Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kristus

Adam Savage on god and religion.

Good evening.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to read my speech from my new iPad.

At this point I already thought nothing intelligent can come from someone who's basically doing a slighty more eloquent rendition of the usual "hay guyz I'm posting this from my iphone/ipad", but I kept reading just to see if I was correct in assuming that.

Sure enough, he continues with a lot of "duh" stuff, moves on to take quick jabs at religions, and finishes with name-dropping as he has no clue how to conclude what is the equivalent of some baseless rambling on some teen's livejournal.

Time to google up to see who that guy is... How surprising, another american actor. The less you know, the more you're heard.

I thought I was a humanist until my wife pointed out that I hate people and think that almost everyone I meet is an idiot. I decided not to renew my membership.

who? this didnt have any real interesting stuff in it at all.... this didn't make any kind of compelling argument for anything really and felt like an ad for apple

Bucket said:

Peter Steele: dead
Zac Efron: alive

That just proves that like Job we are all condemned to suffer... cuz God feels like it.

I must agree with Phml here.

So I understand the desire for someone to be in charge. (As a side note, I believe that the need for conspiracy theories is similar to the need for God.) We'd all like our good and evil to be like it is in the movies: specific and horrible, easy to defeat. But it's not. It's banal.

Pretty much what I think when I see one of these pampered media guys going at it against religion. It's their conspiracy theory, and it makes their black and white world easier. It even makes money.

Mr. T said:

Prove that there is no God

Prove that there is no Buddha.
Prove that there is no Brahma.
Prove that there is no Zeus.
Prove that there is no Odin.
Prove that there is no Rain God Bob.

there is only john romero. except he died after map30.

Meh, just another person who seems to think that all religious people have a super-conservative or even extremist stance. A lot of his arguments are regurgitated from your typical Dawkins/Hitchens/etc. BS. I hate how the most ridiculous people always set the perception that it's the standard. I've experienced people thinking that I'd be like Dawkins simply because they found out I'm an atheist. It's annoying as hell.

40oz said:

there is only john romero. except he died after map30.

Then again, he has been resurrected numerous times thereafter. Hm....

tl;dr

Mr. T said:

Uh what, is he trying to mythbust GOD?

Mentos and Diet Coke is proof that God exists and wants us to be happy.

Snakes said:

Meh, just another person who seems to think that all religious people have a super-conservative or even extremist stance. A lot of his arguments are regurgitated from your typical Dawkins/Hitchens/etc. BS. I hate how the most ridiculous people always set the perception that it's the standard. I've experienced people thinking that I'd be like Dawkins simply because they found out I'm an atheist. It's annoying as hell.

Are you saying it's only ok to be an atheist so long as you have no convictions and take no stands against things you think are wrong? Such as religious people trying to inject their dogma into public education, and actively campaigning to wage a war of disinformation?

Quasar: You're not allowed to take stands against religion. The religious have no viable counter-arguments, so the discussion is banned and the people taking the stands are discarded as pampered media people who are only trying to make money.

Quasar said:

Are you saying it's only ok to be an atheist so long as you have no convictions and take no stands against things you think are wrong? Such as religious people trying to inject their dogma into public education, and actively campaigning to wage a war of disinformation?

Not at all. I was just expressing a frustration that those people create generalizations that aren't necessarily true. Equating religion to idiocracy... That's something I don't agree with. The same goes for the religious people who equate atheism to idiocracy. What you're discussing is a bleeding of religion into public life and politics. Trust me, you and I will agree on a lot of things there.

I'm a bit confused as how got that message from me.

Quasar said:
Such as religious people trying to inject their dogma into public education, and actively campaigning to wage a war of disinformation?

I don't see any specifics in this person's blog but a rant against religion in general. If equating religion to intolerant and deceptive zealots is fine, equating atheists to fascists is also valid.

Just because someone is talking about issues that may be of concern, such as religious groups causing problems due to their strictures or intolerance, doesn't mean they are saying intelligent things. Among one's worst enemies are those that share some ideas or principles but twist them into something lame or trite.

It just reads like a rambling rant that jumps around all over the place. It is in no way a convincing or even particularly coherent argument about anything.

Adam Savage should stick to blowing things up on TV. Religious debate is out of character for him.

WildWeasel said:

Adam Savage should stick to blowing things up on TV. Religious debate is out of character for him.

Totally. I can't even come close to taking him seriously when it comes to philosophy. He's too goofy.

Still love him though.

Mr. T said:

Adam Savage hasn't been swept away by flood waters, struck by lightning or turned into a pillar of salt.

I consider myself an atheist, and quite frankly I think that Dawkins is a troll. Then again, I'm a spiritual atheist, so he'd probably call me a moron or something. I honestly wish everyone would stop pushing their religious ideals on everyone, no matter what side they are on.

printz said:

tl;dr
Uh what, is he trying to mythbust GOD?

Pretty much. But all he ended up busting was his credibility. All the Adam Savages and Jesuspedos from that youtube video of the world like arguing over something that literally can't be proven either way.

Why? Because being right when someone else is WRONG feels so, so good