps are totally completed.

12 map demo can be found here. This will likely be the last public release of UR until the beta phase.

Comments, criticisms, and FDAs are all welcome and encouraged.

Not included in the 12 maps demo is this:

Lack of armor and cyber teleport fight in 11 made me do silly things in 12. I liked 11, but it's not fun to fda, heheh. 12 is cool, using map01 of av's midi makes it feel that much more in the style, though it feels a bit sparse and a bit easy after 11 and what I remember of the other maps. Maybe going crazy and running everywhere just works for that map.

ArmouredBlood said:

Lack of armor and cyber teleport fight in 11 made me do silly things in 12. I liked 11, but it's not fun to fda, heheh. 12 is cool, using map01 of av's midi makes it feel that much more in the style, though it feels a bit sparse and a bit easy after 11 and what I remember of the other maps. Maybe going crazy and running everywhere just works for that map.

Oh wow... 11 turned out to be way harder than I thought it was. I always try to close out an 'episode' with a map that sort of sums things up in a challenging way, so I guess this is what I wanted. TBH, this is the one single map that I didn't feel entirely satisfied with when I finished it, but after the FDA, I think I accomplished what I went for... I just need to make those bars raise whenever a player drops into the + at the bottom of the lift.

I'll be honest with you, that is exactly how MAP12 was intended to be. Watching that FDA brought a smile to my face. So far, the 3 maps I've finished for the second episode have all been designed with the details pulled back and the gameplay turned into a chaotic experience.

As always, thanks for the FDAs.

DeathevokatioN said:

That new screen looks really epic. :)

You should have an e-mail with it attached! Note that I changed my address, though.