Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Viewtiful-Chris

Beautiful screenshots

Recommended Posts

I recently impressed someone on another forum by posting some of the fancier RealGuns screenshots. Now I'm wondering if people could supply me with screenshots that show just how beautiful DOOM can get.

Only thing I can think of is Deus Vult II, and I'm having trouble finding good high-res screenies of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Kyka said:

Malinku, what nmap is that from..?

Amazing stuff

Looks like Espi's The Shrine from Eternal doom 4 or was it 3? Take screenshots of Thunderpeak, some of Mechadon and Eternal's work and that new release by ReX, Paranoid. Link for that here: http://doomnexus.drdteam.org/paranoid.html

Share this post


Link to post
Malinku said:


What the shit? He's using 3d models in that mod? I don't care anymore :(

On topic: It's probably best you use screenshots from popular megawads instead of these standalone projects that are extremely different from each other and don't really play like doom. If you attract new blood to playing doom I'm pretty sure they'd get turned off pretty fast if the wads they're playing don't ALL look like they do in these pictures.

You should probably get a screenshot of a Slaughterfest map to demonstrate that doom is fuckin intense, then screenshots of some good looking parts of Scythe 2, and Kama Sutra (a wad that uses existing Doom 2 textures, since that's what new players should expect to see a lot). Also there's a bucketload of pretty good screenshots of works in progress in the "Post your Doom Picture" thread.

Share this post


Link to post

And Cybie, LOTS and LOTS of Cybie. <3

Share this post


Link to post
40oz said:

On topic: It's probably best you use screenshots from popular megawads instead of these standalone projects that are extremely different from each other and don't really play like doom. If you attract new blood to playing doom I'm pretty sure they'd get turned off pretty fast if the wads they're playing don't ALL look like they do in these pictures.


Isn't the very point of this thread to post shots that show Doom as the best it can look? Kind of silly to make up rules saying what projects can or can't be posted.

Share this post


Link to post
zap610 said:

Isn't the very point of this thread to post shots that show Doom as the best it can look? Kind of silly to make up rules saying what projects can or can't be posted.


I was under the impression that the OP is trying to encourage more people to get into Doom because of what a great game it is (that appeared to be his motive in the "Fuck Battle Chest" thread) and I feel as though showing these screenshots would be kind of a (I use this phrase loosely) "false advertising" of the game. I think the OP would be more successful in attracting long-term doom fans if he showed off what doom REALLY is instead of a screenshot of a really obscure wad that I would expect someone to be like "OH WOW THIS IS AWESOME" then play it and be done with doom for good shortly after playing because there aren't many wads (if any) that inherit the same style and craftsmanship.

But then again if that's not the OP's goal then I'm done talking.

Share this post


Link to post
40oz said:

I was under the impression that the OP is trying to encourage more people to get into Doom because of what a great game it is (that appeared to be his motive in the "Fuck Battle Chest" thread) and I feel as though showing these screenshots would be kind of a (I use this phrase loosely) "false advertising" of the game. I think the OP would be more successful in attracting long-term doom fans if he showed off what doom REALLY is instead of a screenshot of a really obscure wad that I would expect someone to be like "OH WOW THIS IS AWESOME" then play it and be done with doom for good shortly after playing because there aren't many wads (if any) that inherit the same style and craftsmanship.

But then again if that's not the OP's goal then I'm done talking.


Total Chaos cant even be considered a "Doom mod" in the strictest sense, anyway. AFAIK it runs on a modified version of an already massively modified version of the original engine.

Surely it's a little like taking a Ferrari FXX to a classic Ferrari owner's meet-up on the grounds that the same badge is on the bonnet.

Share this post


Link to post

These screenshots show what Doom can do not what most of the doom mods are like. If he wanted to show what doom mods are like he would of need gameplay footage. As some of the mods that play the best don't have grabing visuals (most good dual maps)

and you could also show them that there is still a good muiltplayer scene going (FNF and hopefuly a event like FNF for Odamex)

Share this post


Link to post
DoomUK said:

Total Chaos cant even be considered a "Doom mod" in the strictest sense, anyway.


Sure it is. It's for Doom, it's a mod; therefore it's a Doom mod. What makes it any less of a Doom mod than Foreverhood, AD2, or even Grove?

DoomUK said:

AFAIK it runs on a modified version of an already massively modified version of the original engine.


What makes you think that?

DoomUK said:

Surely it's a little like taking a Ferrari FXX to a classic Ferrari owner's meet-up on the grounds that the same badge is on the bonnet.


This would be true if the OP specified what kind of shots shouldn't be posted, which he or she didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
40oz said:

I was under the impression that the OP is trying to encourage more people to get into Doom because of what a great game it is (that appeared to be his motive in the "Fuck Battle Chest" thread) and I feel as though showing these screenshots would be kind of a (I use this phrase loosely) "false advertising" of the game. I think the OP would be more successful in attracting long-term doom fans if he showed off what doom REALLY is instead of a screenshot of a really obscure wad that I would expect someone to be like "OH WOW THIS IS AWESOME" then play it and be done with doom for good shortly after playing because there aren't many wads (if any) that inherit the same style and craftsmanship.

But then again if that's not the OP's goal then I'm done talking.


Well now I just want to see what can be shown, but I did show Patrick's (jawdropping) screenie to my regular forum, along with a "Look at the grass if you don't believe me." note (it repeats).

My main point is to show that a game from 1993 still has the potential to look absolutely breathtaking in the hands of the right people. I'm pretty sure once they try it they'll discover the gameplay is awesome as well.

Share this post


Link to post

I just read the entire Total Chaos thread and almost pissed myself due to the awesomeness of those screenshots.

The character models look like they're straight out of F.E.A.R. Fucking amazing.

Wad'a'holic better still be working on this. The last post in the thread was written in 2009...

Share this post


Link to post
Whoo said:

hi guys i wanted to tell you that if a doom mod has awesum graphics it isnt a doom mod


I guess Splinter Cell qualifies as an Unreal II mod, Half-Life a Quake mod, etc.

Share this post


Link to post

Nah, even if those screenshots look top-notch, Doom still can't do moving floating and especially wobbling platforms :)

Share this post


Link to post

One could be technical and say for something to be a mod it needs the original games exe to run under. So none of these sourceport mods are technically Doom mods.

Share this post


Link to post

If it uses a commercial IWAD or the source code, then it's a Doom mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Scet said:

If it uses a commercial IWAD or the source code, then it's a Doom mod.


Nerrrr... so every game based off the Quake engine is a Quake mod?NO

Share this post


Link to post
Mr. T said:

Nerrrr... so every game based off the Quake engine is a Quake mod?NO


I think there's somewhat of an exception with the DOOM engine. None of the commercial games based off the DOOM engine really deviated much from the original tech, and thus I refer to EVERYTHING under the id Tech 1 umbrella as DOOM.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×